Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2021, 08:15 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,634,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
I think it's a regional and store type thing. I've grown up going to kroger and not all of them are nice. One I went to often in college we called the krogetto. But most I've been to the employees have been genuinely helpful. The one near us currently is super nice, it's basically the equivalent of a premium super target. Yes, the publix I've been to have consistently been well kept but the price premium (from my experience) just didn't weigh out. Idk.
That's the thing with Publix, it's not a "regional and store type thing." That's what makes it such a great grocery store. You are going to get great service and a clean, well stocked and presented store no matter which one you go to. One of my closest friends is a Publix store manager, I used to work for Publix as well. They absolutely do not mess around with their reputation for quality service and it starts from headquarters. If you are finding a certain Publix not up to par, report it. Believe me, it'll get fixed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2021, 08:28 AM

51 posts, read 63,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
That's the thing with Publix, it's not a "regional and store type thing." That's what makes it such a great grocery store. You are going to get great service and a clean, well stocked and presented store no matter which one you go to. One of my closest friends is a Publix store manager, I used to work for Publix as well. They absolutely do not mess around with their reputation for quality service and it starts from headquarters. If you are finding a certain Publix not up to par, report it. Believe me, it'll get fixed.

All in all, I don't know why people on here especially, tend to enjoy bad-mouthing Publix Supermarkets. It's really a bit strange. Then you have newcomer transplants that whine about "missing Wegmans" and others. Who cares?, FL is not the NE and Wegmans is tiny comparatively. If you "miss" and "that" why the hell are you now in FL bytchin and moanin? Don't relo here, stay put then. Why move 1600 miles away to a different part of the nation, with different people and culture then complain all the while? Go home and problem is solved.

Old 02-14-2021, 09:26 AM

653 posts, read 589,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bab_LeBeau View Post
All in all, I don't know why people on here especially, tend to enjoy bad-mouthing Publix Supermarkets. It's really a bit strange. Then you have newcomer transplants that whine about "missing Wegmans" and others. Who cares?, FL is not the NE and Wegmans is tiny comparatively. If you "miss" and "that" why the hell are you now in FL bytchin and moanin? Don't relo here, stay put then. Why move 1600 miles away to a different part of the nation, with different people and culture then complain all the while? Go home and problem is solved.
While living in south Florida in 70's & 80's; I heard the same thing, "that's not how it was done in New York" or "in Jersey we did it this way". Despite being a transplant myself and a kid to boot; I easily adapted. If you don't like it down there then the make a 180 degree turn and head back north. Better yet; shut up and start a business and do it the "New York" or "New Jersey" way. In the end; if your not part of the solution then YOU are part of the problem.

Old 02-14-2021, 02:49 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,749,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
Correct. The customer service and cleanliness is consistent across stores. However, the store itself can vary by neighborhood. That's not necessarily a bad thing. Why put an extensive fancy cheese and wine display in a neighborhood where those won't sell that much? If a transplant or tourist pops into the closest Publix to see what all of the hype is about, they may come up underwhelmed if they visit the "average" design Publix as opposed to their more extensive models.

In Orlando, if you walk into the SODO (South of Downtown Orlando) store, Dr. Phillips Marketplace, or Winter Park Village stores compared to the typical location here, you'd think you're dealing with two different companies. SODO is an older, yet very large store that was presumably a flagship when it opened while Dr. Phillips and Winter Park are the newer flagships that were built in response to Trader Joe's and Whole Foods opening in those neighborhoods. SODO has a mall-style Chinese restaurant station, sushi and made to order Asian bowls (Japanese?) station, the usual subs and American/Latin hot food, chef's case, salad bar, olive bar, large grab and go prepared foods wall refrigerator thing, bulk foods section, larger than usual nutritional supplements section, large seafood counter and meat counter, extensive cheese and wine, liquor, event planning station, and dining room. The other two have that sans the salad but a small hot bar that rotates cuisines each day, and they have the coffee station. In one store is it a Publix cafe with an ice cream bar and pastries. The other has Starbucks.

Sometimes, I'll go a little out of my way to shop at these stores for the "experience," though the reality is that they may carry only 2-3 of my regular items that the closest store doesn't haha.

If that was the baseline for most Publix stores, perhaps the complaints from transplants wouldn't be as loud? However, I do wonder if the Wegmans that I see in a photo search, which are typically newer, massive, bricked-up Taj Mahal type buildings are representative of the older stores closer to its home base in upstate New York.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick In Madison View Post
While living in south Florida in 70's & 80's; I heard the same thing, "that's not how it was done in New York" or "in Jersey we did it this way". Despite being a transplant myself and a kid to boot; I easily adapted. If you don't like it down there then the make a 180 degree turn and head back north. Better yet; shut up and start a business and do it the "New York" or "New Jersey" way. In the end; if your not part of the solution then YOU are part of the problem.
It may be strange, but now, it's a nice break from COVID talk. :-)

We may be getting our wish with "just open restaurants of NY quality here", at least in SE Florida as restauranteurs jump ship from NY and open eateries there. We already have enough restaurants advertising "NY Style Pizza" or "NY Style Chinese."

Old 02-14-2021, 04:31 PM

3,437 posts, read 2,409,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
Correct. The customer service and cleanliness is consistent across stores. However, the store itself can vary by neighborhood. That's not necessarily a bad thing. Why put an extensive fancy cheese and wine display in a neighborhood where those won't sell that much? If a transplant or tourist pops into the closest Publix to see what all of the hype is about, they may come up underwhelmed if they visit the "average" design Publix as opposed to their more extensive models.

In Orlando, if you walk into the SODO (South of Downtown Orlando) store, Dr. Phillips Marketplace, or Winter Park Village stores compared to the typical location here, you'd think you're dealing with two different companies. SODO is an older, yet very large store that was presumably a flagship when it opened while Dr. Phillips and Winter Park are the newer flagships that were built in response to Trader Joe's and Whole Foods opening in those neighborhoods. SODO has a mall-style Chinese restaurant station, sushi and made to order Asian bowls (Japanese?) station, the usual subs and American/Latin hot food, chef's case, salad bar, olive bar, large grab and go prepared foods wall refrigerator thing, bulk foods section, larger than usual nutritional supplements section, large seafood counter and meat counter, extensive cheese and wine, liquor, event planning station, and dining room. The other two have that sans the salad but a small hot bar that rotates cuisines each day, and they have the coffee station. In one store is it a Publix cafe with an ice cream bar and pastries. The other has Starbucks.

Sometimes, I'll go a little out of my way to shop at these stores for the "experience," though the reality is that they may carry only 2-3 of my regular items that the closest store doesn't haha.

If that was the baseline for most Publix stores, perhaps the complaints from transplants wouldn't be as loud? However, I do wonder if the Wegmans that I see in a photo search, which are typically newer, massive, bricked-up Taj Mahal type buildings are representative of the older stores closer to its home base in upstate New York.

It may be strange, but now, it's a nice break from COVID talk. :-)

We may be getting our wish with "just open restaurants of NY quality here", at least in SE Florida as restauranteurs jump ship from NY and open eateries there. We already have enough restaurants advertising "NY Style Pizza" or "NY Style Chinese."
I have yet to consume anything billed as "NY Style Pizza" that actually resembled NY Style pizza, in Florida. Heck I'd take a decent New Jersey style pizza. I'm partial to New Haven Pizza but even a Pizzeria Regino pizza from Boston would blow anything here out of the water. I don't know what NY Style Chinese is, but spam covered in hershey's syrup is better than any chinese food I've tried here in Florida.

Why don't I go back home? For the same reason I moved down here. Circumstances. Believe me, if circumstances were different, I never would have come south in the first place. But I'm here, and circumstances decree that this is where I'll be living throughout my retirement. I'm 60 years old, I've earned the right to complain about anything I danged well please.

Also, Publix makes great subs. And their organic food selections are excellent. They are overpriced, but definitely not overrated.

Old 02-14-2021, 04:37 PM

3,977 posts, read 8,174,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
I have yet to consume anything billed as "NY Style Pizza" that actually resembled NY Style pizza, in Florida. Heck I'd take a decent New Jersey style pizza. I'm partial to New Haven Pizza but even a Pizzeria Regino pizza from Boston would blow anything here out of the water. I don't know what NY Style Chinese is, but spam covered in hershey's syrup is better than any chinese food I've tried here in Florida.

Why don't I go back home? For the same reason I moved down here. Circumstances. Believe me, if circumstances were different, I never would have come south in the first place. But I'm here, and circumstances decree that this is where I'll be living throughout my retirement. I'm 60 years old, I've earned the right to complain about anything I danged well please.

Also, Publix makes great subs. And their organic food selections are excellent. They are overpriced, but definitely not overrated.
Have you tried Bazzarros Pizza on the beach in Indialantic? An Italian family owns it. You even get some shouting and rudeness like in a NY deli if you take too long to order and hold up the line. I get a kick out of watching the midwest tourists reaction.

Old 02-14-2021, 06:41 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,749,049 times
Quote:

I see the NY Style Chinese illuminated signs on some restaurants’ windows in Orlando. I don’t know what it means either. Haha.

Old 02-14-2021, 07:21 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
I see the NY Style Chinese illuminated signs on some restaurants’ windows in Orlando. I don’t know what it means either. Haha.
It's supposed to refer to a menu that doesn't look like the exact same across the board in 99% of the competition, because it's inaccurately seen as what we all want......General Tso's Chicken, Orange Chicken, Chow Mein, Egg Foo Yung etc.

Old 02-14-2021, 08:58 PM

422 posts, read 282,454 times
Quote:

Where is Wegman's located, New York? How does it differ from Publix?

Old 02-15-2021, 07:23 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,634,171 times
Quote:

Well that's on you. There is amazing pizza all over Florida and finding NY style pizza is as easy as walking to nearly any corner. Florida has some of the best pizza you'll find, period. You sure that you have actually had pizza in NY? I mean, it's fine and all but it's like anywhere else - some is really good, some not so much. There is nothing magical about making pizza in NY. In fact, one of the fastest growing pizza places in the NY area is a Florida export, Anthony's. So apparently the NE folks can't get enough of our Florida pizza.... (which is a NY style coal fired pizza).

And you can't find good Chinese either? Give me a break. Are you just a serial whiner? Seems like it. Just making things up and hating on Florida as usual I guess.

p.s. - As much as I like Publix overall, their subs are absolutely the most overrated food item in the entire state of Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida