Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 11:07 AM

2,271 posts, read 7,355,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan west View Post
I don't kow. I live in Florida and made the suggestion because Florida is full. Maybe Austin has more room and needs more people. You look like you can speak for your city..Austin Traveler.
Austin is now the 11th largest city in the United States. It's full too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2018, 11:26 AM

17,650 posts, read 15,827,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtloucks View Post
Dont move to FL. We made this horrid mistake... Tampa is a total snooze fest. I wont go on because iM sure to offend many people. But let just say it was the worst decision we made by far
Where in Tampa do you live? Land o Lakes? Wesley Chapel?

Old 07-03-2018, 12:08 PM

330 posts, read 251,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
It already has a significant PR population, and they likely have family/friends here already.

Then why still living in FEMA hotels after almost a year?

The use of Spanish here is very prominent.

Going somewhere where they have to learn English to survive might help improve them, instead of staying in a Spanish bubble.

It makes the most sense. The only other realistic option would be NYC.

You are joking right? You think there are only two places in the US they could go.

And what are these "better jobs" that other states will offer them that aren't available here?

We were assured back when Maria happened that the ones coming here would all be highly educated and skilled. Orlando is not the only place in the country with jobs for the highly educated.

My reply in bold.

Last edited by Branal; 07-03-2018 at 12:18 PM..

Old 07-03-2018, 07:42 PM

488 posts, read 658,652 times
I can give you two out of three in the Ocala area. We have diversity, everything from backwoods redneck living hand to mouth in the Forest to multi-millionaires (including John Travolta) and a billionaire or two, and there are jobs here. I assume management is management. We have several distribution centers here (FedEx, Chewy, AutoZone among others) that are crying for help. Plus the fire chief just quit last week and they're looking to hire another one, don't know how much experience one needs for that nor do I have a clue what it pays. There are two major hospitals here which both have branches throughout the county and one is building yet another branch. Twenty-eight percent of the population of about 368,000 is over the age of 65 and there will always be medical jobs.

However, the school situation, unless you go with private schools, is dismal. https://www.marionschools.net/domain/177

$350K will get you a pretty nice house on a good-sized lot. Marion County is slightly larger than the whole state of Rhode Island, so there's a lot to pick from.

Ocala is in the center of the state so we don't normally get the hurricane damage like the coast does, although I lost 5 huge trees to Irma and was out of power for 5 days. There's a small beach within an hour or so on the Gulf coast and Daytona is about an hour and a half on the Atlantic coast.

I will tell you that if you think living in Orlando means you go see the Mouse every weekend, you're sadly mistaken. In the course of day-to-day living, you won't have time to go to Disney and, in fact, finding time to go to the beach will be difficult. Everybody moves here thinking it's all sand and sunshine and that just isn't the case. Life has a habit of getting in the way of the fun.

Old 07-05-2018, 08:28 PM

11,669 posts, read 18,041,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaHappy View Post
I can give you two out of three in the Ocala area. We have diversity, everything from backwoods redneck living hand to mouth in the Forest to multi-millionaires (including John Travolta) and a billionaire or two, and there are jobs here. I assume management is management. We have several distribution centers here (FedEx, Chewy, AutoZone among others) that are crying for help. Plus the fire chief just quit last week and they're looking to hire another one, don't know how much experience one needs for that nor do I have a clue what it pays. There are two major hospitals here which both have branches throughout the county and one is building yet another branch. Twenty-eight percent of the population of about 368,000 is over the age of 65 and there will always be medical jobs.

However, the school situation, unless you go with private schools, is dismal. https://www.marionschools.net/domain/177

$350K will get you a pretty nice house on a good-sized lot. Marion County is slightly larger than the whole state of Rhode Island, so there's a lot to pick from.

Ocala is in the center of the state so we don't normally get the hurricane damage like the coast does, although I lost 5 huge trees to Irma and was out of power for 5 days. There's a small beach within an hour or so on the Gulf coast and Daytona is about an hour and a half on the Atlantic coast.

I will tell you that if you think living in Orlando means you go see the Mouse every weekend, you're sadly mistaken. In the course of day-to-day living, you won't have time to go to Disney and, in fact, finding time to go to the beach will be difficult. Everybody moves here thinking it's all sand and sunshine and that just isn't the case. Life has a habit of getting in the way of the fun.
I thought you were kidding when you said that Marion County is bigger than RI. Then I looked it up and you were right. Lmaooo! In fact, there are six FL counties that are bigger than RI:

Palm Beach
Collier
Polk
Osceola
Marion
Miami-Dade

Old 07-06-2018, 07:55 AM

350 posts, read 335,367 times
We love Tampa for many reasons. Starting our 11th year here, we moved from a small town in southern Indiana so our backgrounds are quite different. Your housing budget could purchase a nice home in a nice, safe neighborhood. With Tampa being somewhat in the middle of the state, you are able to visit desirable areas for mini-vacations, etc. My husband and I are teachers. I teach in a higher middle income area and my husband teaches in a lower middle income area. There are A rated schools and F rated schools. The ratings are not hidden so you are able to decide which area you would want to start to find a home.

I would agree with the other posters to find employment first. The commute times can be CRAZY!!

Best wishes on your move!!!

Old 07-06-2018, 08:17 AM

19,336 posts, read 17,281,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaHappy View Post
Good Point! Living in Florida is not the same as vacationing in Florida...

Old 07-07-2018, 12:08 AM

9,567 posts, read 5,672,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Branal View Post
My reply in bold.
We were assured back when Maria happened that the ones coming here would all be highly educated and skilled. Orlando is not the only place in the country with jobs for the highly educated.

Who "assured" you of that?

I didn't know American citizens were subject to a economic & education litmus test to move around the country.

Old 07-07-2018, 05:18 AM

5,043 posts, read 7,512,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
I didn't know American citizens were subject to a economic & education litmus test to move around the country.
Great post

Old 07-08-2018, 02:31 PM

699 posts, read 2,229,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCPJP View Post
.Where in FL should we move to? We would like to stay in any of the following areas: Orlando, Tampa, West Palm, and Ft. Lauderdale.
I have lived in Tampa Bay and in all 3 counties in SFL.

I think you and your wife will like the Orlando area.

Plenty of work, living options, not in hurricane evac zones, safe areas with decent schools, and proximal to kid-friendly stuff and the beaches (both gulf/atlantic).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida