Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 06:18 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,444,863 times

Advertisements

The next time some local politician tells you that they want to install red light cameras for 'safety' they'll the 'NO'. First, a Florida study shows that crashes have increased at intersections with red light cameras. But the biggest is that it is all about the money. Redflex, the Phoenix-based camera company is having to pay a $20M fine for bribery in Chicago, and the former CEO has been sentenced to 30 months in prison for bribery. If it was about safety, bribery would not be necessary. But bribery or 'political contributions' follows these companies as they pitch their contracts.

So call your local legislators and get the laws changed to outlaw this extortion by camera.

Redflex Photo Radar Firm Based in Arizona to Pay $20 Million to Chicago for Bribery Scheme | Phoenix New Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2017, 07:18 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,789,284 times
They had those in my area.

The politicians touted safety, safety, safety when in reality it was a cash cow.

They were installed and the tickets began, especially for right turn on red violations. Police cars, ambulances (not on calls)-no one was exempt.

The political beatings started.

The fine for right turn violations was cut in half.

The political beatings continued.

Right turn on red violations were no longer being ticketed.

Elections held.

Cameras removed.

Old 02-07-2017, 08:03 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
They had those in my area.

The politicians touted safety, safety, safety when in reality it was a cash cow.

They were installed and the tickets began, especially for right turn on red violations. Police cars, ambulances (not on calls)-no one was exempt.

The political beatings started.

The fine for right turn violations was cut in half.

Right turn on red violations were no longer being ticketed.

Elections held.

Cameras removed.
Awesome. I hate those cameras, they are legalized theft.

Old 02-07-2017, 05:50 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,342,936 times
In a perfect world is prefer idiots not run red lights.

Old 02-07-2017, 07:00 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
I love those cameras and they do work. I got caught going through a yellow, $550 later plus traffic school, I learned to never run a light again.

Florida needs more of them because this state is one of the worst when it comes to people running red lights. Bump up the fine to $1,000 for all I care.

Old 02-07-2017, 07:18 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I love those cameras and they do work. I got caught going through a yellow, $550 later plus traffic school, I learned to never run a light again.

Florida needs more of them because this state is one of the worst when it comes to people running red lights. Bump up the fine to $1,000 for all I care.
Yeah,, and they clearly advertise where they are and if you're vigilant, you can tell where you need to be careful.

The important thing is that they NOT mess with the light timings to screw people over something that supposedly happened before, goal should be safety, not another money grab

Old 02-07-2017, 07:21 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Yeah,, and they clearly advertise where they are and if you're vigilant, you can tell where you need to be careful.

The important thing is that they NOT mess with the light timings to screw people over something that supposedly happened before, goal should be safety, not another money grab
But people do not want to obey laws if it slows them down just a little. It is all about them.

Old 02-07-2017, 07:23 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,078,177 times
Florida legislature is currently working on a bill to remove and ban red light cameras In the state. Fl Dept of Trans has given testimony that crashes at camera locations have INCREASED by 10%. But all of the money paid out for those wrecks and injuries mean nothing to supporters who want the revenue collected. It's all about the money and nothing to do with 'it's for your safety'.
40% is from right turns, 50% is for a red light of LESS THAN ONE SECOND. Only 10% are a legitimate red light running [over 1 second] If fines for right turns are banned and one second is added to the yellow time, The camera companies will quit for lack of enough revenue.

Old 02-07-2017, 07:24 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,115,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aridon View Post
In a perfect world is prefer idiots not run red lights.
Yep, I would simply stop in the right turn lane and wait for it to turn green, if I am going to have to make a complete stop which, is often times more dangerous than using my existing momentum to go, then I might as well stop for a while and check my email or change my music and back up traffic.

There is no reason to require someone to come to a complete stop for a right on red, especially if the field of vision is great. If its a highly congested area where you have to get right up to the line before you can see around, find but 99.95 of turns you can see long before you arrive at the cross walk.

also if you speed up to go through a yellow and it just turns red as you pass through, no one is going to be able to take off the line and hit you before your through.

The real danger is someone who straight up runs a light that has been red for some time and the other traffic patterns are in full flow.

Everyone knows that, I don't know why people like you like to be intellectually dishonest. Its a racket so stop being obtuse.

Old 02-07-2017, 07:28 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post

And taxes will have to go up when they are overturned and all the money has to be refunded to the victims in these red light scams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida