Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2018, 12:45 PM

2 posts, read 2,122 times

Advertisements

Hello all! I'm looking to move to the Daytona/Ormond beach area as I recently got a new job. What is the best way to search for apartments/condos/homes to rent in the area and some of the safer neighborhoods?

I will be moving from Jax so I thought about driving down for a day during the weekend and looking at some the neighborhoods. I'm not a huge fan of zillow etc, but any local papers that you think I should check out are welcome.

Looking for something cat-friendly, central air, and less than $1,100.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Yac; 11-27-2020 at 03:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2018, 08:26 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,140,631 times
The Daytona area is an easy drive from Jax, straight down 95. The area is small enough you can drive anywhere in a half hour. There are a lot of rentals in this area and it is a popular area for snowbirds. The Daytona area is less expensive than Jacksonville so you should easily find what you are looking for.

If you are a beach person I would recommend Ormond-by-the-sea. There are lots of condos on the beach and bungalows galore. At the other end Wilber and Ponce Inlet have lots of high rises on the beach. Beachside the area near main street in Daytona is sketchy and I would avoid it. On the mainland I would avoid Holly Hill. Port Orange is safe and has nice housing with lots of apartment complexes but I think that area is too boring.

Old 09-20-2018, 07:26 AM

2 posts, read 2,122 times
Thanks so much! Would you say most of the those apt/condos in Ormond are HUrricane-safe?

Old 09-20-2018, 07:50 AM

17,148 posts, read 15,350,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mostlykelp View Post
Thanks so much! Would you say most of the those apt/condos in Ormond are HUrricane-safe?
Yes.

Old 09-20-2018, 10:58 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,427,049 times
The Reserve in Ormond Beach is right next to the hospital, nice area near 95 (really near but I think the apartments are a distance where noise wouldn't be an issue. They are pet friendly and a 1 bedroom is under $1100.

Old 09-20-2018, 04:20 PM

27,182 posts, read 43,876,617 times
Quote:
Hello all! I'm looking to move to the Daytona/Ormond beach area as I recently got a new job. What is the best way to search for apartments/condos/homes to rent in the area and some of the safer neighborhoods?

I will be moving from Jax so I thought about driving down for a day during the weekend and looking at some the neighborhoods. I'm not a huge fan of zillow etc, but any local papers that you think I should check out are welcome.

Looking for something cat-friendly, central air, and less than $1,100.

Thanks in advance!
I would recommend checking out Bermuda Estates in Ormond Beach or Integra Woods on the SW edge of Palm Coast right off of I-95. I would be very careful with the remaining options (outside of the Reserve mentioned above) as I feel they could be kind of iffy despite higher price points, as there are not a lot of options in the area.

https://www.bermudaestates-ormond.com/
Seminole Woods Palm Coast, FL Apartments for Rent | Integra Woods

Last edited by Yac; 11-27-2020 at 03:26 AM..

Old 09-20-2018, 04:28 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,140,631 times
Quote:
Current wind code beachside is 135+ mph. In practice beachside, you get stuff built for Miami-Dade specs 155 mph, since there isn't a significant market for slightly less than Miami-Dade. Wind codes are tightly enforced beachside. On the mainland wind specs are lower and I don't know if the county and cities pay as much attention to them.

You need to ask each place you are considering whether they meet current wind code or not and if so how they prep for hurricanes. Beachside high rises favor hurricane shutters, we have PGT impact resistant windows. I believe you can meet requirements by putting 5/8" plywood over openings. We did that for Irma and it felt like being in a cave so we bought impact resistant windows. ( Our old windows were 25 year old single pane and survived Mathew without coverings.)

On the mainland you are more likely to find apartments which predate wind codes and are not up to current codes. Beachside about the only time you would run into this situation is with a mom and pop owned building. Beachside there are rules about blocking light that can be seen by nesting turtles on the beach and the salt wear and tear on building means condos and apartments beachside probably do more regular maintenance and have stricter codes to deal with.

Hurricanes can hit anywhere so being on the mainland isn't necessarily safer. On the mainland you have flooding and fallen trees to deal with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida