Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2019, 05:41 PM

333 posts, read 240,176 times

Advertisements

Potentially there could be an Exodus if there is ever any instability in the economy. Florida's economy is relatively weak and rooted almost entirely in real estate. If anything happened weakening is position in that. Then sure.

The last couple of generations are the ones fueling economic growth in most revitalizating cities. Kind of weird to call them out. Florida could do with more educated young people actually. Also weird to call them out since Florida tends to get a higher than average growth rate among boomers compared to almost all other states. Every generation thinks every other is lazy and entitled even though we all are to an extent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2019, 05:47 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kombuchaluchador View Post
Potentially there could be an Exodus if there is ever any instability in the economy. Florida's economy is relatively weak and rooted almost entirely in real estate. If anything happened weakening is position in that. Then sure.

The last couple of generations are the ones fueling economic growth in most revitalizating cities. Kind of weird to call them out. Florida could do with more educated young people actually. Also weird to call them out since Florida tends to get a higher than average growth rate among boomers compared to almost all other states. Every generation thinks every other is lazy and entitled even though we all are to an extent.
Where would they go????

Old 03-27-2019, 08:27 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,282,844 times
There's way too much of a "I got mine eff you" mentality here.
That needs to stop.

Old 03-28-2019, 12:05 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,963,110 times
Everyone I know left Florida. I know no one moving there for the first time (or back again). Cost of living, high insurance, high rate of retirees (at least where we were in SWFL), lack of season changes and some other reason are imo the reason a lot of the younger people leavet. Both of my parents left after retiring also. We left nearly 2 years ago after 34 years in Naples. We went back once to visit for a wedding and left early. Its become a crap show of traffic, red tide, old people going 20 in a 45 and endless lots of strip mall after strip mall.

Old 03-28-2019, 12:46 PM

4,479 posts, read 3,849,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Everyone I know left Florida. I know no one moving there for the first time (or back again). Cost of living, high insurance, high rate of retirees (at least where we were in SWFL), lack of season changes and some other reason are imo the reason a lot of the younger people leavet. Both of my parents left after retiring also. We left nearly 2 years ago after 34 years in Naples. We went back once to visit for a wedding and left early. Its become a crap show of traffic, red tide, old people going 20 in a 45 and endless lots of strip mall after strip mall.

Yes, but when the temperatures drop in November, everyone wants to be first in line to book their ticket to the crap show.

That's the God's honest truth.

People love to bash Florida (for good reason). But most (not all, but most) of the same people bashing Florida can't stay away, not November through April anyway.

I know plenty of people who have bashed Florida all the way into relocations to you name it state: North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Georgia, Arizona, Vegas, etc.

Most of them move back to Florida if they can afford it.
And most of the ones who don't move back whine all winter about "not seeing the sun" and/or being cold. And book extended vacations in Florida while they plan their move back. Or buy winter homes in Florida. And then whine some more about having to go back to 42 degree rain. I work from home in Tampa and I have to talk to my colleagues every day all over the country and I dread when winter comes. Because all they want to do is spend the first 10 minutes of every conference call complaining about the cold weather wherever they are, and expressing envy about my weather in Tampa.

There are (more than) a few people who have left Florida, and stay away. You would be one of them. I see there's 42 degree rain in the North Carolina forecast this week. Pity.

When I retire out of Florida, I'm sure I will miss the sun and the warmth too.

Last edited by sinatras; 03-28-2019 at 12:55 PM..

Old 03-28-2019, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Yes, but when the temperatures drop in November, everyone wants to be first in line to book their ticket to the crap show.

That's the God's honest truth.

People love to bash Florida (for good reason). But most (not all, but most) of the same people bashing Florida can't stay away, not November through April anyway.

I know plenty of people who have bashed Florida all the way into relocations to you name it state: North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Georgia, Arizona, Vegas, etc.

Most of them move back to Florida if they can afford it.
And most of the ones who don't move back whine all winter about "not seeing the sun" and/or being cold. And book extended vacations in Florida while they plan their move back. Or buy winter homes in Florida. And then whine some more about having to go back to 42 degree rain. I work from home in Tampa and I have to talk to my colleagues every day all over the country and I dread when winter comes. Because all they want to do is spend the first 10 minutes of every conference call complaining about the cold weather wherever they are, and expressing envy about my weather in Tampa.

There are (more than) a few people who have left Florida, and stay away. You would be one of them. I see there's 42 degree rain in the North Carolina forecast this week. Pity.

When I retire out of Florida, I'm sure I will miss the sun and the warmth too.

We moved to NC and have had no desire to move back to Florida. Even on our coldest days we still look at each other and say "better than any Florida weather".. to each his own though, I have a gf who wishes it was hotter in Florida!! We made the mistake one time of going back but it was for a wedding. Couldn't haul butt back north fast enough. We're actually trying to get further north once my husband finishes his MBA I have my BA..about 10 months or so. Maybe less.

I love the chilly rainy days!!!! I put on my fireplace, bust out the hot tea and sit down with a good book. Unfortunately that 42 degree day is not us.. we are actually going to be 80 this weekend and upper 60's and 70's the next two weeks. My windows are wide open today and the song birds are singing!!

Last edited by Sweetbottoms; 03-28-2019 at 01:30 PM..

Old 03-28-2019, 01:26 PM

47 posts, read 61,551 times
If it’s in the making it’s a ways off. Tons and tons of people are still moving near me, and not many are leaving. I think more and more people are getting tired of the year round heat, I’ve noticed the past few years have been really bad, it was hot in December where you’re sweating, and got hot again in February. Sure there’s still some cool days but not many left. People like it in the winter though and a lot of northerners are still moving down. We’re probably nearing the peak as a lot of natives are getting real fed up with the northerners. They come down and either drive super slow or act like they own the roads and tailgate you. They act like they own the place and are pretty rude. That with the heat is starting to make a lot of people consider NC or GA, I’ve heard even of halfbacks who go from the North to Florida and then back to NC. It’ll be interesting to see what happens though.

Old 03-28-2019, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR101 View Post
If it’s in the making it’s a ways off. Tons and tons of people are still moving near me, and not many are leaving. I think more and more people are getting tired of the year round heat, I’ve noticed the past few years have been really bad, it was hot in December where you’re sweating, and got hot again in February. Sure there’s still some cool days but not many left. People like it in the winter though and a lot of northerners are still moving down. We’re probably nearing the peak as a lot of natives are getting real fed up with the northerners. They come down and either drive super slow or act like they own the roads and tailgate you. They act like they own the place and are pretty rude. That with the heat is starting to make a lot of people consider NC or GA, I’ve heard even of halfbacks who go from the North to Florida and then back to NC. It’ll be interesting to see what happens though.

When I was a kid we would get frost every year and I lived all the way down in Naples. The last cold winter I remember (before we left in 2017) was 2009.. Every other year we had the A/C on even on Christmas. Some years it was so hot trick or treating that people would had out ice pops to the poor kids who were red faced and miserable with make up just melting off their face..

Old 03-29-2019, 05:11 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Well, then GOOD - if what you are saying is correct we should start seeing a population reverse. There are plenty of states where it is cheaper to live, so if people can't make it here they should move to one of them. Start with Indiana, where my husband's family lives. Dirt cheap to buy even a large home there, and rents are very low. There will always be a huge demand for Florida (much like California) and this is what drives prices up. Florida is what it is. It is a retirement/vacation state first and foremost with some agriculture thrown in. It will never be any kind of manufacturing mecca, nor do most of us want it to be. I am a native and love the clean air, we have some of the best air in the country.
I agree whole-heartedly and perhaps many will finally find Florida isn't going to be the warm weather version of where they once lived....though I kind of doubt it given Americans in general aren't showing much in the intellect department the last few years.

Old 03-29-2019, 05:15 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Everyone I know left Florida. I know no one moving there for the first time (or back again). Cost of living, high insurance, high rate of retirees (at least where we were in SWFL), lack of season changes and some other reason are imo the reason a lot of the younger people leave. Both of my parents left after retiring also. We left nearly 2 years ago after 34 years in Naples. We went back once to visit for a wedding and left early. Its become a crap show of traffic, red tide, old people going 20 in a 45 and endless lots of strip mall after strip mall.
I have witnessed/experienced similarly. My high school in South Florida's recent reunion kind of verified my sense of that given I would say a solid 50% of the class no longer lives in the state and a good part of the remaining 50% wish they were among them. It's not the Florida we grew up in any longer, and hasn't been for quite some time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida