Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 08:48 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,873,906 times

Advertisements

I saw the creepiest snake a few days ago. I open up my back door to let the dogs out and it was just sitting there to the right, I wasn't sure if it was alive but then I saw it flick it's tongue. Luckily the dogs didn't see it. It was most likely just a harmless black garden snake but I threw a twig at it and it didn't move. Then when the dogs went inside I got a larger piece of branch and was gonna try to get it to move or pick it up but it finally left as I got close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2018, 09:09 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,910,627 times
While they are certainly here, snakes are more interested in avoiding people, than vice-versa. Fortunately, the lizards keep the bugs under control ... except for the love bugs which swarm the highways periodically, racing headlong into clean car hoods and bumpers.

Old 04-14-2018, 12:46 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,520,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
While they are certainly here, snakes are more interested in avoiding people, than vice-versa. Fortunately, the lizards keep the bugs under control ... except for the love bugs which swarm the highways periodically, racing headlong into clean car hoods and bumpers.
It is the funniest thing, but with all I have heard about bugs after dozens of trips all over FL, my windshield is no more dirty with bugs than in any other State I have driven in. Now I only did SW FL once so maybe that is where they are all at. Even the one time I saw Love Bugs in E. Central FL it was no big deal. I still want to see a Palmetto bug.

Old 04-14-2018, 12:53 PM

25,446 posts, read 9,905,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citiesandall View Post
Forgive me for asking a potentially silly question:
I love certain aspects of Florida such as the heat and cost of living, and certainly others do too. However, how do residents avoid critters such as snakes and bugs such as the palmetto (roaches)? Certainly retirees and other people who dislike reptiles and bugs like myself can find a way to avoid them... Is the solution to live in a high rise condo? Call the pest control constantly? Use lots of snake fence? How do people deal with it?
Thanks for indulging me.
I'm a native Floridian, in my 60s. I've seen one poisonous snake, a coral snake, about 9 years ago. The others have been non-poisonous. My husband has seen poisonous snakes, but he was out looking for them, especially as a kid.

But we do have lots of bugs. Mosquitoes, no-see-ums, roaches and spiders. I don't see many palmetto bugs though. And lots of lizards, which I like. It sort of goes with the territory.

Old 04-14-2018, 02:30 PM

24,439 posts, read 27,194,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
It is the funniest thing, but with all I have heard about bugs after dozens of trips all over FL, my windshield is no more dirty with bugs than in any other State I have driven in. Now I only did SW FL once so maybe that is where they are all at. Even the one time I saw Love Bugs in E. Central FL it was no big deal. I still want to see a Palmetto bug.
Yep, a lot more windshield bugs when i lived in Alaska and Seattle area. However, love bug season here can be horrible for cars. At least they are chill little dudes that dont hrt you.

Old 04-14-2018, 04:00 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,520,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Yep, a lot more windshield bugs when i lived in Alaska and Seattle area. However, love bug season here can be horrible for cars. At least they are chill little dudes that dont hrt you.
I think the problem is the heat in FL, the bugs just can't fly in it so they walk.

Old 04-14-2018, 08:36 PM

3,985 posts, read 8,237,616 times
Though of this thread when I was reading the news and saw this

Spring brings cottonmouth snakes out in Florida

Old 04-15-2018, 06:32 AM

1,555 posts, read 2,532,883 times
I ran into the Cottonmouth on more than one occasion, especially while harvesting Palmetto berries, when I lived in the jungle of Fellsmere.

Old 04-15-2018, 02:54 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,160,528 times
A pest control company will keep bugs out of your house and garage. If you buy a house surrounded by grass mowed short, have a lawn care company and have few shrubs or trees with wildlife value, you can maintain an sterile almost wildlife free yard. If that is what you like, it is easy to do.

We like wildlife, I saw a box turtle yesterday and a legless lizard or black snake today. But we make our property wildlife friendly. Florida can be either a wildlife haven or almost wildlife free. It's up to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida