Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2018, 05:43 PM

2 posts, read 4,854 times

Advertisements

Got a few questions for you all to assist me in finding answers to

Back in 2013 I moved from Orlando to Houston. At that time my car and drivers license was all from Florida as it was where I was originally from born and raised. I am going to be moving back to Orlando for the next 6months - year while I am taking care of my elderly and sick parents. I will be living with them in Orlando and using their address as my new physical residence as I am leaving all of my belongs in storage here in Texas.

My new car (bought Brand New) in 2017 is currently registered and insured in Texas, and I also have a Texas Drivers License. I will be needing to register my car in Florida when I arrive next week and had the following questions.

1) I have an OLD Florida Specialty License plate that expired from my old car that was totaled. The License Plate did expire when I moved here to Texas in 2013. Can I reuse this old FL license plate that was in my name so I don't have to pay the $250 new fee for a plate?

2) When I moved to Texas back in 2013 my Florida license was surrounded to get my Texas license. At that time I was unaware that my FL license would a few months later be suspended due to a toll violation that I need to pay before I get a FL DL. Do I have to surrender my Texas DL or can I just get a replacement FL DL since its just suspended due to the Toll Violation.... how does that all work?

3) Legally speaking my Texas Drivers License is VALID but my FL DL # when I look it up online is Suspended. Am I legal to drive in Florida with my Texas DL, I'm worried an officer would give me a hard time if they found my FL DL suspended. How does that work? During my drive back to FL I have a friend flying in to Houston to help me for the drive so I was just going to have her drive when we arrived in FL so theres no issues.

Any suggestions to make this process simple and cheap would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2018, 06:40 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,446,241 times
Definitely need to speak with an attorney on this

Old 04-09-2018, 01:49 PM

2 posts, read 4,854 times
an attorney lol I think the DMV will be just fine.

I guess thanks?

Old 04-10-2018, 07:30 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,140,997 times
DMV should be able to answer your questions.

My guess you will have to pay your overdue fines. You might get a better deal clearing the old fine while you are in Texas and Florida DMV doesn't have any leverage. If you wait until applying for a license in person in Florida, you may find that there is a bench warrant for the fine and they may threaten to take you to mail unless you pay them on the spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: