Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2017, 03:01 PM

54 posts, read 119,755 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am considering moving to Florida with the purpose of starting a farm to grow fruit trees and be self sufficient. I.e. Growing my own fruit and vegetables. I am afraid that a hurricane could destroy my farm, however. I don't know enough about hurricanes to know how much they affect farms in Florida and where, if anywhere, is protected enough to at least keep a farm intact. Which areas of Florida would be good to plant a fruit farm and keep it protected from hurricane damage? I know there are lots of orange and tropical fruit farmer day in Florida, so there must be a way around this problem. In addition to the farm issue, just looking for friendly places to live in Florida with a farming community. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2017, 03:07 PM

27,197 posts, read 43,896,295 times
You want to be far enough south that frosts and freezes don't destroy your crops like they have in Central Florida over the years and is a far more consistently valid issue to consider. Hurricanes tend to wreak havoc most on the coasts and less inland so given your need for agricultural land would suggest something in the interior areas from US60 south toward Lake Okeechobee, along US27 between Frostproof and Labelle.

Old 05-25-2017, 04:49 PM

54 posts, read 119,755 times
Ok thank you. Can you name a few towns between Frostproof and Labelle? Don't know florida at all. Anywhere where there is a hub of tropical fruit growing?

Old 05-26-2017, 07:47 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
You want to be far enough south that frosts and freezes don't destroy your crops like they have in Central Florida over the years and is a far more consistently valid issue to consider. Hurricanes tend to wreak havoc most on the coasts and less inland so given your need for agricultural land would suggest something in the interior areas from US60 south toward Lake Okeechobee, along US27 between Frostproof and Labelle.
Agree^^^. You have to be pretty far south in the state to avoid freezes, which are far more likely to harm crops than hurricane threat. Also, you need to be pretty knowledgeable about these crops (pests, fertilizer, etc) to have them thrive. It's not a matter of "stick 'em in the ground and let 'em do their thing" you know? This can be a big investment so be prepared.

Good luck to you!

Old 05-26-2017, 10:17 AM

686 posts, read 621,961 times
Yeah I'd worry more about frost. You'll need to be far enough south to where that isn't an issue, but that means down on the peninsula somewhere. I'd guess that SWFL is a tad less likely to be directly hit by a hurricane (I think the Keys and Miami are the most likely), but it's all a moot point since they can strike anywhere.

Old 05-27-2017, 05:28 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,442,779 times
Freezes and frosts are not a big issue. Example: north Texas has great peaches, melons, corn, etc, and has routine freezes. Actually helps all trees except for oranges due to growing periods. Also kills off some pests. Ocala and north because of the soils. Down here in SW FL the soils are sterile with no earthworms.

Old 05-27-2017, 05:48 AM

27,197 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cblueberry1 View Post
Ok thank you. Can you name a few towns between Frostproof and Labelle? Don't know florida at all. Anywhere where there is a hub of tropical fruit growing?
Frostproof is probably your best bet and will be the most affordable with some "turn-key" groves already in place.

31 acres | Agribusiness for Sale | Polk County, FL | Land And Farm
14 acres | Agribusiness for Sale | Polk County, FL | Land And Farm
10 acres | Orchard for Sale | Polk County, FL | Land And Farm

Old 05-27-2017, 05:54 AM

30,431 posts, read 21,241,024 times
Forget oranges as greening sickness has about killed every tree. Hurricanes are very rare. Bugs and dry weather is what you need to worry about as our weather changes over the years. Much hotter weather and less rain will make it harder to grow anything here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida