Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 01:49 PM

13 posts, read 11,864 times

Advertisements

Hey all! First off I want to thank everyone for the tremendous amount of information on this forum, it has been incredibly helpful.

My girlfriend and I are both in our young 20s, and are looking to make the move from the Mid West to FL. I am originally from Louisiana but am now in small town IL, and need to get back south. The extent of my knowledge about FL is limited to the Panhandle, and so Im coming here for help. Originally we thought that the St. Pete area may be our best bet, it was a large enough city to have the job prospects, rental properties, and a beach that was just around the corner. After doing more research on the St. Pete section of this forum we have found people that just arent quite recommending it for young people, for various reasons. My question to people from around the state, is what other locations could we be looking into besides the St. Pete area? We really arent into the whole night life scene that other people our age are, and are just looking to get started in our place somewhere that we can enjoy (not the land locked Mid West). Our priorities are going to be potential job market, proximity to the beach, and safety. We are only looking to rent (most likely a 1Bed/1Bath) so house values arent a tremendous concern right now. The company I work for has job postings throughout the state, and settling in a couple different locations is proving much tougher than originally planned.

Are there any places were a young couple could live near the beach and still have a decent job market?

Thanks for any help/insight that yall can provide!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2016, 03:06 PM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
If factoring job market, somewhat healthy economy, a younger population (though not party-centric), easy access to beaches and a favorable cost of living I would highly recommend Jacksonville.

Old 10-04-2016, 07:33 PM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,142,805 times
Try Tallahassee

Old 10-04-2016, 09:07 PM

2,432 posts, read 2,692,335 times
I will recommend you check out North Port. It's a younger population with a lot of families. My husband and I are late 20s and just recently moved here from Ohio. So far it's been a great town and were very happy. We're 25 minutes to the beaches and close to Sarasota which we also love. The town is growing quickly which attracted us here but the home pricing is quite affordable vs other locations. We also are not into nightlife, never have been and no you won't really find that here but there's plunty of restaurants and shopping nearby. We also both quickly(within a month) obtained jobs. If you have any questions about it, just ask! Good luck with your move!

Old 10-05-2016, 05:22 PM

Thanks for the suggestions! We looked at Tallahassee early on but ended up crossing it off the list because it's just not close enough to "true" beaches. Jacksonville will definitely get a closer look, as will North Port. Beach access and job prospects are certainly the big things for us.

Old 10-05-2016, 08:22 PM

3 posts, read 2,523 times
Jacksonville?
Jacksonville is turning into a crime ridden Chicago/Detroit style violent black slum...
A while back I would listen to a Jacksonville AM radio station online in the morning and EVERYDAY the hoodrat shootings and murders were every bit as bad as Chicago....They were shooting White people just crossing the street....
IF YOU ARE WHITE DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT JACKSONVILLE....

Old 10-05-2016, 10:21 PM

It certainly seems that crime is everywhere these days. Im sure there are parts of Jacksonville that arent as bad as certain parts of the places we have lived prior. It certainly seems that being close to the beach and having open job prospects is a tough combination to find. Guess the hunt will continue in Jacksonville and St. Pete for now.

Old 10-07-2016, 02:30 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,166,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintQuinn View Post
Jacksonville?
Jacksonville is turning into a crime ridden Chicago/Detroit style violent black slum...
A while back I would listen to a Jacksonville AM radio station online in the morning and EVERYDAY the hoodrat shootings and murders were every bit as bad as Chicago....They were shooting White people just crossing the street....
IF YOU ARE WHITE DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT JACKSONVILLE....
Lol I havent noticed that at all. OP, let me know if you have any questions about Jax. I agree that it could be suitable for you...it's a low COL and I'd say acceptable enough QOL for a young couple.

Old 10-09-2016, 08:10 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Lol I havent noticed that at all. OP, let me know if you have any questions about Jax. I agree that it could be suitable for you...it's a low COL and I'd say acceptable enough QOL for a young couple.
Not to mention it has "inexplicably" become the fastest growing city in Florida.

Old 10-09-2016, 05:56 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,949,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Not to mention it has "inexplicably" become the fastest growing city in Florida.
Correction. Orlando is a much faster growing and already bigger, more established metro than Jacksonville.

And it's great for young couples too .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida