Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 03:39 PM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Lugo View Post
Also, is there a lot to do in Orlando?
No more or less than Tampa-St Pete and would depend upon what you find appealing in terms of things to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2017, 04:03 PM

195 posts, read 214,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
The average age in Tampa is 35, the average age in St Petersburg is 42 (and falling fast) and in Jacksonville the average age is also 35.... bearing in mind the US average age is 37. Sometimes perception doesn't equate to reality, so would suggest you investigate deeper than "first glance" which often leads to sweeping generalizations that aren't true. I would urge you to spend a little time and look in/around downtown St Pete, downtown Tampa and downtown Orlando before making snap judgments or relying on what can be chamber of commerce-like posts from some on this forum.
The problem with Jacksonville was that is too Bible-beltish and the city was one big church town and I hated that. I want something more happening like Chicago but without the ridiculous taxes and expenses of Chicago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
No more or less than Tampa-St Pete and would depend upon what you find appealing in terms of things to do.
I like bars, pool halls, art galleries, music, and a place where there is a lot to do at night. I don't want it to be like Jacksonville where everything closes at 9pm, bars close at 1am, and no one is single and everyone is married.

Old 06-27-2017, 04:31 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,016,957 times
Quote:
I like bars, pool halls, art galleries, music, and a place where there is a lot to do at night. I don't want it to be like Jacksonville where everything closes at 9pm, bars close at 1am, and no one is single and everyone is married.
Well, bars don't close at 1... They close at 2.

Old 06-27-2017, 05:01 PM

1,333 posts, read 2,201,891 times
Why not Las Vegas? No state income tax, exciting city, lots and lots of service jobs.

If you hated Jacksonville, I don't think Orlando and Tampa are going to do it for you. It's going to be more of the same Florida crap just different kind of crap.

Old 06-27-2017, 07:53 PM

17,204 posts, read 15,404,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
Nobody mentioned the Tampa area. The question was about Tampa or Orlando.
Dude. Come on now.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:09 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,344,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
Why not Las Vegas? No state income tax, exciting city, lots and lots of service jobs.

If you hated Jacksonville, I don't think Orlando and Tampa are going to do it for you. It's going to be more of the same Florida crap just different kind of crap.
I don't think Vegas you will make a lot as well but the houses might still be a bit cheaper out there because it took them awhile to recover from the recession. Honestly that is not a bad recommendation. Nevada less crowded and you also have less humid weather and no hurricanes to deal with which jacks home and flood insurance up and it doesn't get super cold in Vegas. If I had family out there I would give it a run maybe. Also they have better gun laws in Nevada too! While there are no beaches there is a lot to do in Vegas. Also, it's not a super long drive to LA if you want to do stuff in a really big city.

I would probably take it over Florida. Less snowbirds too.

Old 06-28-2017, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
Well, bars don't close at 1... They close at 2.
Wait the bars close at 2pm in Tampa or is that Orlando? I've heard that they close at 3am or 4am in Orlando? Also, I mean people keep talking about the fact that the town is so young? I mean what do they mean by that? Is it mostly a college town? Is it the tourists that are young, or what? What are people talking about when they refer to this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post

Yeah I am just wondering which town is better for a more eligible bachelor? Also, most of the jobs I would be qualified for are low level management and security. Maybe drive like uber or lyft or something like that or amazon flex on the side. I think Orlando would be better for that, yes? I mean I am 18 credits from a bachelor's but until then, I think I might be stuck in mediocre jobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
I don't think Vegas you will make a lot as well but the houses might still be a bit cheaper out there because it took them awhile to recover from the recession. Honestly that is not a bad recommendation. Nevada less crowded and you also have less humid weather and no hurricanes to deal with which jacks home and flood insurance up and it doesn't get super cold in Vegas. If I had family out there I would give it a run maybe. Also they have better gun laws in Nevada too! While there are no beaches there is a lot to do in Vegas. Also, it's not a super long drive to LA if you want to do stuff in a really big city.

I would probably take it over Florida. Less snowbirds too.
Yeah, the snowbirds really don't bother me that much. I have actually considered Nevada, it's just that I don't really have any family out there. I was born and raised in Jacksonville, Florida. My mother, father, brother, cousin, dad,....everyone I know from my family is out there. Then my best friend lives in St. Petersburg. In Chicago, besides the ridiculous cost of living, the gangs, the crime, the unGodly high taxes, and the fact that you have to work 3 jobs here just to hold your head above water....I really do miss my family and friends a lot and I feel completely alone out here.

I lived in Miami in 2011 and used to sell Miami Heat Merchandise. That town was extremely fun and entertaining. The cost of living of everything wasn't that different from Jacksonville (except South Beach) but the rent....man the rent destroyed you out there. The rent out there was even higher than Chicago. It seemed like you could not live there unless you were rich because the rent was sky high.

Old 06-28-2017, 09:48 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,016,957 times
Quote:
Wait the bars close at 2pm in Tampa or is that Orlando? I've heard that they close at 3am or 4am in Orlando?
Bars in Tampa close at 2 if they even stay open that late. Our liquor laws require them to be closed by 3.

Old 06-28-2017, 11:09 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,964,842 times
The party dies after 2AM in Orlando

Old 06-28-2017, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
The party dies after 2AM in Orlando
Is the party everyday though? The reason I ask is because I will likely be working 11pm to 7 shifts because most of my experience is security, night auditing and working for hotels, and working as an administrative assistant. These are likely the kinds of jobs I will be getting. So if I was off on like a Tuesday and Wednesday for instance, would there be something to do? There really wasn't in Jax; In Jax, there was barely anything to do on a Friday night, much Tuesday or Wednesday. And I will note that the idea of hunting, fishing, and going to the beach has very little appeal to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida