Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2016, 10:43 AM

14,945 posts, read 12,139,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runninglikethieves View Post
I have been here 3 years in November, I love it and would live nowhere else, other than on Oahu in Hawaii!

I would probably buy a summer home in Jersey or a place in California if I had a ton of money, but would only live on Florida or Hawaii.

Now my mom, on the other hand. She hates Florida! She lived in St Petersburg when she was a kid, she also lived in Miami for literally a month. One of the best family stories from before I was born, was of my grandparents moving from New Jersey to Miami with my mom and uncle, and them moving back to New Jersey after 29 or 30 days. And the place being infested with roaches. 👺👎🏻

My grandparents retired to Naples, which is a 5+ hour ride from me in Jacksonville. My mom visits once or twice a year, but will never move to this state and I believe her. It's not for everyone.

I've heard it's been a rough couple days with the humidity and heat in the Northeast, for the better part of the summer actually. I always was annoyed with humidity and high temperatures up in Jersey. I always remember thinking "if I gotta live with this humidity, I'd at least rather be in Florida or Hawaii or some place tropical like that!". It's been hotter and more humid in New York and Boston the last few days than it has been in Florida!
I was talking to my brother who lives in north central NY yesterday and he was talking about the stifling heat and humidity they have had there in the past few days. He mentioned that it was hitting the 90's or so, and I asked him if it was cooling down at night as I remember it doing most often in summers in the northeast. He said that it had not done so for the last couple of nights there. It's especially uncomfortable when folks have no AC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2016, 12:03 AM

2,822 posts, read 1,928,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I was talking to my brother who lives in north central NY yesterday and he was talking about the stifling heat and humidity they have had there in the past few days. He mentioned that it was hitting the 90's or so, and I asked him if it was cooling down at night as I remember it doing most often in summers in the northeast. He said that it had not done so for the last couple of nights there. It's especially uncomfortable when folks have no AC.
Everybody I've talked to from up home has said that this summer has been a nightmare. My one friend who lives in Seminole (Pinellas County) was visiting in Jersey last week and said it was hotter and more humid and more gross up there than it's been for most of the summer here in Florida.

When I'm on weather.com and other weather sites, I have my locations up there. One for Jacksonville (where I live) and a few others. Like places in Jersey where I'm from/lived and in California. And the temperature has been at least as high when I've went on there in Jersey these last few weeks than here. Or at least for the MOST part. Not every day, but it sure seems like at least half or more than half.

For all the people in Jersey that have spent limited time in Florida or have never been to Florida in the first place, their reasons for not wanting to ever live here a lot of the time ''It's really humid down there''.

Old 08-16-2016, 04:27 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,619,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
You're into scuba and moved back to CO? That's odd.. FL is the best place in the US for that with most active divers. Only other similar state for that is HI and it's too remote for many(and expensive). Few areas for shore diving in Tampa Bay, however, there's tons of sites close to the shore line(a few miles out). Also you have South FL/the Keys. For scuba divers, FL is ideal, so not sure why you hated it.

Same when I was up in WA last year in a small town. Kept smelling pot in some nice picturesque parks.
I grew up in Colorado and have lived here most of my life. Plus I own a home.
I lived in a bad area and it was a lot of the reason why I left..was in a relationship and my other half refused to move..even after numerous break ins, and a murder across the street.

Old 08-16-2016, 08:41 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,171,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runninglikethieves View Post
Everybody I've talked to from up home has said that this summer has been a nightmare. My one friend who lives in Seminole (Pinellas County) was visiting in Jersey last week and said it was hotter and more humid and more gross up there than it's been for most of the summer here in Florida.

When I'm on weather.com and other weather sites, I have my locations up there. One for Jacksonville (where I live) and a few others. Like places in Jersey where I'm from/lived and in California. And the temperature has been at least as high when I've went on there in Jersey these last few weeks than here. Or at least for the MOST part. Not every day, but it sure seems like at least half or more than half.

For all the people in Jersey that have spent limited time in Florida or have never been to Florida in the first place, their reasons for not wanting to ever live here a lot of the time ''It's really humid down there''.
Was in Illinois over the weekend. I was surprised after hearing how hot it was up there(brother even got heat exhaustion on Thursda), my son and I were able to wear capris, jeans, and t's which we wear in winter here. We kept remarking that it felt like our winter in Florida and it really did. Heat index was supposed to be 108 there but did not feel like our 93 degrees here. Even standing at the grave in the sun in dress clothes and him in a suit, long sleeve shirt, etc, we were not uncomfortable. Totally different heat. Minute we got off the plane at 11 last night we noticed the intense heat here in Florida and it felt hotter than middle of afternoon up there.

Old 08-16-2016, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
Was in Illinois over the weekend. I was surprised after hearing how hot it was up there(brother even got heat exhaustion on Thursda), my son and I were able to wear capris, jeans, and t's which we wear in winter here. We kept remarking that it felt like our winter in Florida and it really did. Heat index was supposed to be 108 there but did not feel like our 93 degrees here. Even standing at the grave in the sun in dress clothes and him in a suit, long sleeve shirt, etc, we were not uncomfortable. Totally different heat. Minute we got off the plane at 11 last night we noticed the intense heat here in Florida and it felt hotter than middle of afternoon up there.
I guess the thing is with the heat and humidity "up north" is that it's considered more of an out of the ordinary situation than it is here in Florida. Not that it can't get just as hot and humid in the northeast, midwest as it does in Florida but it's more the norm in Florida. Because next summer, it might be a lot cooler and less humid up there, but we can be pretty sure that come next summer, Florida will still be hot and humid!

Your comments about Illinois remind me of my husband's comments about weather in Chicago. He did his Navy basic training ( many years ago) there, and says that he never experienced such hot weather in the summer, or cold weather in the winter as when he was there.

Old 08-16-2016, 03:30 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,632,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I guess the thing is with the heat and humidity "up north" is that it's considered more of an out of the ordinary situation than it is here in Florida. Not that it can't get just as hot and humid in the northeast, midwest as it does in Florida but it's more the norm in Florida. Because next summer, it might be a lot cooler and less humid up there, but we can be pretty sure that come next summer, Florida will still be hot and humid!

Your comments about Illinois remind me of my husband's comments about weather in Chicago. He did his Navy basic training ( many years ago) there, and says that he never experienced such hot weather in the summer, or cold weather in the winter as when he was there.
I was in Boston last week, though the weather was outstanding. I think many locals thought it was a bit hot.

Old 08-18-2016, 08:27 PM

9,530 posts, read 16,512,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
I was in Boston last week, though the weather was outstanding. I think many locals thought it was a bit hot.
I was up there the last month. My family had the AC on almost every day. It was very hot for them. I found it comfortable not all days, but most days were pleasant.

Old 08-19-2016, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
Yep, it's all relative to what you are accustomed to, I guess. I remember my grandfather, many years ago in north central NY, sweating, wiping his face and complaining about how hot it one summer when we were visiting there-the temperature was 80 degrees and we thought it was balmy.

Old 08-19-2016, 06:47 AM

174 posts, read 207,260 times
Florida.is.just too hot

Old 08-19-2016, 08:20 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamika929 View Post
Florida.is.just too hot
Too hot for what? Not too hot for me, been here my whole life and not leaving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida