Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2016, 02:27 PM

6,430 posts, read 4,922,941 times

Advertisements

I advise anyone looking to move to Florida watch this PBS show Nova called Sinkholes - Buried Alive

Watch Full Episodes Online of NOVA on PBS | Sinkholes

They gave an example that if you had 50 acres you wanted to sell, you don't want to know if there are sinkholes because then you couldn't sell it. If a developer bought it they don't want to know because they put in all that infrastructure for nothing. The local government doesn't want to know because then they wouldn't get tax revenue. So in the end it falls on the homeowner.

I asked my realtor about sinkholes and he said they won't insure homes within a mile of one. I asked what would happen if one opened up within a mile of an existing developement, would they cancel everyones insurance? He had no answer for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2016, 02:52 PM

Location: Westchester County, NY -> Pinellas County, FL -> Dutchess County, NY -> Denver?
348 posts, read 535,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
I advise anyone looking to move to Florida watch this PBS show Nova called Sinkholes - Buried Alive

They gave an example that if you had 50 acres you wanted to sell, you don't want to know if there are sinkholes because then you couldn't sell it. If a developer bought it they don't want to know because they put in all that infrastructure for nothing. The local government doesn't want to know because then they wouldn't get tax revenue. So in the end it falls on the homeowner.

I asked my realtor about sinkholes and he said they won't insure homes within a mile of one. I asked what would happen if one opened up within a mile of an existing developement, would they cancel everyones insurance? He had no answer for me.
I would start worrying about those property taxes in Buffalo if i were you.

Old 05-27-2016, 05:11 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,409,991 times
Quote:

This will help.

Sinkhole Maps of Florida Counties

Please be aware that virtually every State has sinkholes.

Old 05-31-2016, 11:01 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,574,604 times
Sinkholes are most common in Florida NW or Orlando and NNE of Tampa. ^^^ the sinkhole maps of each county will give you more information. You will notice most counties do not have more than a handful sinkholes.

Old 05-31-2016, 02:54 PM

261 posts, read 261,292 times
The terrible traffic and horrible infrastructure plans is the main problem here. Sinkholes big deal some counties get more than others some in Florida none at all.

Old 06-01-2016, 01:15 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,729,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
This will help.

Sinkhole Maps of Florida Counties

Please be aware that virtually every State has sinkholes.

Even the desert has them!
https://wryheat.wordpress.com/2013/0...es-in-arizona/

Old 06-02-2016, 11:37 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,975,323 times
Quote:
It's not all Florida, it's only a problem in Western-Central Florida the area better known as Sinkhole alley. I personally wouldn't buy a property around that area for that reason.

I read something today about phosphate mining contributing to the problem.

Old 06-03-2016, 07:07 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,574,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
It's not all Florida, it's only a problem in Western-Central Florida the area better known as Sinkhole alley. I personally wouldn't buy a property around that area for that reason.

I read something today about phosphate mining contributing to the problem.
Taking lots of water out of the ground is the problem. Phosphate mining and agricuture take much more water than residential use.

The limestone substrate of Florida is the reason sinkholes happen here. They can happen anywhere in state but most common area is as described above..

Alachua County(Gainesville) and the city of Alachua get it's name from the Spanishization of the Timacua word for sinkhole... la chua

An article from insurance journal... Top 10 counties for sinkholes in FL. NW of Orlando and N or Tampa are the worst
http://www.insurancejournal.com/news.../30/192278.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida