Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 03:36 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,743,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
The title may have been misstated, but the message was simple - "everyone be calm" - the importance or preparation, evacuation, security was duly noted. It was not naïve.

Those with short attention spans read the title. didn't read the content, and complained, a few felt compelled to do some "hit and run" sarcastic posts on the first few pages, including a realtor (I am sure that helps his or her business to know that a realtor will not take the time to read the details - that's comforting NOT in the real estate business). Those that read further got it. The counter message to this is "everyone panic because it will help".
I don't know if you were referring to my post but, if you were, I suggest you go back and read my post as thoroughly as you said others should have read the OP's comment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2017, 03:46 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
I don't know if you were referring to my post but, if you were, I suggest you go back and read my post as thoroughly as you said others should have read the OP's comment.
Yes I was referring to you and I did read your post. You are the one that specifically and incorrectly claimed the OP told everyone to "relax", which was a different message than what the OP was trying to convey (in spite of the title). You were actually redundant with the message and didn't even seem to know it.
My comments stand - you misrepresented the OP's post. And yes then that reflects on your profession.

Old 09-11-2017, 04:34 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,743,344 times
OP's message was don't panic (which I agreed with) and don't worry because it will pass and everyone will be fine. As it turned out, the storm was not the storm that was predicted at the time of the first post but I've read of at least three deaths here in Florida and it's not done yet. I'm sure those people and their families are fine, though. We don't even know the extent of the property damage, yet, much less the suffering it will cause.

If you want to stick to your position, go for it. The OP's message was well-meaning (and you know I wrote that because you read my post thoroughly) and I agreed that panic was not needed, but for you to defend the OP's suggestion ahead of the storm that "we will be fine" when he or she was plainly and clearly wrong, doesn't speak well for you, IMHO. As for my characterization of the message as being about telling people to relax, well, when someone tells someone else not to panic and we will be fine, I think that's a fair characterization.

Old 09-11-2017, 07:24 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post

I guess I am a dying breed that realized many decades ago of conservation and need to protect NATURAL habitats...I've lived long enough to be personally vindicated for such beliefs!! Capitalism is great for those who have the $$$ but does Nothing for middle to lower class citizens!!
Then no one should move anywhere where a house does not already exist. After all a few hundred years ago the whole State was a natural habitat for a wide variety of animals.

Liberalism in CA is driving the middle class out and leaving the State in the hands of the rich and poor. Is that good thing? Hurts the middle class and keeps the poor ... poor. Both ideologies, when controlled by radicals, left or right, fail. Remember if it is harder to find land to build on, a house costs more and more and .... well fewer can afford one. Right now the ultra rich control everything and sue ideology as a tool to get support.

For those who buy in low areas they must expect problem and live with it. With an increasing population where do we let people live? Building up just makes things worse. Look how the mass of condos and hotels has caused crowding, traffic problems and made beach access so bad in FL.

Old 09-11-2017, 01:21 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,448,899 times
Update on looters...

9 arrested in Florida for looting sneakers during Irma | tbo.com

Old 09-11-2017, 04:54 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
In Jacksonville, the shelters were only 10 percent full this afternoon.

As for Rick Scott, agree with you.

Actually I agree with the rest of your post.

The original post is Pollyanna-ish and frankly, insulting to people waiting on pins and needles trying to figure out where this thing is going to go.

Meant well or not, OP should have thought about this. "Irma - we will be fine." Tell that to Barbados, Cuba, and the Florida Keys.
Irma missed Barbados by 300 miles - what's your point?

Old 09-11-2017, 05:55 PM

48,532 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Perhaps they meant Barbuda. But I think the point was made despite that.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-15-2017, 10:15 AM

14,950 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
My life is way more important than a paycheck, and having grown up in Florida, most people I know have a hurricane fund that they keep back in case of times like these.

What isn't realistic is blaming your job for not having the guts to make the decision to get out and keep your family out of harm's way.
Easy to pontificate about it when you are not faced with the situation. Most people depend on those jobs to keep theirs and their families' lives going, and would likely have to think twice about losing a job over leaving it to get out of town in front of an approaching hurricane. And if one is a healthcare provider, or a first responder, and on hurricane duty, one would be derelict in one's duty if he/she said "to hell with you all, I and mine are getting out of town."

If one is a first responder, one is expected to shore up one's own property, make prior provisions for one's own family (which might involve evacuation, or hunkering in the same place provided to the first responders for this purpose during the storm.
Families, and even pets staying with the first responders, healthcare providers, and volunteers in their designated shelters during the storm seemed to be the order of the day here in Charlotte County, especially with the last minute call for widespread evacuation by the county emergency management.

Calling those folks who stay instead of getting out of town in the face of such a threat is, IMO, disingenuous on your part, especially when it's those folks who may well save your neck in the aftermath of a storm.

Old 09-15-2017, 12:30 PM

85 posts, read 56,767 times
Florida is way too bottle necked and way too prone to Hurricanes. There are two more brewing in the Atlantic and we are two months from end of season. If the Climate change people are right this could spell a long night mare for the coasts.

Old 09-15-2017, 12:43 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
I lived in Fl for years, KW to Orlando to Gainesv, Marco, Miami...one thing I tell my friends is you simply can not
imagine what people are going thru there!
The humidity in Sept, the heat....the smells now, no clean water, NO FANS EVEN! No roof....not even shade, the lines to wait in....
the mosquitoes....my heart is breaking for you all....rich and poor...this is SO bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida