Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 08:03 PM

4 posts, read 35,607 times

Advertisements

We have three kids under the age of 7, my husband is an elementary teacher. Where is the best place to live in Florida. Houses around 190,000,low crime, best schools, east coast vs. west coast. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!: Oh and of course a short drive to the beach......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2006, 08:41 PM

393 posts, read 1,736,160 times
Wink Welcome!!

What you are asking for is a tall order for Florida. You can have some of those wishes, but good luck finding all of them in one place. Low prices yes, but low crime also, I doubt it. Usually the lower priced areas are also the areas that sometimes are not maybe considered the best areas to live, especially w/young kids. Short drive to the beach, depends on your definition of short. Usually the closer to the beach, the pricier. As in mininimum of 1/2 mil and up. I'm west coast, never lived east side, but more population on east side.West coast prices have risen dramatically over past 3 years. Nice houses 3 years ago cost maybe 125,000, the same houses now are close to 250,000. And those are older, smaller houses. I love Florida, don't get me wrong, but you really need to research more before you jump. There are areas that might be good for you, but they are more inland. Just research more, and narrow your choices down a bit, then ask around. I'm in Sarasota and can tell you about this coast between Tampa and Naples. If you need more info about this area, I'd be glad to tell you what you want to know. But it's not what I would call cheap here. Ahh, the price of sunshine!!!

Old 05-04-2006, 06:07 AM

Thanks!!! I have three areas in mind. I used to live in Safety Harbor but it has been ten years ago. I liked it there alot and I had a friend in Largo and that seemed like a good area. Next is North Port Ive stayed in Englewood and that is close to the small town feel we have here but under 1/2 hour drive to the beach. I was born in Ft. Lauderdale and lived there on and off for the winter but that was also along time ago... I have friends from there that moved to St. Augustine area so that is my third choice at this time. We would like to avoid the crazy everyday traffic if possible, and if we want to deal with it be about 20 min. to 30 minutes away. We currently live 1hour from Toledo and three hours from Chicago and we make the Toledo trip once a week with no problems.Oh my husband wanted me to throw in that he is a runner and would love to be less than ten miles from a beach if possible. Where have you lived and whats your favorite area? Thanks!!!

Old 05-04-2006, 12:43 PM

Wink Another sunny florida day !!!!

I must say it's good to talk to a fellow midwesterner. Original south side Chicagoan, then 26 years southern illinois after marriage and raising two kids. Now that's a nice area, and is still cheap, but....it's not florida. It was a nice safe, friendly, low crime place, and I'm glad to have brought the kids up in that environment, but, they're in their 20's now and have flown the coop. Less cold there than the windy city by quite a bit, but still has some winter freezes. Anyway, you're asking about Florida and not so. illinois. ok, can't tell you anything about safety harbor, but all around the Tampa area is so grown up and out and traffic, and all the things these nyc types are trying to get away from, is now created there. High housing, taxes, crime. Some pockets of nice areas, but too busy, busy for me. North Port is definitely cheaper, but...it's also grown up so fast that the city has not caught up. Not enough classrooms for kids, not enough parks, not enough everything. It was a sleepy little town for so many years, and now it's still the same town, but just many, many more people. Low crime, lower housing $, but not all that much difference anymore. Most folks work somewhere else and commute, and most work up here in Sarasota and really, it's about a 45 minute drive into the city, staying at the actual speed limit, which few do here. Englewood is mostly old people. It's not what I would call country, but it is slower. The houses are still piled ontop of each other. Land, space and water are the premium commodities here. Venice might be a good choice for you. Near the water, friendly (not wishing to offend, but when I say older,ie:Englewood, I really mean crabbier, old folks here do not want to live around kids) decent schools, and lots more for the family there. And absolutely great beaches!!! I mean that. Venice was our second choice after Sarasota, but we got in just before the big price increases, so ended up here. We do go to the Venice beaches sometimes, and love to go to the jetties and watch the macho men gun their boats!!! Your husband can definitely jog to the beach in Venice. Well, sorry to be so long winded, but as you can tell, I'm not one of the ones who complain about sunny, sunny FL. You can't move anywhere and expect it to be "like home". It's not, it's somewhere else. Get over it or move back, I say. I think the diversity of people and the fact that here you're not an outsider, because everyone else is too, makes it much, much easier than moving somewhere rural where everyone knows everyone and you will never be accepted, and will always be the outsider. Anyway, very long winded here, sorry. Hope any of this helps.

Old 05-05-2006, 12:11 AM

58 posts, read 451,938 times
Default check the details

We are (were) also considering a move to Florida from Europe - Americans here 10 years, wanted so badly to get back near family. Originally from up north, wanting nice weather... Parents are in Naples and have the money for it, but we don't. Looked at Sarasota county and Northport in particular, but after being on this website for the better part of 2 months, the costs are scaring us away. From what I understand, just because you can afford it today, doesn't mean you can a year from now - taxes and homeowner's insurance are skyrocketing - lots of people complaining of 30-40% increases, and hurricane seasons are supposed to be bad for another 20 years. Flood insurance is driving taxes up - I question if it will all be worth it - I certainly don't want to get all settled only to decide in a year or 2 that we can't afford what it's becoming. Anyone agree - all that to say, do your homework and ask 1000 questions, especially if you want to be close to the beach. Of course, if you're money bags, then go for it and enjoy it for us.

And then it seems any place with decent schools of course has higher taxes ($2500+) and traffic. Again, if you can handle that, then you're the one. I'm also looking for diversity and that is what scares me about Va. - whether or not I can fit in being an outsider...

All the best in your hunt!

Old 05-05-2006, 07:48 AM

Default to move or not to move...

I really appreciate the input. We have a school levy that did not pass here, so our moving soon is quite possible. Venice is an option and if anyone knows of a nice place to stay for our family we will come in the next couple of months to check out the area. How are the Venice schools? Thanks again!!

Old 05-05-2006, 04:56 PM

5 posts, read 34,640 times
Default Central to North Fl is best for you

I'm an Ohio native currently living in Miami, FL.
I am actually trying to relocate to Central or North Florida.
I have to suggest a school teacher would live better on his salary in areas north of Palm Beach County - try anything North of Orlando.
In Dade and Broward, $200,000 will not buy you a small apartment or starter home. You'll be ready to pack it up and run back to Ohio after one ugly hurricane event, huddling in a closet with those kids. (Hurricane Wilma was the last straw for me. No electric for 3 weeks!)

Coastal areas are going to be too expensive housing-wise, but you can be 30 or 40 minutes from the beach and live comfortably.
If he needs to take another degree - PhD or MA - stick near Gainesville or Tampa for proximity to universities he can return to school at and up his earning potential.
Many counties are offering bonuses to new teachers because of need and because housing is so high. Tell him to research that. If he's trained in a special need - reading, math, or special ed - he can pretty much pick any county in the state, and they'd be thrilled to have him. There is a severe needs for those specializations.

Old 05-05-2006, 05:28 PM

1 posts, read 10,647 times
I have lived in the Sarasota area my entire life so far.
Venice is a nice quiet area with a older town feel. The High Schools are very good. You could probably find a house around 200k in certain areas, but with 7 kids....You may need something large. Which means you will have to pay. The prices of houses are falling little by little due to less demand, but not enough to keep me from moving my family out of here and up to Tennessee. I 'realistically' cannot afford a decent house in Sarasota. I should have purchased a house 3 years ago.

That is something to think about while considering a move to this area. If you got the money, this place is great. If you are middle class trying to work your way up (especially with a family), whether it be school, jobs, ect., this area may be out of limits.

Old 05-06-2006, 08:09 AM

4 posts, read 20,481 times
Smile Moving to Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgericke
We have three kids under the age of 7, my husband is an elementary teacher. Where is the best place to live in Florida. Houses around 190,000,low crime, best schools, east coast vs. west coast. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!: Oh and of course a short drive to the beach......
I am a Florida native as is my husband. I don't know a lot of places that you can get a larger single family home for 190,000. As far as the crime, typically the closer you get to the beach, the greater the risk, for most areas. Even if you move out further west, with all the EAST/WEST corridors, it does not take very long to get to the beach. I was born in Miami, moved to FT Lauderdale in middle school and now live with my husband in West Palm Beach. We moved up here because the schools are rated better in West Palm Beach and because the area was less populated. I live in a community called The Acreage, where all homes are different, on 1-2 acre lots and no Homeowner's ASSOCIATION. Although the prices are quite high out here you have to consider all that you get for the money. There are deals to be had out here. I have seen 3/2 homes on 1 1/4 acre lots for 299,000 and they have been for sale for quite a while. The schools out in The Acreage are all a-rated and most are very new schools.

Old 05-06-2006, 02:52 PM

Wink 23 years of So. Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenzo
SUNSHINE GIRL where in southern il did u live
Carbondale X 3 years, Jonesboro X 20 years, and you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida