Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2017, 05:27 PM

1 posts, read 521 times

Advertisements

I read some of the comments on the expense on maintaining a pool in south Florida but as I am looking at a house to buy in the Fort Lauderdale area, and everyone we like has a pool. I think I am more worried about my water bill than the expense of maintaining it, as I have done that in California. But I have also seen how much water evaporates out of a pool during the summer months in south Florida. Next door neighbor was always adding water to his pool, but maybe he did have a leak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2017, 07:17 PM

1,217 posts, read 1,225,334 times
Summer rains keep the pool full. If mine didn't have an overflow pipe, I'd have to pump it down.

Old 12-19-2017, 05:48 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,441,479 times
Two things. First the main expense is if you are running a chlorine pool vs a salt water pool. Minimal cost difference (chlorine generator) but you are not having to have to constantly be adding chlorine, watching pool chemical balances, etc. our operating coats for chemical is about 100 a year for salt and stabilizer. Second, as the other poster said, in the rainy season, you seldom have to add water. In dry season, use a pool cover as it restricts evaporation, very limited water added.

Old 12-19-2017, 11:47 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,389,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
Two things. First the main expense is if you are running a chlorine pool vs a salt water pool. Minimal cost difference (chlorine generator) but you are not having to have to constantly be adding chlorine, watching pool chemical balances, etc. our operating coats for chemical is about 100 a year for salt and stabilizer. Second, as the other poster said, in the rainy season, you seldom have to add water. In dry season, use a pool cover as it restricts evaporation, very limited water added.
A friend just put in a Salt water pool and says it is more of a hassle than a standard pool adding chlorine.

Old 12-19-2017, 11:58 AM

459 posts, read 585,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
A friend just put in a Salt water pool and says it is more of a hassle than a standard pool adding chlorine.

And also a LOT more expensive as folks will see when the coils die in 3-5 years and have to be replaced. Saltwater pool may be OK but it is just a new fad and teh pool still needs chlorine which is all teh units does -- extracts the chlorine.

I used one tablet a week and 4 gallons of muratic acid a year .... CHEAP to maintain. Probably didn't add 1000 gallons of water annually. Maybe $125/annual cost total.

If you cover the pool in winter you can just about count on it going green by spring ... kills it. I stopped using the cover and never had another issue.

Old 12-19-2017, 04:40 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,237,198 times
Saltwater pools are hardly a "new fad", they've been around for ages. I think the reason they have become more attractive is that people are tired of the chlorine smell. I agree that the salt generator cell replacement costs need to be factored in, somewhere around $100-200 a year on average.

Old 12-19-2017, 07:13 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,389,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexLan View Post
And also a LOT more expensive as folks will see when the coils die in 3-5 years and have to be replaced. Saltwater pool may be OK but it is just a new fad and teh pool still needs chlorine which is all teh units does -- extracts the chlorine.

I used one tablet a week and 4 gallons of muratic acid a year .... CHEAP to maintain. Probably didn't add 1000 gallons of water annually. Maybe $125/annual cost total.

If you cover the pool in winter you can just about count on it going green by spring ... kills it. I stopped using the cover and never had another issue.
Yep, a cover when not in use any time of the year helps a lot. I have no trouble with chlorine as I add it carefully and not all at once. Never had a pool problem.

Old 12-20-2017, 09:34 AM

459 posts, read 585,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Saltwater pools are hardly a "new fad", they've been around for ages. I think the reason they have become more attractive is that people are tired of the chlorine smell. I agree that the salt generator cell replacement costs need to be factored in, somewhere around $100-200 a year on average.

"new fad" in that recently being promoted as the best thing.

I have never smelled chlorine in the pool.

The saltwater pool extracts the chlorine from the salt and puts it in the pool. The source of chlorine is immaterial - it's still chlorine. I'm not sure but you may also need to add a stabilizer whereas it is already in the tabs.

Old 12-20-2017, 09:47 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,254,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady_Banker View Post
I read some of the comments on the expense on maintaining a pool in south Florida but as I am looking at a house to buy in the Fort Lauderdale area, and everyone we like has a pool. I think I am more worried about my water bill than the expense of maintaining it, as I have done that in California. But I have also seen how much water evaporates out of a pool during the summer months in south Florida. Next door neighbor was always adding water to his pool, but maybe he did have a leak.
The only time we ever had to add water often to our pool often (every few weeks), it had a leak.

It will affect your water bill very little and pool chemicals are not all that costly, and we maintained the chemicals ourselves. Very low maintenance. I think having a pool in FL is totally worth it--just make sure that the pool you are looking at does not need to be resurfaced any time soon--that is costly.

What affects your water bill is where you get your water from. I.e., we lived in a town with a city boundary (not FTL) and paid city water prices, which is what they based sewer payments on. A friend who lived in the county but not the city (same town) paid much lower water bills with a family of four, than we paid for two.

Old 12-20-2017, 10:02 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,237,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexLan View Post
"new fad" in that recently being promoted as the best thing.

I have never smelled chlorine in the pool.

The saltwater pool extracts the chlorine from the salt and puts it in the pool. The source of chlorine is immaterial - it's still chlorine. I'm not sure but you may also need to add a stabilizer whereas it is already in the tabs.
Thanks, I understand it's still chlorine. What I'm thinking of is the fact that there is not ENOUGH chlorine in a traditional pool and you get the chloramine smell. With a salt water system it continually maintains even levels.

If you are able to maintain the right level yourself you don't need a salt system!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida