Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 06:52 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
The idea of Florida swampland is no myth.
I never said it was. I've read about the swampland being sold.
Maybe the joke was on the person who fell for it. As I said before, Florida history is long and checkered.

Quote:
I also said that the panhandle is much different then south Florida which is what people think of when referring to Florida, i.e., the southern coast line. Although still within the boundaries of Florida, north and north west Florida is a world away form south Florida in many respects.
I didn't see this; did you post this in another thread?
Maybe folks *do* think of South Florida when referring to Florida, and perhaps that needs to be corrected.
Anyway, yes the panhandle is indeed different, however it is certainly part and parcel of Florida. Making a statement such as "if you drive it, it isn't a very pretty state" might fit for south Florida, but it won't wash up here.
The drive between here and Tallahassee is beautiful, green and lush.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2006, 07:14 AM

1,683 posts, read 8,211,667 times
While I certainly would NEVER compare the beauty of Florida to the majestic peaks of Colorado - it's alot easier to live without shoveling snow!!!

Everything is a give and take. There are beautiful parts of Florida - the rolling hills of Clermont and Ocala (horse country)...the dense forests of northwest Florida and of course the beaches. Anyone who doesn't think the Keys are beautiful must have sight issues....not to mention Sanibel, Captiva Island and Sarasota. I guess people spend thousands of dollars every year to visit this place because it's so ugly!

Back to the original question..what is the Florida atmosphere? I think of beaches, island paradises, snorkling in the Dry Tortugas, hiking in the state parks, camping on the beaches (did you know there are several state parks where you can camp right on the beach?) Tubing the ice cold Florida springs on a hot day or just swimming in my pool year round.

If the mood hits, I can entertain myself at the premier entertainments outlets of the world...Disney, Pleasure Island, City Walk, Universal, Sea World, etc. I can't make it around to all the different restaurants there are to try.

Then I have great neighbors, a loving church family and many friends. I am blessed with friends that would help me with anything I ever needed. My son has friends that have been close since they were babies in the church nursery. They still are together all the time even though now they have become young men and are beginning to graduate from college, start careers and get married. Our home is their home and vice versa. I think of them as I would my own son. And yet, they are not closed to new people, two young men just moved here and they have been "adopted" and are now here as much as the others. In other words, we have put down deep roots. It takes time to develop this, people moving into an area and expecting this overnight or even in a couple of years, may be disappointed.

Florida is not New York, Colorado etc. It is what is. Its beauty is different but that doesn't make it any less. It's OK, if you don't appreciate Florida's kind of beauty...please find what you love. Life is too short to be as miserable as some on this board must be.

Old 12-18-2006, 07:55 AM

1,247 posts, read 926,558 times
When the snowbirds are around, the Florida atmosphere is traffic. You're trying to drive home from work, a drive which only took 15 minutes all summer long. But now that all the retirees are here, it will take 30-45 minutes. Why do they drive during rush hour? Just to frustrate me?

Old 12-18-2006, 08:56 AM

627 posts, read 2,849,612 times
To our family, the Florida Atmosphere is nothing short of People, True Floridians selling Pecans and Fruit at a road-side hut or those great old road-side zoos with the “Live Gator” from when we were growing up… NOT shopping malls, oh heavens NO! That is the kind of thing that is Uglying-Up Florida. (I know Uglying is not a word, but it fits)

What about running through the orange grove that was converted to a camp ground or trailer park during the 40’s or 50’s, you know the kind where only a few trees where ever removed to park a trailer home in a spot!

Those small grocery stores and pharmacies in town where the clerks new your name.

Walking down dirt “SAND” roads and taking your flip flops off to feel the hot sand on your feet.

Playing in the creek under an oak with the stag moss swaying in the breeze or trying to snag a fish on a line!

Those great old roadside Motels that you seen on post card that read things like: “Wish you were here!” “Our Trip to Silver Springs” or “The Royal Palm Motel”

Huge Palm trees in front of well cared for Victorian homes in the center of many small towns.

Boardwalks that are lined with shops only steps away from white sand beaches and aquamarine waters.

Cuban Sandwiches and an ice cold Soda (or Beer)!

Cattle grazing in fields with small white cranes along side each cow or Beefalow.

Turtles slowly crossing the street (that is, with out being run over by careless drivers who are going to fast to stop and wait).

I could go on and on!

Old 12-18-2006, 10:26 AM

Location: Orlando, FL - used to be nice, a dump now. Anyone speak English down here???
340 posts, read 432,795 times
Although the overall atmosphere of Florida is much touristy. It is all about out-of-towners who want to be wild, have fun, drink and drive during Spring Break, and etc.

Overall, the folks have been quite tense. People are edgy on the streets, you ask for information or directions and people will likely try to run off. Lots of violent crime is taking a toll on the quality of life in Central and South Florida. Northern FL is still quite safe and affordable.

It is very crowded, expect to feel like you are in Los Angeles for most part. Cost of living is very high, wages are low. So people tend to be stressed.

Traffic doesn't help the quality of life to improve (see the "for those who don't think traffic is a major porblem in FL" thread). Interstate 4 (I-4) is a hugh parking lot. Nothing moves during the day... usually traffic starts to diminish around 9pm on any given day. Traffic picks back up downtown around 2AM when drinking time is over - be careful lots of drunk drivers on the road at 2am.

Weekends have traffic just like any weekday, it is always rush hour in Orlando. Road rage is common and you have to be very careful not to respond to threats/cussing at/fingers. People get violent very quickly. Don't expect anyone else to call the cops, as no one wants to get involved, so no one calls the cops. This is the same if they see you being a victim of crime.

If you are expecting happy Disney characters running the streets, or laid back beach folk, or smiling kids, or relaxed folks.... you are in for a big disappointment. It is not like that anymore.... believe me, 11 years here, I'd know better.

Old 12-18-2006, 10:58 AM

1,271 posts, read 2,593,769 times
Atmosphere or Lifestyle, to me where I live in South Florida it's about the weather, beaches, fauna, animals and the weather did I say that again? To most people, they come here for the weather and the lifestyle that's associated with it. Albeit I live in a large metro area with tons of shops, restaurants and malls the cultural aspect is nice, some historic sites but often overkill of the same contrived thing, not real seems made up. When I say that I mean the "newness" of it all. Not as bad as Vegas but you get the point.

The food, I find where I live to have a good selection of ethnic foods and restaurants. I'm not talking about the chains but mom and pop places that are very unique and hard to find.

South Florida is very different from the rest of the state, I've been elsewhere in the state and I find things elsewhere to be just as good if more of the real Florida.

Old 12-18-2006, 12:37 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Check out this mom and pop place. To me, the Indian Pass Raw Bar has everything to do with casual downhome Florida atmosphere,Panhandle style.
The bar is on the honor system and the oysters were harvested that same day. Hurricane Dennis did a job on this place, but they came back better than ever.

Moderator cut: link cut

Old 12-18-2006, 01:02 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
While I certainly would NEVER compare the beauty of Florida to the majestic peaks of Colorado - it's alot easier to live without shoveling snow!!! UNQUOTE

Piano, I hear you there. You guys have gotten slammed this year. Unfortunately, some of that white stuff is heading our direction. (SD) I agree with you 100%. The Fla. countryside isn't quite a match either for the Badlands and Black Hills area, but those beautiful palm trees, beaches, and warm weather will be enough to keep me happy. You won't hear me whining about how good it was "back home". All I have to do is remember the below zero temps, those strong winds, and all the snow.

Old 12-18-2006, 02:27 PM

4,895 posts, read 14,140,308 times
I didn't think we had any atmosphere left?

LOL.....gee.....atmosphere used to be seafoam green and peach furniture!

Now we've gone back to our "up north antique" look....

I think you get the atmosphere with the red and blue nights on weekends!

Old 12-18-2006, 07:16 PM

56 posts, read 356,437 times
Part of the "atmosphere" for me has got to be the casual, comfortable dress code!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida