Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 02:49 PM

21 posts, read 20,610 times

Advertisements

If I were to move to Florida, what city would you recommend? I'm guessing the weather is approximately the same throughout. Does the east side suffer more damage from hurricanes? If a hurricane comes in from the Atlantic, I would think it would dissipate some before hitting the west side. Also, this Wall Street Journal article says that east side cities are more expensive. Is that correct? It appears that the Tampa/St.P area is the largest metro on the west side, so that would be my first pick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2016, 03:08 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
A hurricane hasn't affected Florida for over a decade now so I wouldn't necessarily make that a primary criteria for your search. Do you like urban, suburban or more rural? Is being on/near the coast important to you? Is public school quality a concern? Do you have a job yet and what is it you do for work? What kind of salary and budget are you working with? Those questions and their answers will help you narrow better in my opinion.

Old 04-30-2016, 05:51 AM

296 posts, read 319,313 times
I've only lived here a short time, but visited enough and read some....at least enough to know fla weather IS NOT the same throughout.

Old 05-02-2016, 02:26 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,572,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentosa712 View Post
If I were to move to Florida, what city would you recommend? I'm guessing the weather is approximately the same throughout. Does the east side suffer more damage from hurricanes? If a hurricane comes in from the Atlantic, I would think it would dissipate some before hitting the west side. Also, this Wall Street Journal article says that east side cities are more expensive. Is that correct? It appears that the Tampa/St.P area is the largest metro on the west side, so that would be my first pick.

Hurricanes do hit from the west or Gulf side as well so the west coast can get a full direct hit by a hurricane. Statistically NE Florida( Jacksonville) and Tampa area are least likely to get hit by hurricane. South Florida, The Keys and Western Panhandle( Pensacola) are more likely to get hit. But there it possibility for anywhere in Florida to be hit by a Category 5 hurricane like Andrew or Katrina again

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you need to work obviously the bigger metro areas( S Florida, Tampa Bay, Orlando or Jacksonville) will have more jobs. What do you do for a living? Or are your retired or independently wealthy?

That would make a difference on where would be best for you.

Old 05-03-2016, 12:43 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,105,575 times
Small town: Sarasota

Large Town: Fort Lauderdale, St. Pete

Old 05-06-2016, 02:04 PM

39 posts, read 46,306 times
Default I lived on the east coast and the west coast

I have sold real estate in Miami for over 9 years before moving to the Sarasota area and selling real estate. The east coast from Boca on south is expensive compared to the real estate prices and overall cost of living of the Sarasota/Bradenton area. For example, I sold a 2 BR townhome in Broward Co, Hallandale area (1/2 mi from the beach) no garage, about 1800 sf totally redone for $350K. A 2 BR home, plus den with a 2car garage, pool, gated golf course community with updates sold for $350K in Bradenton. Both residences were sold or bought in the same month, same year.

The quality of life in a smaller community may be better for you if you do not want to put up with heavy traffic that the east coast has. Sarasota does get busy during season, but since I have lived on both coasts, I'll take the west over the east any day.

Last edited by Sarasota Sandy; 05-06-2016 at 02:07 PM.. Reason: not finished

Old 05-06-2016, 02:12 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,692,068 times
Weather is only the same throughout in the Summer.

Winter temps can vary quite a bit.

It could be 45 degrees in Jacksonville 60 in Orlando and 75 in Miami on any given winter day.

Old 05-10-2016, 09:40 AM

2,391 posts, read 5,047,978 times
The weather varies throughout the state as someone mentioned. You need to visit the state and stay awhile in various places to see what you like and where. It is quite I think on the Gulf side in comparison to the Atlantic side. There are more people from up East on the Atlantic side I've encountered.

Old 05-10-2016, 09:50 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,633,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarasota Sandy View Post
I have sold real estate in Miami for over 9 years before moving to the Sarasota area and selling real estate. The east coast from Boca on south is expensive compared to the real estate prices and overall cost of living of the Sarasota/Bradenton area. For example, I sold a 2 BR townhome in Broward Co, Hallandale area (1/2 mi from the beach) no garage, about 1800 sf totally redone for $350K. A 2 BR home, plus den with a 2car garage, pool, gated golf course community with updates sold for $350K in Bradenton. Both residences were sold or bought in the same month, same year.

The quality of life in a smaller community may be better for you if you do not want to put up with heavy traffic that the east coast has. Sarasota does get busy during season, but since I have lived on both coasts, I'll take the west over the east any day.

Your examples are entirely misleading. I have a townhouse a mile or so from the beach that I bought for $115k. $350k can also buy you a very nice home in Broward, with a pool, on a golf course if that's your thing.

Old 05-11-2016, 06:46 AM

39 posts, read 46,306 times
I stated the facts. I sold 118 homes last year and have a good pulse on the real estate market. Misleading should not be part of this reply since that would indicate some type of fraud. Both transactions are public record and reported sales. Not sure if you made that purchase of 115K in Hallandale with the same sq footage and location. Since real estate is truly about location, values differ, but hey you must be the expert here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida