Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 10:01 PM

11 posts, read 50,741 times

Advertisements

But id REALLY like it if people would please stop moving to florida. Its soooo over crowded and the beaches are looking like hell. Plus, theyre destorying so many forest land here that I used to admire as I drive by to place condos and town homes. I really think they need to regulate the amount of people they allow to live here :/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2006, 04:52 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,622,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OoAllyoO View Post
But id REALLY like it if people would please stop moving to florida. Its soooo over crowded and the beaches are looking like hell. Plus, theyre destorying so many forest land here that I used to admire as I drive by to place condos and town homes. I really think they need to regulate the amount of people they allow to live here :/
I would like it if people would stop moving here also, for the same reasons, however, regulation on "the amount of people they allow to live here", would not only be impractical, it would be illegal, as well. After all, we don't live in a dictatorship. We wouldn't want a government official telling any of us where we could live. I've lived in Northwest Florida for over twenty-six years, both of my children were born and raised here, and I've watched the growth in my area with a jaundiced eye. By the same token, I can't point a finger, since I, myself, am not a native-born Floridian, (just out of curiosity, are you a native Floridian?). That's what our country is all about. Being able to take our foot in our hand, and go to another area, where we believe that perhaps we will have a better life for ourselves and our children. Perhaps, some day, I will move to another state, and if I do, I would hate to think that the doors of that state would be closed to me.There are other ways to regulate growth, when it concerns industry, businesses, etc. Even how many houses can be placed in a subdivision, depending on the zoning laws. But, regulating the population, itself, (as much as I hate the over-growth, the overusage of our natural resources, etc.), isn't the answer. (If your statement was actually being said tongue in cheek, then you can disregard what I said. I'm not trying to jump on you. Just pointing out a couple of things. By the way, I've said the same things. I just think we all get frustrated, when we see out-of-control growth, and have to watch things change, all around us, sometimes not for the better.

Old 12-05-2006, 05:07 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
I just think we all get frustrated, when we see out-of-control growth, and have to watch things change, all around us, sometimes not for the better.
Yes.
That is part of the reason we left Denver, and now here we are contributing to the growth in northern Florida.
Believe me, a lot of this same stuff has been happening in Colorado.
Someone else (was it Muggy? Can't remember) made a good post about how people end up migrating in nomadic fashion trying to find the right (and affordable) niche for themselves.
We are interested in "smart" growth, new urbanist practices, and walkable communities. We are hoping to be a worthy addition to northern Florida.

Old 12-05-2006, 10:02 AM

48 posts, read 222,558 times
Default No

I don't think u are being mean at all. You are meerly stating your concern towards the situation you are having to live with daily. Years ago I would say the same.... Please please please stop coming to Florida and it has only become worse since. This is leading us to migrate elsewhere and the people who live there are saying for US not to move there in fear of being over crowding. I guess it's a never ending cycle.

Last edited by gabound; 12-05-2006 at 11:06 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 12-05-2006, 10:30 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,087,630 times
dont worry, I am on my way out of Florida, its a state for rich people with half a million for their dream house. Ill get my dream house at a price I can afford in a city like Oil city.

Old 12-05-2006, 10:45 AM

I think im native, although not born here, my parents moved here after I was born. So, basically, been living here since I was 1 years old :P Im never going to leave since I love it here (prefereably south florida but no one speaks english and I dont speak spanish so its gonna be a problem). Well, yeah, telling people they cant move here would look a little iffy, but one day something is going to happen in that florida is too over crowded and we are going to be setting out eyes on the everglades or the other preserved parks. We may never even have forests one day anymore. Those things keep me sane! Haha. I live in st.pete btw, in the tampa bay area. St. pete has alot preserved forests that they keep as parks, and im noticing that alot more people are going to these parks, and their is even graffiti and trash, something ive never seen before. Im even concerned about my safety when I see the new type of people going there :/ People just keep coming here!

Ive been seeing alot of vacationers here now, for the winter. (I read the licence plates). The traffic is -so- bad D:

Old 12-05-2006, 10:46 AM

42 posts, read 76,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OoAllyoO View Post
Mean is not the correct term. . Were you born in Florida? If not then it is kind of the mentality of; now that I am here I want everyone else to stop coming. . . And now that you are here you want the government to "regulate" others from moving to the state?

Old 12-05-2006, 11:12 AM

48 posts, read 222,558 times
Cool Ally

i currently live in south florida, miami to be exact. So west I am close to the everglades and they are slowly cutting and burning down those areas to make room for lennar, shoma, etc (these are builders here).

As a matter of fact 5 years ago I would go to the everglades and enjoy mudding and hanging out with friends... guess what? My home is now sitting where we used to hang out. So much for that!

Old 12-05-2006, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky View Post
Mean is not the correct term. . Were you born in Florida? If not then it is kind of the mentality of; now that I am here I want everyone else to stop coming. . . And now that you are here you want the government to "regulate" others from moving to the state?

No its not the mentality that now im here I want everyone to stop coming. Basically, too many people are moving here, and the people who build those condos and townhomes are to blame (not the actual builders themsleves). Maybe your just offended because your one of those people who just moved here, but you got me wrong T_T

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabound View Post
i currently live in south florida, miami to be exact. So west I am close to the everglades and they are slowly cutting and burning down those areas to make room for lennar, shoma, etc (these are builders here).

As a matter of fact 5 years ago I would go to the everglades and enjoy mudding and hanging out with friends... guess what? My home is now sitting where we used to hang out. So much for that!
Gah, dont say that! *cries* Man, I was hoping that they werent dong this to everglades and that maybe im wrong.

Old 12-05-2006, 02:00 PM

3,484 posts, read 9,422,159 times
Don't blame the builders, blame your local government. The builders can do whatever they like since the entire state of Florida has decided not to enact any zoning regulations that are quite common in most other parts of the country. Regulations on building usually equals smart growth, which is not what I see in Florida. I hadn't been back in some time, but recently spent a lot of time in the Kissimmee area and was in shock by what they have done to the area. Until someone in government gets smart and decides that laws and zoning regulations are actually good things, you will see the developments keep on rolling out. Such a shame.

I am surprised the people of Florida haven't made an issue about this at election time. If I still lived there I sure would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida