Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 01:45 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
People have irrational fears... there is a difference between swimming in a lake known to release gators vs simply living in a house in a neighborhood on a lake/pond.
You are right, but so many people want to put FL down that they keep talking about gators.

Obviously they have no idea of reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2018, 02:20 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,905,231 times
I guess natives are used to it. But if you come from a state like Maine, where there have been NO bad animal attacks of any kind for the last 100 years, then 10 or 20 alligator attacks per year just seems high. We're just not used to that kind of thing.

Oh and FWIW, I love Florida. Go as often as we can. Would really like to buy a second place there.

Old 04-14-2018, 02:35 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
I guess natives are used to it. But if you come from a state like Maine, where there have been NO bad animal attacks of any kind for the last 100 years, then 10 or 20 alligator attacks per year just seems high. We're just not used to that kind of thing.

Oh and FWIW, I love Florida. Go as often as we can. Would really like to buy a second place there.
I’m not a native... lived in Alaska, Washington, California, Australia and Florida... every area has some kind of irrational fear whether its earthquakes, hurricanes, bears, gators, snakes, sharks, mountain lions etc... moose or kangaroos tend to be the worst ones because people think they are cute, so they try to feed one during mating season or one with a baby. I’m sure Maine has had a bear or moose related injury even death despite the tiny population. The more I travel and reside in places, the more I realize most fears are irrational.

Old 04-14-2018, 03:58 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:

The average attack is 7 per year and in the third most populous State with millions of visitors.

Maine is a nice quiet place but it has a few animal/insect issues ... except for Sasquatch.

10 Dangerous Critters in Maine

And bears do....

"It appeared to be the first time in Maine that a human had fought off a bear since 2010."

https://bangordailynews.com/2018/02/...ked-his-puppy/

Rare and unusual, yes.

Maine is nice, except in Winter as I hate the cold.

Old 04-14-2018, 04:04 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
Sierra club lied treating predators with respect does not make it safe
Do not hang out near predators
They are not afraid of people
Only afraid of people with guns
Side note
The difference between human predators and animal is very narrow

Old 04-14-2018, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I’m not a native... lived in Alaska, Washington, California, Australia and Florida... every area has some kind of irrational fear whether its earthquakes, hurricanes, bears, gators, snakes, sharks, mountain lions etc... moose or kangaroos tend to be the worst ones because people think they are cute, so they try to feed one during mating season or one with a baby. I’m sure Maine has had a bear or moose related injury even death despite the tiny population. The more I travel and reside in places, the more I realize most fears are irrational.
I understand what you are saying.
You are incorrect about bear or moose attacks in Maine (we only have black bears).

Old 04-14-2018, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
The average attack is 7 per year and in the third most populous State with millions of visitors.

Maine is a nice quiet place but it has a few animal/insect issues ... except for Sasquatch.

And bears do....

"It appeared to be the first time in Maine that a human had fought off a bear since 2010."

Rare and unusual, yes.

All the many news reports from last year said that Florida was on pace to set a record for Alligator attacks. I believe that it was 17 attacks by September. (Interestingly, all of the reporting on this issue completely stopped in September. I tried and tried to locate the year-end total but had no luck. I am not a conspiracy nut but it sure seems that the word went out from someone to stop reporting on the issue.....bad for tourism maybe?)

Old 04-14-2018, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post

And bears do....

Rare and unusual, yes.

He disturbed a hibernating bear's den. Even with that, all it did was knock him down, and then ran away.
That is the only time I recall such a thing in Maine over the last 40 years. Black bears run away fast at the first smell or noise from humans.
BTW that list in the link is just silly.

Old 04-14-2018, 07:18 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,627,476 times
Quote:
So what about the idea of owning a place on the water, then (non-ocean)??
What good does it do for parents to buy a place on the water if you have to be worried all the time about your kids getting too close to the water without you being there??
And yet everybody does it...........waterfront of any kind is in high demand.
People enjoy the view and peacefulness of living on a lake or some water. I do and enjoy not having a black door neighbor. Not to mention the nice breeze coming off of it. My son swam in my lake. It is almost 60 acres and is spring fed. Never seen or heard of an Alligator or snake. I have seen a couple iguanas. some neighbors do let their kids swim or jump off their small boats. After hearing about that amoeba I wouldn’t advise anyone to swim in anything other than a pool or ocean if you aren’t afraid of sharks. After watching JAWS i never had the inclination to swim in water where I can’t see my feet.

Old 04-14-2018, 10:43 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:
I understand what you are saying.
You are incorrect about bear or moose attacks in Maine (we only have black bears).
It's like someone saying, no way would I drive in maine because I might die from hitting a moose or getting mauled by a bear. I'm sure you would say those are irrational fears.

Six Cars Crash into Moose on 95, Two People Injured

Moose collision kills Maine woman, tears roof off car

https://www.centralmaine.com/2016/08...ose-collision/

https://www.pressherald.com/2010/09/...ur_2010-09-15/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida