Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best big city of Florida
Jacksonville 9 16.07%
Miami 9 16.07%
Tampa 21 37.50%
St. Petersburg 8 14.29%
Orlando 8 14.29%
Ft. Lauderdale 5 8.93%
Tallahassee 5 8.93%
Other (specify) 2 3.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 01:36 PM

75 posts, read 232,686 times

Advertisements

What do you think is the best overall big city in Florida, when considering cost of living, job market, development, crime, wages, commute, etc. Just overall. I was just curious to see people's opinions!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 01:48 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
-Orlando probably has the best job market, although it still sucks.
-The West Palm Beach vicinity probably has the highest quality new developments.
-Statistically the Ft. Lauderdale area is the safest out of the big cities, by far actually (go do your research guys).
-Commutes are fine anywhere except for Miami and Orlando. There they suck. I think Ft. Lauderdale has the most efficient road system for it's size.
-Wages suck state wide, but any southeast Florida city has the highest.
-Cost of living is lowest in JAX.

Even though I didn't mention Tampa in any of these categories, I think it might be the most well rounded. It's Achilles heel is the crime rate. I think the Ft. Lauderdale area might gain second place, and it's Achilles heel is the cost of living and tendency to polarize. Tallahassee is 3rd place, I think it's biggest problem would be the job market, also crime is above the state average in Leon County. Jacksonville is fourth, but the crime rate in Duval County is high, wages are low, although surrounding counties are safe. Orlando is not a good place to be, with high traffic, highest crime, transient population, particularly humid summer due to inland location, and general lack of redeeming assets, although it's typically been the job market leader, although the quality of jobs might be lower than South FL (which still has low quality jobs). Miami is great if your rich, but thats also not a very good place to be in general. I tie in St. Petersburg with Tampa, although it has this "rusty" feeling that isn't typical to Florida.

I voted Tampa, although Ft. Lauderdale area can be good if your young, single, like a diverse population and have plenty of disposable income. It's also statistically safe in comparison to other parts of FL, as it's county is the only one to be below the state average of the main counties.

I would personally live near Tampa, the WPB vicinity, and maybe the Tallahassee area. Jacksonville is too sprawl-ish bland for me without much to do, Orlando I generally don't like, Miami rubs me the wrong way, St. Petersburg is kinda cool but I tie it in with Tampa because it's so close, and I already live near Ft. Lauderdale and generally like the area, although for some reason a lot of people seem to think this is the armpit of America.

Oh yeah, and don't forget about mid sized college towns like Gainesville. I prefer Tallahassee as a college town but Gainesville is nice too, albeit high in crime.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 02-15-2008 at 02:04 PM..

Old 02-15-2008, 01:52 PM

105 posts, read 550,605 times
Orlando in my opinion is the best for the 18-34 outgoing demographic, a little more expensive than Tampa, cheaper than South Florida, w/ lots of entertainment options. Probably not the best choice for families though, that would probably go to the Tampa area

Old 02-15-2008, 02:56 PM

367 posts, read 1,686,988 times
Greater Tampa and the Beaches, not a city, but it all runs together like a large metropolis, lots for every type, age, gender etc etc

Old 02-15-2008, 07:01 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
So far this thread is great! Nobody has been voting for Miami, the worst city in florida.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:38 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
Talking Well who did you THINK I was going to vote for?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
...Jacksonville is fourth, but the crime rate in Duval County is high, wages are low, although surrounding counties are safe....Jacksonville is too sprawl-ish bland for me without much to do...
Compelledtoreply brought up something we hear about Jax a lot...

People look at Jacksonville and think that in order to be safe, they have to live completely outside of Jacksonville, and that's just not the case. Then those same people complain about the homogeneous neighborhoods, nothing but cheap chain restaurants, etc.

The truth is that while we do have a higher crime rate than any of us would like to see, much of it is localized and can be avoided. There are tons of good, solid, safe areas in the city where families can - and do - live.

And unlike many other Florida cities, Jacksonville has small but vibrant urban neighborhoods dating back to just after The Great Fire (1901):

rap

San Marco Preservation Society

Historic Springfield - Jacksonville, Florida (http://sparcouncil.org/Mambo/component/option,com_frontpage/Itemid,1/ - broken link)

Historical Tours of Jacksonville, Florida

Old 02-15-2008, 07:41 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
Well, South Tampa has large but vibrant urban neighborhoods (well, by sunbelt standards anyway, not by "real city" standards). Tampa wins! Also Tampa's crime rate is relatively high but it's been downright tumbling every year, something the rest of the state isn't doing. Tampa in the 90's was quite depressed though so it had nowhere to go but up...

Now, I don't mean to generalize JAX as a whole, becuase don't get me wrong I wouldn't mind living in Mandarin or one of the neighborhoods by the St. Johns, and I see more potential in it than anywhere else in the state because it's basically like a clean slate right now, and I hope to see it learn from the mistakes they made in Orlando, Miami, Ft. Lauderdale etc.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:54 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post

Now, I don't mean to generalize JAX as a whole, becuase don't get me wrong I wouldn't mind living in Mandarin or one of the neighborhoods by the St. Johns, and I see more potential in it than anywhere else in the state because it's basically like a clean slate right now, and I hope to see it learn from the mistakes they made in Orlando, Miami, Ft. Lauderdale etc.

Mandarin was actually considered the "sprawl" when it began to be developed in the 60's , but yes, I agree, it's a nice area and has some historic homes as well - there's even Harriet Beecher Stowe historical sites there. I did not include it in the links above since Mandarin is suburban, not urban, but here's a link in case anyone is interested:

Mandarin Museum and Historical Society

I agree, Jax has potential to be tapped.....we'll have to see if it continues its' current direction and becomes a city to be reckoned with, or if it backslides and goes back to sleep.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:37 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,571,881 times
I am going with Coral Gables although it is a suburb of Miami,it is a considerably large city with all of the beauty ,charm and posh neighborhoods. There is no city like it in Florida it is a city within a larger city that has everything at its finger tips. It has the most beautiful tree-lined canopied streets with very little crime and an easy commute.

Old 02-16-2008, 01:13 PM

53 posts, read 58,123 times
I honestly do not se how Tampa is winning thus far. To me, imo, it is not as pretty aesthetically, the crime is higher, and it's just too hot in the summer than some of the other cities. I voted Tally, and I think Jax would be 2nd... although I dont really consider Tally a "big" city... just my thoughts...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida