Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 01:10 PM

14,950 posts, read 12,153,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Thats what i thought but some on this topic are saying there was no storm surge..confusing..
LOL, well yanno that during any major hurricane or other severe weather event, lots of folks seem to fancy they're meteorologists, and off their "expert" advice and opinions on the weather at hand. It's tempting to do this, and IMO we've all done it one time or another if we've ever been affected by any of these storms.

Seems there were reportedly a number of coastal areas affected by storm surges- those would be the areas where estuarial ( those that empty into the ocean) rivers and their tributaries are inundated with water/waves blown in from the ocean by the high hurricane winds. As it's been explained that water has no where to go, so continues into the rivers, etc, and the surge gets higher as the rivers narrow, and the land floods as the rivers rise. At least that is the way I understand it.

I'd say it's likely not all the flooding we're hearing about is due to storm surges, but also due to heavy rainfall from the hurricane, especially if the grounds are saturated from previous rainfall.

I'd say that storm surges would have likely caused, or been mainly responsible for the flooding in coastal cities such as St. Augustine, Jacksonville, Savannah, areas in SC and NC located around or near estuarial rivers, tidal marshes and so on. I don't have any information about how high the surges went, or how far inland the flooding might have gone, but I bet that information would be available from the local media and other local resources from those areas. They were there, I bet they will know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2016, 06:00 PM

30,436 posts, read 21,271,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
LOL, well yanno that during any major hurricane or other severe weather event, lots of folks seem to fancy they're meteorologists, and off their "expert" advice and opinions on the weather at hand. It's tempting to do this, and IMO we've all done it one time or another if we've ever been affected by any of these storms.

Seems there were reportedly a number of coastal areas affected by storm surges- those would be the areas where estuarial ( those that empty into the ocean) rivers and their tributaries are inundated with water/waves blown in from the ocean by the high hurricane winds. As it's been explained that water has no where to go, so continues into the rivers, etc, and the surge gets higher as the rivers narrow, and the land floods as the rivers rise. At least that is the way I understand it.

I'd say it's likely not all the flooding we're hearing about is due to storm surges, but also due to heavy rainfall from the hurricane, especially if the grounds are saturated from previous rainfall.

I'd say that storm surges would have likely caused, or been mainly responsible for the flooding in coastal cities such as St. Augustine, Jacksonville, Savannah, areas in SC and NC located around or near estuarial rivers, tidal marshes and so on. I don't have any information about how high the surges went, or how far inland the flooding might have gone, but I bet that information would be available from the local media and other local resources from those areas. They were there, I bet they will know!
I don't have to fancy i am one. I am the best in the state nate. I live it, sleep it and eat it 24/7.

Old 10-12-2016, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
I don't have to fancy i am one. I am the best in the state nate. I live it, sleep it and eat it 24/7.
Whatever you say, dude. Suit yourself.

Old 10-12-2016, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Whatever you say, dude. Suit yourself.
Just do a search learch. Anytime you really wanna know your local weather then ask me. I have seen how things have changed over the last 38 years since i started keeping records and i know what is to come.

Old 10-12-2016, 06:41 AM

176 posts, read 217,254 times
The OP has difficulty understanding the concept of storm surge and the respondents are attempting to alleviate that ignorance. There should be no shame in asking about things you do not understand.

Old 10-12-2016, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Just do a search learch. Anytime you really wanna know your local weather then ask me. I have seen how things have changed over the last 38 years since i started keeping records and i know what is to come.
LOL, plenty of good resources around to check local weather, weather outside the area and even international weather if I care to do so, but thank you for your kind offer just the same.

Old 10-12-2016, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumble View Post
The OP has difficulty understanding the concept of storm surge and the respondents are attempting to alleviate that ignorance. There should be no shame in asking about things you do not understand.
I have to admit I didn't understand how storm surges could move inland till I read the information on the National Hurricane Center site explaining what storm surges were and how they worked. Still can't claim to be any kind of an expert on the topic of course, but at least it makes a little more sense to me now. There is so much great information on the NHC site if you look for it.

Old 10-12-2016, 04:24 PM

Quote:
LOL, plenty of good resources around to check local weather, weather outside the area and even international weather if I care to do so, but thank you for your kind offer just the same.
Well if ya ever need help just let me know. I live for weather heather.

Old 10-14-2016, 08:46 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,573,455 times
Storm surge can happen with any low pressure storm in the Ocean. I saw it happen with winter storms on the Jersey Shore. Coastlines that are concave like the big bend of Florida, Jacksonville/Georgia coast and NY Harbor are more prone to storm surge. In Florida the seas are more shallow so the storm surge can get even higher. In Jacksonville area there is the potential for storm surge to go up the St Johns River, but even a Northeaster without much rain will stack ocean water up against the coast an prevent water from from flowing out of the river system and cause flooding in areas far from the coast, thanks to low elevation

Thankfully Jacksonville area does not get direct hits very often. For all the storm surge that happened with Matthwe it did not hit directly, had it made landfall it would have been much worse
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida