Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 09:17 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,408,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
Up in Missouri, in Jefferson City they have a hall of "Famous Missourians" which is basically the hall of fame for famous Missourians.

Anyway, the liberals a couple years ago were all p*ssed off because Republicans decided to induct Limbaugh into the hall of fame.

So now when you go to the exhibit at the capital they have a bust of Rush Limbaugh on display.

North Florida is still bible belt in many areas though. Down here though it does not feel like that. To me Missouri has a much stronger bible belt feel to it. Even just 30 miles outside of St. Louis you see it. Joyce Meyers is from Missouri.

Those states I listed are all pretty rural states though. Even Missouri outside of the two major cities and Columbia are very rural. Even the medium sized cities up in MO would be considered very small cities by Floridian standards and rednecky like Cape Girardeau and Joplin.

FL is pretty urbanized now which I think dilutes the bible belt and southerness to it. Florida is also different because it wasn't a very populated state just 100 years ago. Heck during the civil war hardly anyone lived in the southern half of the state. Most of the people who started moving especially into the southern half of FL were from other states.

Hell, Florida only sent about 15,000 troops for the Confederacy. Missouri had about 60,000 Confederate soldiers. That's how sparsely populated FL was.
You're proving my point. FL is a purple state, thanks to the moderate central part of the state balancing the northern/red panhandle and the liberal part/south FL. It's still way better in terms of taxes and government spending as compared to real hardcore liberal states like NY and CA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 09:51 PM

24,444 posts, read 27,206,956 times
I love that Florida is 50/50... extreme in either direction is bad!

Old 08-04-2017, 10:27 PM

3,840 posts, read 3,410,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I'd prefer it to be about 60/40 Republican or more. Like it is in Kansas, Missouri, Mississippi, Idaho, Alabama, Wyoming.

You would get better gun laws and more freedoms.

Old 08-05-2017, 04:14 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,408,171 times
Quote:
I'd prefer it to be about 60/40 Republican or more. Like it is in Kansas, Missouri, Mississippi, Idaho, Alabama, Wyoming.

Except when it comes to abortion or if you're LGBT or want medical/recreational MJ etc

Old 08-05-2017, 07:44 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,375,847 times
Quote:
I agree.

I like to vote on issues that concern me. I don't vote party lines because I don't go totally one way or the other. Common sense is not so common these days. Politicians now just go in line step with their party. Forget thinking for yourself.

Old 08-05-2017, 07:52 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,051,352 times
Quote:
Yes, the third largest state in the U.S. should mimic some of the smallest. The entire population of Mississippi, for example, has less people than the Tampa Bay Area.

Old 08-05-2017, 01:37 PM

Quote:

I voted for Trump, but I'm not loyal to either party as I find them both deeply flawed and somewhat corrupt.

However, freedom goes both ways... while I want to feel confident I can use my guns in self defense without going to prison, I also want my gay friends to be allowed to marry, I want my female friends to be allowed to get an abortion, I want my sick friends to be able to get all kinds of medical marijuana, I want my friends who are terminally ill to be allowed to choose if they want to be given a dignity death... so there are freedoms both parties arent willing to give to the people.

I'd also say the states you mentioned are some of my least favorite in terms of economy and lifestyle. However, states like California I also don't want to live in, which is why 50/50 is pretty good to me. I'd like to see power shift back and forth from Democrats to Republicans etc, the good ideas won't be reversed, the bad ones will be.

With that being said, my views lean left, but I really feel like exyremists have taken over the Democratic Party, so if this sticks, I will probably find myself voting for moderate Republicans or Republicans who are hardcore bible thumpers.

Last edited by bmw335xi; 08-05-2017 at 01:47 PM..

Old 08-05-2017, 01:40 PM

3,840 posts, read 3,410,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
Yes, the third largest state in the U.S. should mimic some of the smallest. The entire population of Mississippi, for example, has less people than the Tampa Bay Area.
I'd love FL to mimic Mississippi, Missouri, Kansas. We'd have lower living cost AND supreme gun laws too.

Old 08-05-2017, 09:03 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,241,994 times
Some great comments here, folks, keep 'em coming. It's like putting together some guidelines where people can make some overall agreements and look for those qualities in potential candidates.

Old 08-05-2017, 10:25 PM

Quote:
I voted for Trump, but I'm not loyal to either party as I find them both deeply flawed and somewhat corrupt.

However, freedom goes both ways... while I want to feel confident I can use my guns in self defense without going to prison, I also want my gay friends to be allowed to marry, I want my female friends to be allowed to get an abortion, I want my sick friends to be able to get all kinds of medical marijuana, I want my friends who are terminally ill to be allowed to choose if they want to be given a dignity death... so there are freedoms both parties arent willing to give to the people.

I'd also say the states you mentioned are some of my least favorite in terms of economy and lifestyle. However, states like California I also don't want to live in, which is why 50/50 is pretty good to me. I'd like to see power shift back and forth from Democrats to Republicans etc, the good ideas won't be reversed, the bad ones will be.

With that being said, my views lean left, but I really feel like exyremists have taken over the Democratic Party, so if this sticks, I will probably find myself voting for moderate Republicans or Republicans who are hardcore bible thumpers.
Meant to say AREN'T hardcore Bible thumpers... i think religion has no place in politics
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida