Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2016, 10:48 PM

Location: Westchester County, NY -> Pinellas County, FL -> Dutchess County, NY -> Denver?
348 posts, read 535,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by olderandwiser456 View Post
What part of Florida are you in? I'm interested since your description has lots of positives: good doctors and hospitals, no need for bug repellant, no need for regular pest control. Are you near the ocean or inland. Sounds like you live in a good place.
Mosquito here are as bad as the ones in NY. You don't really need pest control - we use sentricon but since people are cheap most won't use it. We tried buying a house 100 miles North of NYC and some of the beams were devoured by termites and floors were sagging.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2016, 07:35 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,177,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
I was becoming less and less thrilled with Florida. Then I started visiting the natural areas, state parks, refuges, the Ocala Forest etc etc. Did a few days of the Ocean to Lake and joined the FTA.

Now I can't keep myself out of Corbett, Dupuis (hunting season soon-boo), Hungryland and Lox Slough, Lake County, Black Bear Scenic Byway, Lake Apopka Loop, Sugarloaf Mountain--I'll take a cypress swamp over a beach personally but I do enjoy it occasionally.

What I was looking for was right here and I didn't even see.
Ah come on..FL is a swamp, there's really nothing to see..(if someone is blind).

https://www.floridastateparks.org/park/Florida-Caverns

I like how this guy showcases FL..

%post_title% | how to Do florida

Old 08-09-2016, 08:50 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,421,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
Ah come on..FL is a swamp, there's really nothing to see..(if someone is blind).

Thanks for the links!

I get so defensive when I hear the "useless swamp" stuff I'm beginning to think I'm a Swamp Ape.

Old 08-10-2016, 10:51 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,573,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post

Great links. I get so annoyed with people who say there is nothing outdoorsy in Florida. I met a woman who was moving to Colorado and said she cant wait to get there to go hiking. I asked have you checked out any of the local parks, conservation areas, state or national forests some within 20 minutes.

NO there are no mountains, well DUH! Colorado doesn't have palm trees or hundreds of first magnitude springs. I can appreciate not wanting to hike on a sweltering summer day, but don't tell me there is no where to hike in Florida

Old 08-10-2016, 01:39 PM

10 posts, read 32,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89MustangGTFox View Post
I am the only person who doesn't like Florida? I have lived in Florida for the past ten years after my parents moved us here because my dad got a job transfer. It was fine at first but I am not sure if I have gone crazy or maybe I am not a Florida guy but I honestly don't like living in Florida anymore. The population in Florida is a bit of a melting pot. Living here has allowed me to meet someone from every state- Even Alaska and Hawaii! Everyone I have ever met has one thing in common; They love Florida and think it's the best place they have ever lived and they hate their home state.

When I mention I don't like Florida, I receive the strangest looks, gasps and get told I am insane. People always ask "How can you not like Florida? It's the best state in the country!" "We have beaches and Disney World!" But I honestly don't like it. I feel like there has to be something else out there in the country or the world. Florida simply can't be the only good place. I also get told I am immature when I mention I don't like Florida. I've been told this by neighbors,my parents friends, teachers, college prof., co-workers, etc.
(I am 21 so perhaps it's because I am Young and I haven't left the state since I moved here 10 years ago).

What I hate about Florida is that it's nothing but one giant Suburb. Florida has nothing but Subdivision, after subdivision and miles and miles of close together suburban houses. A lot of these subdivisions are giant and when you are a kid without a car you are trapped in them. Even with a car they are still a pain to drive through. There aren't any lush forests to explore or any hills or creeks or mountains. It's nothing but rows of houses, golf courses and man made lakes. Also the grass is thick as hell and the only natural terrain is swap with fungus in the water. No crystal clear lakes.

When I lived in upstate New York we had our own private property on a few acres. It was great. I was able to practice hockey outside in the winter, I could hit baseballs off the Tee in the summer, fish without even leaving my property. The lakes and rivers were crystal clear (you could drink from them without worrying about getting sick or Amoebas) There were plenty of lush forests to explore, mountains. It was nice. Here there are neighbors everywhere. It sucks. I hate the lack of rural areas in Florida too.

I also hate how crowded Florida is. It takes forever to drive anywhere due to how crowded the roads are. That combined with bad traffic, bad drivers and bad roads. Florida is just so crowded. Everyday there is a car accident, everyday I am stuck in Traffic due to an accident or simply by too many cars on the road at once.

I also I am not really a bar or club going guy and I don't drink often but this seems to be a big reason people move to Florida. A lot of people say they love Florida's lax alcohol laws (especially people from the Carolinas, PA, New Jersey and the family from Utah I know) and it was a big reason for them moving here. It seems like most people I meet regardless of age the only things they want to do is drink every weekend or go to night clubs. Also what's with people in Florida sitting in their driveways drinking? (Even my parents find this strange).

I am the only who feels this way about Florida? I've meet someone from every state and it seems all them hate their home state and insist Florida is the best. But I just don't buy it.

I'm still in college so it will be a couple of years before I can leave but I hope to be a military officer and see a little bit of the world. (Though I get told I am selfish and immature for wanting too). I find myself dreaming about visiting places such as Wyoming, Montana or even Alaska. Or returning to Upstate New York or New Hampshire. (I love visiting NH as a kid).
Every state has it's problems and bad sides. Florida has so many people from so many places and all arriving in a relatively short period of time, that it would be hard for any state to keep up with that pace of change.

Most of Florida is relatively new compared to many other states. It wasn't until Flagler's railroad, cars and the interstate system, and air conditioning that Florida really became popular. Even with all of the new technology, the climate and the geography can be quite challenging.

If you're able to adapt, the natural environment is beautiful. Some of the most beautiful scenery in America. The wildlife can be scary, but that's true anywhere. The gators make a great mascot, though, even if they find your dog appetizing.

There was a native American culture that goes back over 10,000 years in Florida, but most of these people were killed by war or disease, or driven out by the European and American "settlers." So, most of Florida culture, is new and imported from the rest of the country, as well as other countries. Southeast Florida has a huge Latin American population that impacts the culture. Other groups leave their mark in different parts of Florida. Greeks, Italians, Cubans, Puerto Ricans, and many, many other groups contribute to Florida's culture.

There is a huge legacy left over from the Confederacy that impacts Florida culture and politics to this day. There are positives and negatives to this legacy. Unfortunately, some of the negatives persist. But that's true in many parts of the South. With the constant influx of people from everywhere else, I'm not sure how much longer this legacy will be felt. Old habits die hard.

You're right about being 21 giving you a different perspective - you wouldn't be young if you didn't rebel against something. Travel as much as you can as soon as you can. Your keen observations reveal someone that will probably make a great military officer. Get that college degree and start on your graduate degree soon. Every Florida college graduate makes the state stronger.

Florida is having growing pains and the growth isn't being managed well. You don't have to like what you see and experience in the Sunshine State - many people don't like some of what's happening either. Focus on the positives and try to do something about the negatives. Vote and inform yourself and others on the issues that matter to you.

Just like any state in the US, there is a lot to dislike. Florida is probably among the fastest growing states in the country, so it's expected to some extent. Luckily, the interior of the state and many other coastal areas are less crowded and less developed. You'll need a car, but these areas are simply gorgeous and you'll be able to enjoy "real Florida" without as many people. Just don't tell everybody - then they'll ruin it for you. The state and national parks are a real treasure for Floridians.

It's refreshing to hear from a young Floridian with brains and ambition talk about how things are not optimal and thinking about alternatives. Remember, it's better to light a candle than to complain about how dark it is. I suspect you already know this. Also, don't forget that we live in one of the best countries in all of history. In the grand scheme of things, life is actually pretty good in Florida.

As Dory says, "just keep swimming."

Old 08-10-2016, 03:29 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,050,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I agree that the OP needs to get out and explore more. However, he will still probably come away not liking FL. Me, as a Florida native, I like the opposite of what FL offers.
I've been to 42 states so far. In a couple weeks I'll add a couple more Canadian provinces as well (which will make 7 out of 13), but no new US states.

Florida is by far the worst state in the US that I've been to, but I have yet to check out Hawaii or Mississippi so perhaps there's some hope for the Sunshine State.

I don't know what it is about the perpetual warm/hot + super humid weather that attracts every sort of scammer, shyster, deadbeat, loser, druggie, pervert, and weirdo, but it seems they all make their way to FL at some point or another.

I've also never seen so much garbage/litter just about everywhere in the state except in the worst urban ghettos. Why do Floridians litter so much?

And no mountains....blech!

Old 08-10-2016, 03:42 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,185,127 times
I had to go to the cell phone store yesterday. The guy asked me my phone number, and I gave him my 305 number. A gentleman that was waiting for info to come through at the guys desk asks me, "are you from Miami?" in which I said "Yes, but I live here now" He asked "Why on earth would you want to live here?" I asked him "Have you ever lived in Miami?" his reply was, "No, but I've visited SoBe for a weekend once." I told him, "Live there, then you will know why I moved here after being born and raised there for almost 50yrs." The clerk piped in and said "I've been to Florida a couple time and don't like it at all, people drive terrible, and they are terribly rude there too." My reply, "just a couple of reasons why I moved here."

People think Florida sounds like heaven on earth, and for some, it may well be. But say that AFTER you have lived there for some time. People who go to visit for a weekend have no clue what life in Florida can really be like. And I'm really referring more to SoFla, where I lived.

To each his own.

Old 08-10-2016, 03:50 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,138,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
I had to go to the cell phone store yesterday. The guy asked me my phone number, and I gave him my 305 number. A gentleman that was waiting for info to come through at the guys desk asks me, "are you from Miami?" in which I said "Yes, but I live here now" He asked "Why on earth would you want to live here?" I asked him "Have you ever lived in Miami?" his reply was, "No, but I've visited SoBe for a weekend once." I told him, "Live there, then you will know why I moved here after being born and raised there for almost 50yrs." The clerk piped in and said "I've been to Florida a couple time and don't like it at all, people drive terrible, and they are terribly rude there too." My reply, "just a couple of reasons why I moved here."

People think Florida sounds like heaven on earth, and for some, it may well be. But say that AFTER you have lived there for some time. People who go to visit for a weekend have no clue what life in Florida can really be like. And I'm really referring more to SoFla, where I lived.

To each his own.
SoFla is certainly not indicative of the whole state.

Old 08-10-2016, 07:59 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,900,561 times
Yes you're the only one.

In fact, it's a very rare and unusual topic to pop up on City Data.

Old 08-10-2016, 08:20 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post
I've been to 42 states so far. In a couple weeks I'll add a couple more Canadian provinces as well (which will make 7 out of 13), but no new US states.

Florida is by far the worst state in the US that I've been to, but I have yet to check out Hawaii or Mississippi so perhaps there's some hope for the Sunshine State.

I don't know what it is about the perpetual warm/hot + super humid weather that attracts every sort of scammer, shyster, deadbeat, loser, druggie, pervert, and weirdo, but it seems they all make their way to FL at some point or another.

I've also never seen so much garbage/litter just about everywhere in the state except in the worst urban ghettos. Why do Floridians litter so much?

And no mountains....blech!
Bye, don't frustrate yourself and come back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida