Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 12:15 PM

7 posts, read 9,737 times

Advertisements

A few months back I finally visited the Sunshine State, a place I have wanted to visit for a very long time and absolutely fell in love with it!

I grew up in San Diego near the beach, while I was not born there it's where I did most of my growing up and spent the largest chunk of my life. I always lived within 10 minutes of the beach and while we never had much money I spent my days beachside. If nothing else I'd go jogging by the beach, get a sandwich and lounge by the beach, I surfed, I loved drinking a cup of coffee near the beach and just generally strolling near the coast, people watching and the overall feel of it just felt like home. A few years back I moved to Arizona in search of a cheaper cost of living and a change of environments. I was also leaving behind some bad memories and events. For awhile I liked Arizona, but always felt a bit out of place. I've always had a odd feeling of "what do you do here?" while living here. I've tried to find activities and fun things to do and have had some fun along the way, but I guess nothing can fill that void of the beach life...

I visited Florida and spent several weeks there, between the Panhandle, from Pensacola all the way past Panama City Beach. I didn't spend much time on the South West coast but did drive through a bit of it. Most of my time was spent from Jupiter all the way down to Key West. I know it might seem odd or silly but while I was there I felt like a piece of my soul was replaced and in fact, even better than before. I loved it better than California, I loved the overall "beachy" feel, all the recreation, tourism and general sense of "fun." I loved the weather and even though it got up to 88 degrees with high humidity, I didn't mind it one bit and found it to feel very "tropical."

Now I myself love anything and everything to do with tropical environments and the water. My biggest passion in life is Scuba Diving which I got to do while I was there. We dived in Key Largo, off the coast of Miami and at Vortex Springs up in the Panhandle. Diving is a passion me and my significant other share and really enjoy. One of my big decisions in moving to Florida of course is how the diving is, but there are other factors as well. I know if I lived in the Panhandle my diving possibilities are not near what they would be in South East Florida. I LOVED diving in the springs up north but I know there are only a handful of them and the coastal diving in the Panhandle is a bit subpar and often forces you to go quite deep (for the wreck diving). I've heard and seen how "budget friendly" diving can be in South East Florida if you are creative and make use of all the shore diving spots, both off the beach and in spots like the Blue Heron Bridge, not to mention the availability of dive boats, clubs, air fills and equipment.

So Diving is definitely a big part of my equation but I love anything to do with the water. I love Paddle Boarding, Kayaking, Boating and Fishing. In California I've had my fun with the water but the warmth and clarity and beauty of the water in Florida just blew my mind. I also loved the big, white, soft sandy beaches and the overall beach atmosphere, but that's the bad part! There was so much good that it made it hard for me to zero in or focus on one spot. One of the main reasons for my visit was scouting, scouting a place to call home...

I'm almost 30 years old now, I do not have a college degree unfortunately and I work in logistics. As is I don't make a whole lot of money which I hope to change some day (still a bit fuzzy on how I'll work all that out) but I don't want to continue to live life away from an area I love and in a place that I'm miserable. I really do miss the beach life.

I've come here hoping to find some advice and where you folks might recommend. I know everyone loves their area and heck, I don't blame you. There's not a place in Florida I didn't like, but I have to go all goldilocks mode and find "just" the right spot, I'll explain a bit more and if anyone can give some advice I'd be forever grateful!

The first spot I stopped off in was the Panhandle. I LOVED it. It reminded me of where I grew up in California, the little coastal towns forming one big "metro" like area, with tons of things to do, see, shop but without the big city feel. I do realize during peak season, just like in California you'll get more traffic which is totally fine (I actually like that, makes it feel very ALIVE). I loved that the beach is always RIGHT there. You're always so close to a beach. My favorite part by far was Destin, I absolutely LOVED Destin and everything about it, but again I loved the entire area. Of course, as I mentioned I know the diving there would be more sub par which is definitely a large consideration. If I could take the diving from the South East area and put it in the Panhandle I probably wouldn't even be making this thread! But Alas, the diving isn't quite what it is in South East Florida.

As far as daily life, I noticed there are a lot of cafe's and restaurant near the beach. I love coffee shops, are there good ones in the Panhandle, ones near the beach? One of my favorite things in life is getting a cup of Joe near the coast. I've heard that the Fort Myers area is actually incredible for that sort of thing, but I didn't get to spend much time in that area and the diving there is almost non-existent forcing you to drive over to the other side. Even so, I did like the overall "feel" of the South West region. It had kind of a "jungle" like feel to it, it felt more like a tropical island area to me than anywhere else I visited there which I really liked. I know also in the Panhandle that in the winter it can get a little chilly which just doesn't happen in South West and South East Florida.

I noticed that the areas above Miami, up to Jupiter (Broward/Palm counties) really reminded me of California. They had a lot of that feel to them, but also did have quite a tropical feel. I loved hanging out in Miami but I would probably never live right in "Miami" proper, being as how fast paced it is. I don't mind dealing with it when and if needed but to I liked how when you get up to about Pompano/Boca the pace slows down a bit and you can exhale. I know that in this area the diving is ALL around you. The Keys are nearby for weekend trips, but even on a nice afternoon there are many good shore dives and places like the Blue Heron Bridge to get your fins wet.

The real estate is definitely the cheapest in the Panhandle and at some point I do want to buy a house and I DO 100% want to make sure it is "near" the beach. It doesn't have to be right on it, but I'd like to be no more than 10 minutes away from the beach. I've noticed that in all the areas I've mentioned there are definitely some decent deals to be found on real estate. I don't need anything huge or fancy, just a nice little home to call home and something in a safe area.

That being said, my favorite area was probably the keys, but I know it is out of my budget possibilities so I would probably have to just cross that area out and until I "make it big" some day (haha...) and leave it on my weekender list. I also realize that if I ever do want to make short 2-3 day trips to places in the Caribbean the cost traveling out of Miami will be MUCH cheaper than the Panhandle, so there is more budget friendly and time friendly travel opportunities for sure. I do like how the Sun sets over the water in the Panhandle but I believe that's something I could get used to in South East Florida. The biggest thing I'm looking for aside from diving and general water recreation is a good place to live the beach life. Little straw shacks with coffee and cafe's, little restaurants and shops, places to walk around and hang out. I know the whole state has that but, what areas do you folks recommend or think is best?

I'm sorry for making this so long winded, there's still so much I'd like to say but I've seen that on this forum you folks are usually pretty kind to folks trying to express a thought, so I do apologize for rambling on. I'm happy to answer any questions if anyone can help me find the right area for me!

Thank you so much!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2017, 12:34 PM

24,409 posts, read 26,971,175 times
It's a great state, probably its biggest downfall are all the whiney babies who think the grass is greener on the other side. The good thing is, besides City-Data, I rarely come across such miserable people in real life lol.

Old 05-20-2017, 12:50 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,143,939 times
Find a job in a coastal city. Once you are living near the beach, you can explore other areas and if you like another area better repeat the process.

The Atlantic coast has better surfing than the gulf coast. And anywhere in Florida you will find the water much warmer than California.

Old 05-20-2017, 12:54 PM

27,231 posts, read 43,956,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HazyHorizons View Post
The biggest thing I'm looking for aside from diving and general water recreation is a good place to live the beach life. Little straw shacks with coffee and cafe's, little restaurants and shops, places to walk around and hang out. I know the whole state has that but, what areas do you folks recommend or think is best?
I think what you're referencing sounds more FL Keys or Caribbean than modern day Florida. For the closest matches you might check out Matlacha on the SW side not far from Ft Myers. Another option you might like is the Holmes Beach/Bradenton Beach area near Sarasota which has a quirky old-Florida vibe and great beaches. Lastly Stuart might have a vibe you like as well.

https://www.fortmyers-sanibel.com/di...es/pine-island

About the Island | Anna Maria Island Chamber

Stuart, Florida's historic downtown. Shopping, restaurants...Historic Downtown Stuart | Downtown Business Association of Stuart, Inc.

Old 05-20-2017, 01:33 PM

Thanks for the replies folks! @ BMW335xi I agree, no matter where you are for some it's just not the right place for them. There are a ton of people who absolutely LOVE Arizona, but me, I'm different from that. Some people LOVE Colorado and the mountains, while I think it can be gorgeous I would never want to live there. I'm sure there's people who hate Florida, but for me I like that type of vibe and feel. Different strokes for different folks.

@ Fred. I've kind of been thinking that. Nothing holds you down from moving to another part of the state. I feel like the Miami/Broward area probably has more possibilities for employment than say the Panhandle for things like logistics or office work, but I also know that even in areas like that, there are all kinds of jobs in all kinds of places.

@ Kyle. Don't get me wrong, it doesn't have to be as extreme as the Keys. Although that area is just pure AWESOME, I just want spots with chill places to hang out and catch that beach town vibe. I noticed that Pompano, Lauderdale by the Sea and Boca Raton definitely had areas like that. I'm just wondering how much and what spots on the SE coast are like that, what spots are good for a cup of coffee by the coast. I also wondered if there are good areas in the Panhandle for such things. Obviously it doesn't HAVE to be a straw hut, just places near the sand with good coffee, comfy seating and neat little cafe's and such. I know there must be because I'm not the only person into that sort of thing.

It does look like the Fort Myers area has a lot of what I like, it's just that it puts me at minimum a good 2 hours from any diving, meaning my only diving would be on the weekends and at that would take a good day worth of driving.

Old 05-20-2017, 02:08 PM

3,418 posts, read 7,791,588 times
Fredesh had the best advice.

You have talked a lot about the beach and diving but very little about jobs or budget.

Jobs, schools, housing. In that order. Always.

Old 05-20-2017, 02:13 PM

27,231 posts, read 43,956,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HazyHorizons View Post
. @ Kyle. Don't get me wrong, it doesn't have to be as extreme as the Keys. Although that area is just pure AWESOME, I just want spots with chill places to hang out and catch that beach town vibe. I noticed that Pompano, Lauderdale by the Sea and Boca Raton definitely had areas like that. I'm just wondering how much and what spots on the SE coast are like that, what spots are good for a cup of coffee by the coast.
The Panhandle isn't going to offer the best options for your line of work so would think twice there. The more I think about it and read what you're after maybe Hollywood Beach is more what you're looking for. It has a great Boardwalk area for walking/running/biking and very definitely has that chill beach town vibe.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk - VisitHollywoodFL.org

Old 05-20-2017, 02:18 PM

@ RMD

Schools are not of a concern at this moment. My budget will probably be whatever I can afford making a blue collar salary for the time being. Not sure what the future or advancement might bring but my budget would probably be around the 50k a year mark. I live cheaply as well. For a house I'd think the absolute highest end of my budget would be around 300k although anything closer to 200k would be better, although again I'm not there quite yet. I'd probably rent an apartment for my first year or so.

@ Kyle

True. The only places I figured might give me work in the Panhandle would probably either be Pensacola, Ft. Walton or Panama City. Aside from that you are probably correct. I do love the Hollywood beach area. I liked Lauderdale by the Sea as well and any little area like that. One thing I noticed is that there are a LOT of bars (to be expected) but are there any cool little cafe's to pop out a laptop? Any little coffee shops?

Old 05-20-2017, 02:27 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,333,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
It's a great state, probably its biggest downfall are all the whiney babies who think the grass is greener on the other side. The good thing is, besides City-Data, I rarely come across such miserable people in real life lol.
So true.

That being said:

Quote:
I'm almost 30 years old now, I do not have a college degree unfortunately and I work in logistics. As is I don't make a whole lot of money which I hope to change some day
That can be tough in FL. You need to find a job (read: not necessarily a degree) that will pay well enough to afford to be where you want to be here

Old 05-20-2017, 02:27 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,669,320 times
We have spent many winters in the FL Keys as snowbirds. The only information I can add is in the last few years the crime rate has increased including drugs, affordable housing in the Keys is practically non-existent, shopping is very limited and therefore basic necessities are expensive. The automobile/motorcycle accidents on US 1 are numerous, causing traffic congestion and at times entire US 1 is closed down, jobs are limited to tourist/restaurants/hotels. Beaches are limited in the Keys also. Spoke with a woman who worked in the hospital and she said they have started to bus in workers from Miami as they can get them cheaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida