Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2006, 06:57 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,156,497 times

Advertisements

For the past four months I learned a lot from all the members and on their views. This includes jobs, wages, housing cost, insurance pains, crime, education, and maybe another 1000 topics.

Because we have many scholars or well versed individuals that have a deep view(s) on the past, present and future of this state; I would like to ask, if they had the opportunity to mentor a young individual (16 years or older) what career would you suggest to this young Floridian.

I only ask for one rule. Keep negative inputs for yourself, we are looking for tips or advise to be useful in our community. Let’s suggest how a young individual can make a positive decision that will pay successful dividends in the future. Great opportunity to post a reply that can impact the future of a young Floridian.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2006, 07:00 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,267,233 times
Right off the top of my head...hospitatlity. I mean, such as a degree in hospitality management. You would be paid well, for that.

Old 11-29-2006, 07:08 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,904,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Right off the top of my head...hospitatlity. I mean, such as a degree in hospitality management. You would be paid well, for that.
I would have to say the medical areas will have the greatest need. Even if you move you could use it.

Old 11-29-2006, 07:12 PM

627 posts, read 2,849,069 times
Possibly something based in Technology or Industrial Engineering. Both are well paying and in need (all over the globe).

Old 11-29-2006, 07:14 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,156,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
For the past four months I learned a lot from all the members and on their views. This includes jobs, wages, housing cost, insurance pains, crime, education, and maybe another 1000 topics.

Because we have many scholars or well versed individuals that have a deep view(s) on the past, present and future of this state; I would like to ask, if they had the opportunity to mentor a young individual (16 years or older) what career would you suggest to this young Floridian.

I only ask for one rule. Keep negative inputs for yourself, we are looking for tips or advise to be useful in our community. Let’s suggest how a young individual can make a positive decision that will pay successful dividends in the future. Great opportunity to post a reply that can impact the future of a young Floridian.

HEALTHCARE. Physician, NP, PA, CRNA, BSN, Management with MBA

Old 11-29-2006, 07:17 PM

49 posts, read 282,610 times
I, too, would strongly recommend the medical fields. I was a pediatric Occupational Therapist prior to a back injury. The allied health fields (occupational, physical and speech therapy) have always been and will always be in need of practitioners.

Old 11-29-2006, 07:21 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,156,497 times
Great inputs so far. The hospitality market is our second largest industry. With our large senior citizen community and top rated hospitals the medical field is a HOT one. The technology and industrial Eng are always evolving...

Keep posting, you are the experts

Old 11-29-2006, 07:34 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,156,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
Great inputs so far. The hospitality market is our second largest industry. With our large senior citizen community and top rated hospitals the medical field is a HOT one. The technology and industrial Eng are always evolving...

Keep posting, you are the experts
I was thinking about your original question. Are you asking because of a specific 16 y.o or in general? One really has to take the individual's personality into account, their level of maturity, their interests, etc. Ideally, the student will pursue something they LOVE to do. Do they like to help people? Are they a type A personality? Are they good with math (heavy duty type)? Like science?
In terms of financial success... would not recommend anything in the social sciences. Teaching (unless at the graduate/research level), psychology, English.... none of those cutsey things - if they are more interested in the money aspect.
I would also suggest they are bilingual, trilingual. More than just English.

Old 11-29-2006, 07:35 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,267,233 times
I'm not so sure about tech and engineering. Not as great as other parts of the country. I know that Harris was a great place to work in Melbourne. Don't know how that is going, now. I use to work for SONY in Fort Myers, and they sent most of their work overseas.

Can't believe I didn't think of healthcare.

Still, the pay is WAY lower than the rest of the country. Shouldn't be. More demand in Florida. They need to start paying more.

I still say hospitality DEGREE. Get a job with someplace big or exclusive and they WILL pay.

Old 11-29-2006, 07:37 PM

49 posts, read 282,610 times
Default In regards to the allied health professions

Sunrico,
You are absolutely right about the large senior population in Florida. I would also like to point out that the pediatric population is probably just as large and continuously growing. There is a higher incidence of autism and other developmental delays today. There are also so many children with delays caused by poor environments, drug/alcohol addictions at birth (due to the mother's use), and birth defects. If you are talking to young people about future careers you may want to explain that these therapists can treat in various settings: school systems, nursing homes, psychiatric units, hospitals, rehab centers, private clinics, etc. These fields are wide open with possiblities. In fact, ergonomics in professional industries is a growing area in which both physical and occupational therapists work.
Also just a note: these therapy positions often pay more here in the south then they do in the north. I know wages are always a concern on this board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida