Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 12:34 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,166,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tar21 View Post
I guarantee the forecast for north florida will be the same story as the south it won't even hit directly.
Wish I had seen this yesterday, could've placed a bet.

Jax Beach:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyXD1KGj99M

^^This was two hours before the height of the surge. Already flowing four blocks inland.

Downtown St Augustine:

St. Augustine streets filled with water from Hurricane Matthew | WJAX-TV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2016, 12:36 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tar21 View Post
Are you guys mad at the governor for ordering a mandatory evacuation and saying "you will die if you don't evacuate" for a storm that was weaker than many we have in NY? And he said this after the storm showed it would not hit south florida and people were playing on the beaches and it was not even raining. He should be held accountable for that. I watched live footage all day, there were kids playing soccer and doing handstands on the beach and people surfing while the weatherman forecasted death and destruction. The weather forecasters as well should be held accountable for massively mis-predicating this storm. This is not the first hurricane they mis-predicated eithor, it's just incompetence at this point. And after they dropped the ball they did not have the guts to admit they were wrong, and kept forecasting death and destruction even as they stood on the beach with a low water level, moderate winds, and no rain and people playing behind them, even saying it was unsafe and they should leave. They said the one that hit tampa would be huge and kill people and it was nothing. Apparently the weather satellites they use are old and need to be replaced is what someone told me, they should just replace them already instead of keep screwing up.
Imagine if the order wasn't given, the storm stregnthened and moved west killing hundreds.

My guess is that you wanted to roast him either way.

Old 10-07-2016, 12:38 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post
OP, while you're sitting out the storm, you might want to open a dictionary and learn how to spell "governor" and "forecasters". It would be much more productive than spending time posting the same drivel all over the boards.
Seriously!

Old 10-07-2016, 12:44 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Op you are mad because you didnt get hit by a cat4 hurricane?
Ask the people of Haiti how happy they are.=
Hurricane Matthew: Haiti dead reach 800 as south awaits aid - BBC News

Old 10-07-2016, 01:31 PM

14,950 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
use to, they would tell you to find someplace safe, then the local sherriff did not want to dsipatch to the stupid people on sailboat riding out the storm, so there started telling everybody to leave, so know you trap in 5mph traffic with no gas for 100 miles, as long as you not in their county, they dont care. After hurricane katrina, i built an concrete house, one foot thick wall. I live at elevation 83. 40 miles from the gulf. and i still hear them hollowing, you have to leave. I been in about 20 hurricanes sine 72. have never left, had never had any property damage, all the damage going be three miles from the water
If you really live in a concrete house 40 miles from the Gulf at an elevation of 83 feet, those directions to evacuate are not directed at you.

Old 10-07-2016, 01:55 PM

4,480 posts, read 3,849,852 times
I am a born and raised Floridian and been through countless storms, including Cat 5 Andrew, and I have to say this is the WORST FORECASTING and MEDIA HYPE-FEST of a storm I've ever seen. They couldn't get the cone/storm track right for days and days, and only got it right a few hours before the thing was 50 miles east of the Keys.

The governor said people would die and that the entire state had to prepare for a direct hit from this "killer" storm that was coming as a Cat 4 or 5 storm into Florida.

In fact, the storm never even made landfall in Florida and the damage so far has been minimal. And when I say minimal, I am saying it is in no way damage consistent with a Cat 4 or even Cat 3 storm. And the media was complicit in inciting panic over this storm.

I know "killer" storms. The only places this storm has done "killer" type damage is in the Caribbean.

At least the retailers got some stimulus.

Old 10-07-2016, 02:12 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,813,014 times
^And you should be thankful for that! With all your hurricane experience, I'm surprised you'd expect perfect forecasting. I'm not a meteorologist, but I'm damn sure these people are doing the best they can in a very inexact science.

Old 10-07-2016, 03:33 PM

35,071 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins_Fan View Post
^And you should be thankful for that! With all your hurricane experience, I'm surprised you'd expect perfect forecasting. I'm not a meteorologist, but I'm damn sure these people are doing the best they can in a very inexact science.
Storm forecasting is not an exact science. Neither for snowstorms/Nor'easters or tropical systems. Forecasts first must keep public safety in mind, then probability of an event. My only mild criticism here, an emphasize the word mild, is that perhaps the adjectives such as "most dangerous" should have been used more sparingly. And the only reason for that is so that the next time around, when the wolf is at the door, people don't ignore the hazard.

A great example of a botched forecast was for a Nor'easter that was forecast to drop 36" of snow in New York City on or about March 3, 2001. We got six inches of slushy snow mixed heavily with rain. Eveything was shut down in advance. Then that Friday we got a surprise quick hit of 4" in a little more than an hour. Because of the fast-falling nature it was disruptive, but not historic. A blown forecast in the other direction was the "Mayor Lindsay" storm of February 8, 1969. The storm was forecast to change to rain and resources were not deployed in advance.

My summation is that storms need to be taken seriously but over-hype creates a big risk of the "crying wolf" effect.

Old 10-07-2016, 03:55 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,342,936 times
40 miles. If that storm, which ended up traveling thousands of miles to get here, had ended up 40 miles or so further west we'd all be hurting right now.

If they made the noise they did over a borderline Cat 1 that was skirting the coast I might say it was a bit much. We were 40 miles or so from having a major disaster and some of you idiots are wondering why they made a big deal out of it?

Old 10-07-2016, 03:55 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,285,135 times
The O.P. shows the idiocy of many, not erring on the side of caution. Daytona Beach and north is getting hammered. I have family there. A favorite restaurant of theirs got destroyed. And the storm surge is going to be bad in GA to SC also. Matthew stayed a little more offshore in south FL than forecasted, and those people are thankful. I guess people don't like to be bothered by mother nature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida