Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 11:09 AM

4 posts, read 8,806 times

Advertisements

hi everyone, my hubby is in the process of booking our family holiday to florida, we have been 3 times before and always stuck to disney but are now tired of that, we love florida and would appreciate suggestions of other things to do and see, thanks x
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2008, 12:24 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times
Key West? It is very much like a Caribbean Island.

Old 06-14-2008, 12:34 PM

3,645 posts, read 7,150,786 times
the gulf coats - youi have from Tampa down to Naples to choose from. We love the Rotonda area -very quiet and close to all amenities

Old 06-14-2008, 12:37 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times
I am in love with the islands off the coast of Fort Myers, Sanibel and Captiva. They have the best sea shell collecting of any beach in the US. Its amazing how many seashells they have there.

I absolutely LOVE going there. The last time we went out, we took a boat over to Cayo Costa which you can only reach by boat, it was like being marooned on an island, only the people on our little boat were on that side of it, it was wonderful. Most of the island is a National Park, there are a couple houses but not so you see people.

Dolphins were playing in the water around use when we were in the boat and played in front of the island while we were there.

Old 06-14-2008, 12:55 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,212,237 times
We live in Florida and last year, for a change of pace, went to the Riverside Resort in Homosassa Springs. We got a 1 br that had a full kitchen and pull out bed in the living area. It faced the river (not all do, so be sure to ask for that). My kids were 10 & 13. We rented a small boat and went out to springs on the river and jumped off the side of the boat to swim. There is a little island off the property that has a few monkeys- we pulled the boat close and watched them.

A few companies take folks out to swim with manatees. That was awsome, we got to scratch them on their backs. I don't remember what company we used, but the captain was a lot of fun.

If you go in scallop season, they are very easy to find and you can bring scallops home for dinner.

One day we drove to Weeki Wachee Springs, which I thought was a bit hokey, but the kids loved it. They have a spring to swim in, a small water slide and, of course the live mermaid show. Weeki Wachee Springs

There is a nice restaurant at the resort and a big pool. At the end of the day we would come back and eat and the kids would swim and play with the other kids. They rent canoes, too, and if you fish, there is a bait shop right there and another right next door. It's a big fishing area. Freshwater and salt.

We never made it to Homosassa Springs, but that is also down the road. Might even be able to go by boat. Welcome to Homosassa Springs Wildlife State Park Web Gateway

Our room was within sight of the lounge and they have a rooftop deck where you can go have drinks. It was nice for me as a single parent, because at night I could just walk out and have a drink, listen to the acoustic guitar player and meet people while the kids watched TV or ran around the grounds with other kids. And it wasn't a bar-bar on the rooftop, kids come up and touch base with their folks, grab a bite, then take off to play. There is a lounge downstairs for adults. They had a pool table downstairs in a separate room and kids used that before a certain time at night.

Very friendly families there- some come for the same week and room every year. With the kitchen, we didn't spend a fortune on food or go to fast food places. They have grills for cooking out.

The kids still talk about that trip and want to go back. It's what Florida used to be and was neat to share it with my kids. I should note that it isn't a "resort" as most folks think of a resort. It is laid back, no frills, but was very fresh and clean.

Homosassa lodging, hotel accommodations, riverside views

It's less than an hour and half from Disney, so if you are here long enough, you could still do a day trip to see the mouse. But if you paln to do that, I'd think about Sea World. Or maybe a day trip to Busch Gardens in Tampa instead.

Old 06-14-2008, 05:32 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times
Here are my suggestions for cool things to do in SW Florida:

Babcock Wilderness Adventure is pretty neat. You go out through the woods in a swamp buggy. We saw wild boar, deer, turkey, cows, cougars, etc.

Historic Spanish Point is an interesting "Old Florida" kind of place.

Jungle Gardens has birds, you can stand next to a flamingo or pet an alligator at the alligator show.

Mote Marine is a marine science aquarium that has sharks, dolphins, turtles, etc. Many of the animals have been rescued and rehabilitated. Cool place to spend the afternoon.

MOSI Museum of Science and Industry

Solomon's Castle

Old 06-15-2008, 01:26 PM

Default florida holiday

thank you all for the brilliant suggestions, im looking them all up on the internet, thanks x

Old 06-15-2008, 02:42 PM

200 posts, read 683,934 times
Also check out St AUgustine. Fort to sight see (that is way cool - they shoot off the canons) and Alligator Farm but also lots of shopping and restr. and SUPER BEACHES! I just found that area out and we go there ALL the time!!
Check out:
St Augustine Florida Information
Things to Do in Saint Augustine - Saint Augustine Attractions - TripAdvisor
Things to do in St. Augustine, FL & St. Augustine Attractions . - Yahoo! Travel

ps I am not into History but after seeing the FORTS (saw two) - WOW I LOVE READING about history a lot more!!!

Good luck - have fun where ever you go!

Old 06-15-2008, 02:43 PM

200 posts, read 683,934 times
ps - you are close to Marineland, too - swim with the dolphins!
Welcome to Marineland
That is REALLY REALLY NEAT!!!!!

Old 06-17-2008, 11:41 AM

thank you HIF, my family looked up your suggestion of the riverside resort, and we have have booked 4 days there, just got to go through all the other ideas now, think we might need more than 2 weeks holiday this time lol....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida