Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 01:39 PM

9 posts, read 20,151 times

Advertisements

My family and I are planning on Moving to Lake Mary Florida(we are open to surrounding areas) within the next year to year and a half. We currently live in a very quite neighborhood up North but the winter is not for us. We have two kids and are looking for a good school district, diverse area, friendly(not snooty) we are very laid back and are hoping Lake Mary will be our next home. Any advice....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2017, 01:40 PM

24,409 posts, read 26,971,175 times
What's your question exactly? Lake Mary is a suburb of Orlando pretty much, so if you narrowed your search to Lake Mary, your finished already.

Old 02-06-2017, 02:29 PM

27,232 posts, read 43,956,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monique2019 View Post
My family and I are planning on Moving to Lake Mary Florida(we are open to surrounding areas) within the next year to year and a half. We currently live in a very quite neighborhood up North but the winter is not for us. We have two kids and are looking for a good school district, diverse area, friendly(not snooty) we are very laid back and are hoping Lake Mary will be our next home. Any advice....
Lake Mary and neighboring Sanford are both good options. Sanford's schools are as good or better than Lake Mary's and your rental/real estate costs are slightly less since the reputation hasn't caught up with the value...yet. Sanford tends more diverse than Lake Mary and doesn't have the "snooty" reputation that some Lake Mary-Heathrow neighborhoods are known for. What is your housing budget? Are you planning to buy or rent? I can recommend some options for you if I have an idea of that.

Old 02-06-2017, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
What's your question exactly? Lake Mary is a suburb of Orlando pretty much, so if you narrowed your search to Lake Mary, your finished already.
We just started looking, Lake Mary looks great on paper just wanted some honest feedback on the area.

Old 02-06-2017, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Lake Mary and neighboring Sanford are both good options. Sanford's schools are as good or better than Lake Mary's and your rental/real estate costs are slightly less since the reputation hasn't caught up with the value...yet. Sanford tends more diverse than Lake Mary and doesn't have the "snooty" reputation that some Lake Mary-Heathrow neighborhoods are known for. What is your housing budget? Are you planning to buy or rent? I can recommend some options for you if I have an idea of that.

Our housing budget is $225,000 to 250,000. We are hoping to rent for at least 6 to a year then buying. We want to get a bit more familiar with areas before we buy...

Old 02-07-2017, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Our housing budget is $225,000 to 250,000. We are hoping to rent for at least 6 to a year then buying. We want to get a bit more familiar with areas before we buy...
Sounds like a good plan. For around $1200 a month (budget that mirrors a 250K purchase price) you can find mostly two bedroom/two bath apartments which should be fine for short-term. If you absolutely need a three bedroom the quality/safety drops of significantly in that price point and would really need to be in the $1400-$1600 a month bracket. Your price bracket doesn't go the longest way in the 225K-250K bracket which is fairly low for a 3/2 in the area (the median for all of Seminole County is right at 250K), but does provide some good options. Real Estate - 12 Homes For Sale | Zillow

Old 02-07-2017, 06:48 AM

17,211 posts, read 15,412,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Sounds like a good plan. For around $1200 a month (budget that mirrors a 250K purchase price) you can find mostly two bedroom/two bath apartments which should be fine for short-term. If you absolutely need a three bedroom the quality/safety drops of significantly in that price point and would really need to be in the $1400-$1600 a month bracket. Your price bracket doesn't go the longest way in the 225K-250K bracket which is fairly low for a 3/2 in the area (the median for all of Seminole County is right at 250K), but does provide some good options. Real Estate - 12 Homes For Sale | Zillow
Exactly.
Now if you expand your search farther West into Lake County (Plymouth/Sorrento/Mount Dora) the price for houses drops significantly. You can find nice 4/2 in great subdivisions. It may seem a bit far initially, but with the looming completion of the Wekiva Parkway, getting to Sanford/Lake Mary, I4, the 417, the 429, etc., will be a breeze. The schools aren't as good, but Round Lake Elementary is still pretty decent. And you always have the option of sending your kids to charter schools, some of which are excellent.

Old 02-07-2017, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Exactly.
Now if you expand your search farther West into Lake County (Plymouth/Sorrento/Mount Dora) the price for houses drops significantly. You can find nice 4/2 in great subdivisions. It may seem a bit far initially, but with the looming completion of the Wekiva Parkway, getting to Sanford/Lake Mary, I4, the 417, the 429, etc., will be a breeze. The schools aren't as good, but Round Lake Elementary is still pretty decent. And you always have the option of sending your kids to charter schools, some of which are excellent.

Thanks, I will look into Lake County.

Old 02-07-2017, 07:27 AM

Kyle19125- Thanks for the homes you sent they were nice. I think it's safe to say we can go up to $300,000 we just want to get into the job market first. The homes where we live are older so we are not too picky we just want goods school and family friendly. We will be visiting this summer do you have any suggestions for family friendly places to visit where we can get a feel for areas and people of Lake Mary and Sanford.

Old 02-07-2017, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Kyle19125- Thanks for the homes you sent they were nice. I think it's safe to say we can go up to $300,000 we just want to get into the job market first. The homes where we live are older so we are not too picky we just want goods school and family friendly. We will be visiting this summer do you have any suggestions for family friendly places to visit where we can get a feel for areas and people of Lake Mary and Sanford.
I would visit as a local and stay at a hotel in Lake Mary like the Homewood Suites or Candlewood Suites where you can cook some meals in and shop at one of the local grocery stores like Publix or Fresh Market (a favorite of mine) which will help give you much more a feel of the area and it's residents. Both downtown Sanford and downtown Lake Mary are good places to walk around to get a feel for the area. Sanford's downtown is historic with shops and restaurants, while Lake Mary's is what I would call manufactured, like an outdoor strip mall centered around a park with fountain and is a good bit smaller than what Sanford offers. The riverfront in Sanford along Lake Monroe (also part of the St John's River which is why it's sometimes called "riverfront") has a nice riverwalk and corresponding park with splashpad that's popular with families also.

Homewood Suites by Hilton Lake Mary, FL Hotel At A Glance

https://www.ihg.com/candlewood/hotel...-_-USA-_-MCOLM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida