Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 06:52 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,412,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSota14 View Post
It should never be that way though. This is why white nationalism or Pan Europeanism is rising here and in Europe especially. The people start to have enough when the struggle goes too long.
It has happened so the reason, which is NOT just the influx of illegals and legal immigrants from other Countries as it also has to do with what type of work people are willing to do and "white's" no longer want to pick tomatoes.

Quote:
And those jobs aren't coming back from China or India now.. forget it. I didn't fully drink the Trump kool aid. I don't buy his bs about 1 million new jobs either and under Obama, some of those same jobs were available like oil drilling or oil rig jobs and you had to go a long ways to move there often times. Its never worth it when you check that trade off too.
Some jobs will never come back because the businesses make money by exporting it. If they didn't, either the imports (which would come from foreign manufacturers), would drive them out of business or their prices would go up and we would pay more. Either way costs would rise and you better have a good job.

Quote:
I am just in the process of finding whats right for me.. Not chasing the economy in the next place I go, expect that I will be out of work and will have to depend on more saved money from living at home so I can go on my next venture. They get better and better as they go so the next one I make will be from a mature older mans mind..
Good for you. Many want it right now and their way.

Quote:
This move to FL had to happen even through the disappointments because I am going in steps despite some of the bad and even if I do have to leave and get closer to where my family is. I am looking at the country though now and possibly buying a cheaper house or get something cheaper than anything I've gotten here or maybe home ownership possibility which I will not do in FL for sure given the extra hurricane insurance costs with electric and water. I'll even move to some decrepit town if its quieter and more vanilla with that old time feel that a lot of FL is losing or is replaced by all kinds of junkies. I thrive on wholesome. In disarray I get tougher yes, but its still not ideal for me. I grew up middle class to upper middle after all in Massachusetts so, FL is still foreign to me even after all this time like how blacks go everywhere whites go. It wasn't like that so much back home
Fortunately in Fl it does not matter what race a person is and why shouldn't blacks go where whites go????? That should be nothing new to anyone.

Quote:
or the delis in the supermarket specialized in lobster stuff or huge selections of coldcuts and long lines for them. It wasn't like all that gross fried chicken or that subpar potato salad that Winn Dixie has or even Publix. But ya it wasn't unusual to have a supermarket deli on the regular being 3/4ths the quality of a Mazzaros type place. you cant look at Winn Dixie and say the same lol.
True but that is becoming a National issue as all we can buy now is junk food from.............. the farms due to GMO and the reality that Monsanto now owns all the seed and that seed does not reproduce, so you have to buy from them again and again and ... food will only get worse. Meat is being taken from animals treated with chemicals and poorly raised and it is getting worse as well. If you can find a nice spot near a farm not using today's seed or is raising animals organically (nearly impossible too) go for it. Unlikely you will find it in FL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2017, 09:55 PM

378 posts, read 488,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
What does it costs to go from Rochester to Palmyra or Lyons?
Palmyra doesn't appear to have any tolls (490 to 31)

The same could also be said for Lyons, unless you opted to take 490 to 90 to save 10 mins or so at a cost of $1.09

Old 08-24-2017, 07:38 AM

93,443 posts, read 124,120,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
No reasonable way to go across all of nys without taking the thruway
Not necessarily true. If you want to get from say NYC to Buffalo, you can either take I-80 to I-380 to I-81 north to I-86 to Route 219 north. You could take Route 17 from the NYC area, which becomes I-86 along the Southern Tier of NY. So, there are other ways to get across the state, but it will depend on the route.

You can get from Syracuse to NYC without paying a toll(I-81 to either Route 17 or via PA). Same for Rochester(I-390 to I-86 east or say on that when it becomes Route 17 or go via PA). Albany may be a different story, but that may depend on if one takes say Route 9. It will be more scenic though. So, there are options.

Old 08-24-2017, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyITGuy View Post

The same could also be said for Lyons, unless you opted to take 490 to 90 to save 10 mins or so at a cost of $1.09
Exactly, as Palmyra and Lyons are both in the Rochester metro area/Wayne County.

Old 08-24-2017, 07:49 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,412,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyITGuy View Post

Just curious, as I did not know where the Toll booths were and how many, before any city along the route.

Old 08-24-2017, 03:23 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,339,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Not necessarily true. If you want to get from say NYC to Buffalo, you can either take I-80 to I-380 to I-81 north to I-86 to Route 219 north. You could take Route 17 from the NYC area, which becomes I-86 along the Southern Tier of NY. So, there are other ways to get across the state, but it will depend on the route.

You can get from Syracuse to NYC without paying a toll(I-81 to either Route 17 or via PA). Same for Rochester(I-390 to I-86 east or say on that when it becomes Route 17 or go via PA). Albany may be a different story, but that may depend on if one takes say Route 9. It will be more scenic though. So, there are options.
Like I said. Not reasonable

Old 08-24-2017, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Like I said. Not reasonable
It is very reasonable and is pretty much an all multiple lane highway drive from beginning to end. So, yes, it is very reasonable.

Another way could be Route 20(A) from Buffalo to I-390 south to either I-86/Route 17 east or to Route 15 into PA to I-80 east.

One correction is that there is a partial toll if you go through PA and NJ into NYC.

Old 08-24-2017, 07:24 PM

Quote:
It is very reasonable and is pretty much an all multiple lane highway drive from beginning to end. So, yes, it is very reasonable.

Another way could be Route 20(A) from Buffalo to I-390 south to either I-86/Route 17 east or to Route 15 into PA to I-80 east.

One correction is that there is a partial toll if you go through PA and NJ into NYC.
Tell me a reasonable way to get from albany to buffalo without a tolled road?

Old 08-25-2017, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Tell me a reasonable way to get from albany to buffalo without a tolled road?
I'd say the closest route would be to take a similar as the ones to NYC from Buffalo, but at Binghamton you take I-88. It is pretty all highway, but will take about an hour longer.

It is a similar drive from say Daytona Beach to Miami on the FL Turnpike if you take I-90 from Buffalo to Albany.

Old 08-25-2017, 07:37 AM

Quote:
I'd say the closest route would be to take a similar as the ones to NYC from Buffalo, but at Binghamton you take I-88. It is pretty all highway, but will take about an hour longer.

It is a similar drive from say Daytona Beach to Miami on the FL Turnpike if you take I-90 from Buffalo to Albany.
Except Daytona to Miami has a non toll option that can take the same amount of time depending on traffic. Going through upstate N.Y.doesn't,, which was the original argument I had with another poster
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida