Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2016, 08:32 AM

16 posts, read 29,159 times

Advertisements

So many posts are 5-10 years old so the information may not be applicable to today's Florida. I would love to hear from people about what it's like to live in Florida today. Personally, I am looking for a certain feel to where I retire. Retirement communities are fine. First I am NOT a golfer and could care less about a retirement community that has golf courses (it seems that everyone thinks golfing is the only thing retirees want to do). My preference would be coffee shop/bookstore/great little shopping area. I am not excited about humidity so the less of that the better. I am not wealthy so searching for a lower cost of living but that will not put me in a trashy, high crime location is a must. Quality healthcare is important. I would love to be near water on either side.

Also, have read that insurance is a killer from so many. Is this still the case?

Is my order too tall? Are there places in Florida that might fit all of what I am hoping for?

Thanks to anyone responding. I am grateful for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2016, 08:39 AM

4,913 posts, read 2,709,753 times
auto insurance is the 5th highest in the US...and steadily going up..housing is cheaper (maybe) but steadily on the rise too..
groceries are higher..
Quote:
I am not excited about humidity so the less of that the better
..forgettabout then..cause it's extremely humid down here..and HOT..but the winters are nice..best to be a snowbird if you can afford it.

Old 05-21-2016, 08:45 AM

511 posts, read 523,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zilli View Post
So many posts are 5-10 years old so the information may not be applicable to today's Florida. I would love to hear from people about what it's like to live in Florida today. Personally, I am looking for a certain feel to where I retire. Retirement communities are fine. First I am NOT a golfer and could care less about a retirement community that has golf courses (it seems that everyone thinks golfing is the only thing retirees want to do). My preference would be coffee shop/bookstore/great little shopping area. I am not excited about humidity so the less of that the better. I am not wealthy so searching for a lower cost of living but that will not put me in a trashy, high crime location is a must. Quality healthcare is important. I would love to be near water on either side.

Also, have read that insurance is a killer from so many. Is this still the case?

Is my order too tall? Are there places in Florida that might fit all of what I am hoping for?

Avoiding humidity in Florida is not easy.

As long as you stay away from most of south Florida, and the big cities, you should be able to find something affordable, and with lower crime. As for coffee shops, and bookstores, they are all over the place, so finding a town like that shouldn't be hard. Some that come to mind would be, almost anywhere in Seminole and Lake county, and even parts of Polk county.

As for insurance, if you are on Medicare it is very affordable, and there are tons of options. I have helped a few people on this forum with their Medicare coverage. Feel free to private message me if you like and I can help you

Old 05-21-2016, 08:55 AM

16 posts, read 29,159 times
Default Looking in Florida where to retire

I was looking at the Titusville area, near NASA. Up & coming now that NASA contracted w/ new private companies. Old town w/ lots of new & upcoming plans due to the projected reentry of NASA employees. But right now they have higher county taxes.

I'm looking to next explore the west coast of FL. Know folks who recently moved to Homosassa Springs./ They needed good school system. Great house prices. They love it.

New community being built up called Nokatee, not too far south of Jacksonville. Town within a towen if you like these type of communities. Very young population from what I saw. Will have 12 schools when done I was told. Built single family homes, town houses, condos (all sold out), & 55 & older community.

Port St Lucie has a town within a town also. Much smaller scale. Not sure why but these planned communities always make me think of a book I read years ago - The Stepford Wives. Everything planned, the same, & in order! Guess I prefer more natural settings.

Old 05-21-2016, 10:56 AM

27,231 posts, read 44,131,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zilli View Post

With those criteria in mind I would recommend cities like Melbourne, Indialantic, Vero Beach, Stuart, Dunedin and Fort Myers all of which have nice shopping downtowns and fairly reasonable real estate on the coast with quality healthcare nearby.

Old 05-23-2016, 08:48 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,535,927 times
I think planned communities would have the more metropolitan feel you're looking for, like The Villages, Sun City, or more recent developments further south like Babcock Ranch or Ave Maria. But if you don't like humidity, Florida may not be for you, why not consider Texas or Arizona?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida