Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2016, 01:35 PM

1 posts, read 2,398 times

Advertisements

Background: I am (probably) moving to Palatka. My whole life, I've only lived in very "northern" cities, and from what I read on this forum, Palatka is a very "southern" area. I always keep my opinions on politics and religion to myself, and I know how to be polite and avoid starting fights with people.

Should I be concerned about the safety of my person and/or property because I'm a "Yankee"? Someone is trying to talk me out of moving there; he says that "as a long-haired male that never attends church and has a northern accent, I will be beaten to a pulp as soon as I step foot outside in Palatka." Is there any truth to this?

Also, I've read that there is some unofficial racial segregation going on in Palatka with clearly defined neighborhoods. If a black person lives in a "white area", or if a white person lives in a "black area", would their person and/or property be in significant danger? Or is the risk of that pretty much the same as anywhere else?

Any feedback is appreciated, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2016, 06:12 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,390,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SodaCan21 View Post
Background: I am (probably) moving to Palatka. My whole life, I've only lived in very "northern" cities, and from what I read on this forum, Palatka is a very "southern" area. I always keep my opinions on politics and religion to myself, and I know how to be polite and avoid starting fights with people.

Should I be concerned about the safety of my person and/or property because I'm a "Yankee"? Someone is trying to talk me out of moving there; he says that "as a long-haired male that never attends church and has a northern accent, I will be beaten to a pulp as soon as I step foot outside in Palatka." Is there any truth to this?

Also, I've read that there is some unofficial racial segregation going on in Palatka with clearly defined neighborhoods. If a black person lives in a "white area", or if a white person lives in a "black area", would their person and/or property be in significant danger? Or is the risk of that pretty much the same as anywhere else?

Any feedback is appreciated, thanks.
Unlikely

See more info here://www.city-data.com/city/Palatka-Florida.html

Old 06-18-2016, 10:27 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,968,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SodaCan21 View Post
Someone is trying to talk me out of moving there; he says that "as a long-haired male that never attends church and has a northern accent, I will be beaten to a pulp as soon as I step foot outside in Palatka." Is there any truth to this?
Totally true. As a hispanic female I was beaten up there when I tried to buy a gallon of milk

OP please. I think anyone considering moving to Palatka needs to worry more about dying of boredom than about racism.

Old 06-18-2016, 06:40 PM

41 posts, read 69,912 times
The big question is WHY would you want to move to Palatka? Jk Its a cute little town right on the river and only 30 mins to the beach. Ive always heard that is pretty segregated but so are most old southern towns, I would be weary of crack and meth heads than anything. Seems like every week a drug bust goes down and theres always some sketchy looking people around when ever I visit.

Old 06-18-2016, 06:42 PM

41 posts, read 69,912 times
PS... Would love to own an old Victorian home I Downtown Palatka and use it as a river house. Real estate there is stupid cheap.

Old 06-21-2016, 03:36 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,571,524 times
Its not 1955 so its not Mississippi burning. Like another poster said you will be bored to death before getting beaten up for being a yankee. There are plenty of long haired country boys around so the hair won't be an issue.

If you saw the movie "Easy A" one of the kids got sent to live with his grandparents in Palatka FL as a punishment.

Now if you move in and act like you are smarter than everyone and talk about how everyone is so stupid... you wont be liked. Don't judge on accent alone, because Palatka natives both white and black are very Southern and Country.

If you are working there you could commute from Gainesville, Jacksonville or St Augustine. All of which offer more to do, varied neighborhoods etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida