Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2008, 05:26 PM

4 posts, read 12,356 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving our family at the end of March. I have been looking on the internet for homes with acreage and have found some very nice properties in Live Oak, Lake City and Fort White. We have horses and looking for a horse friendly area with a good school for my 14 yr old daughter.
can anyone give me any input on these areas? I live in Kentucky now and it is hard to real estate shop via the internet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 05:34 PM

149 posts, read 700,896 times
This website may be of interest to you. Good luck!

The Ocala Horse Farm Experts - Rob & Chris Desino - Ocala Farms and Florida Farms for sale.

Old 02-13-2008, 06:46 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,661,654 times
Ocala is horse heaven. If you like horses it the place to be!

Old 02-13-2008, 07:11 PM

548 posts, read 540,522 times
If you want a great horse area and nice acreage you may want to look at Jupiter Farms. It is nestled between lake Okeechobee and the ocean and has a nice breeze year round.

A 14 year old would love it, you get land but are very close to the ocean, great schools, and tons to do.

You can rent right now with a few acres dirt cheap. The local park has a riding ring and the entire area is a horse person's paradise....even the sign entering town instructs people how to drive around horses.

It is much warmer in the winter than Ocala. And it is very near Palm Beach Gardens with world class shopping and amenities.

Old 02-14-2008, 01:25 PM

2 posts, read 9,319 times
Default Horse Friendly Florida

Try Hernando County. It's the northernmost county and part of Tampa Bay. The eastern portion of the county is very farm/horse friendly. There are some 1-2acre communities in Brooksville that somewhat cater to the horse folk.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:44 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by horsepoor View Post
My husband and I are moving our family at the end of March. I have been looking on the internet for homes with acreage and have found some very nice properties in Live Oak, Lake City and Fort White. We have horses and looking for a horse friendly area with a good school for my 14 yr old daughter.
can anyone give me any input on these areas? I live in Kentucky now and it is hard to real estate shop via the internet.
Live Oak and Lake City are near Jacksonville, so you can always post your Q's on the Jacksonville subforum if you want feedback from the locals, but there's not much to tell.

Lake City has a bit more going on, but it is still a tiny town and very rural. Live Oak is all rural, from what I've seen. I'm not sure about the schools there? Try searching their county school district website for some info and then you can search the individual schools on Florida's FCAT site to get an idea of ratings:

Florida's Comprehensive Assessment Test (FCAT)

You might - might - find work in Lake City, I don't know what people do for work in Live Oak. Commuting from either to Jacksonville for work would be a miserable commute. So unless you are retired or self-employed from home, the employment situation could rule out Live Oak and Lake City.

Why not just come closer in to the larger city itself? Jacksonville's far Westside IS rural.....we have rural areas inside the city limits. Horses are popular out there. Jacksonville has a new Equestrian Center out that way too:

Equestrian and Recreation

As you're considering Lake City and Live Oak, you might want to add Keystone Heights to your list. From Keystone, you could commute to work on the Westside of Jacksonville or Orange Park (Clay county) or even Gainesville.....more work options from Keystone, IMO, and it's very rural.

Old 02-20-2008, 02:27 PM

4 posts, read 12,356 times
thanks for the info.. we are both retired. my husband is a retired police officer and I am a retired corrections officer. if we were to look for employment we would maybe want something part time. I would like to maybe work for the ASPCA or a local vet. we have always lived in a small town and don't mind that a bit. I do have a question. Alot of the houses I have seen say close to HITS.. what is HITS?

Old 02-20-2008, 03:00 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,226,172 times
HITS stands for Horse Shows In The Sun. It is a series of AA rated hunter/jumper shows. When the series began it was in Gainesville & Ocala. It has grown over the years.

Welcome to Horse Shows In The Sun (HITS)

Old 04-06-2008, 05:20 PM

247 posts, read 1,289,870 times
Also, in the unicorporated area of West Palm Beach called The Acreage...zip codes 33412 and 33470 (Loxahatchee) All of the lots are between 1.15-2.00 acres and is an Equestrian area.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:34 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,126,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by horsepoor View Post
All of those areas are good for what you are looking for, but the schools may be an issue in more rural areas.

Tallahassee has better schools and a very thriving local horse culture. This is where they hold the Red Hills trials every year - the Olympic horse trials for the Eastern US. The place is surrounded by horse ranches, especially the land east of Tallahassee around Miccosukee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida