Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2019, 06:38 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,945,661 times

Advertisements

This thread is depressing. Yes Orlando is super diverse. Yes that part of OC is rapidly becoming more Hispanic. Most of us have no issues with that and actually enjoy the change and thustly make great friends easily.

My advice would be to first toughen up and learn some Español, few key words and phrases would go a long way. Also realize the in migration from Hurricane María was from Puerto Rico and so it's technically domestic and not foreign.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2019, 08:30 AM

1,284 posts, read 3,896,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.enfp View Post
LOL, not paranoid...just want somewhere we can make friends and there's long term potential.

I think the frustration has stemmed from doing so much research, to find the best spot/area within Orlando that was close to the parks, and Windermere/Winter Garden area seemed to fit the bill. Would have considered Clermont if schools has been more appealing. But then we got to Windermere, looked around and were shocked that it was what people had described about other parts of Orlando.

I'd love to hear from someone who's lived in Windermere Area for awhile and seen it take a turn so quickly.

And by the way, I DID go off of Census data...look right here on the City-Data website:
//www.city-data.com/city/Windermere-Florida.html

It says 5% hispanic...that's why I say it's got to be 2010 numbers from the previous Census. I believe it has almost entirely flipped in the last decade. We just showed up late to the game, and were very surprised at how much we don't fit in. Like, we get looks from people like "what are you doing around here?"

Last thing I'll say though - low hispanic numbers was/is not our goal...it's just we weren't used to the variety/flavor of hispanic found here...where people don't even look like they care to learn english...that's a new one on me. If you compare that to the West Coast, the hispanic population is mostly Mexican. To their credit, most of them speak english. It's just impossible to make friends with people when you cannot communicate with them.

Should have zoomed out a bit and looked at the whole picture with Orlando I guess.
Okay two things you mention here you need to take note,first you mention making friends and long term potential,this area is probably as transient as it gets.We're 5 minutes from Disney and a lot of people want to move here but yeah it likely is not for life,they probably have deeper roots that takes them back or end up somewhere else when they find out living here is not for them.Second thing that 5% hispanic thing is flawed,you're probably looking at the town of Windermere demographics which is the small area running along main st towards Park ave and heading on 6th ave towards Conroy rd.Basically the much larger Horizons west area which also is part of Winter Garden is Orange county.My address is Windermere,fl but I'm not in the town of Windermere,you dont see Windermere cops where I live,its Orange county.Like I said much of this area is new so old numbers are worthless,but like I said its heavy diverse,asian neighbors,Russian neighbors,middle eastern,everything but theres plenty of whites coming from other areas and yes a lot of hispanics and Brazilians.

Old 05-03-2019, 08:40 AM
aax

710 posts, read 497,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
This thread is depressing. Yes Orlando is super diverse. Yes that part of OC is rapidly becoming more Hispanic. Most of us have no issues with that and actually enjoy the change and thustly make great friends easily.

My advice would be to first toughen up and learn some Español, few key words and phrases would go a long way. Also realize the in migration from Hurricane María was from Puerto Rico and so it's technically domestic and not foreign.
Well, a lot of people might think: Orlando had its own hurricane, Irma, which it is still recovering from. So why should it get dumped with these Maria refugees on top of this? They aren't Florida's problem.

Old 05-03-2019, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aax View Post
Well, a lot of people might think: Orlando had its own hurricane, Irma, which it is still recovering from. So why should it get dumped with these Maria refugees on top of this? They aren't Florida's problem.
If you read my two posts I mention that although Puerto Ricans are moving to this particular area the majority of hispanics and latins coming are coming from other countries like Brazil and Venezuela and areas like south Florida,even Texas and NY state.

Old 05-03-2019, 08:52 AM
aax

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom1001 View Post
If you read my two posts I mention that although Puerto Ricans are moving to this particular area the majority of hispanics and latins coming are coming from other countries like Brazil and Venezuela and areas like south Florida,even Texas and NY state.
Well that was not what I meant. I was talking about the Maria people. The people you are talking about have jobs or money they brought, they aren't here looking for handouts. I am not talking about them.

Old 05-03-2019, 09:16 AM

15 posts, read 21,179 times
Quote:
Okay I can speak about this because I live in exactly the area the OP is talking about and I'm hispanic and moved from Miami.What I would first say is that yeah this is a good area so what you get here are not poor Puerto Ricans fleeing from Maria.Its fairly well off to rich Brazilians,Venezuelans,Colombians and others moving from all of South Florida and yeah even some Puerto Ricans but at least in this area its not mostly Puerto Ricans,other parts of Orlando yes.People in other countries have money and this is a popular area with some of the highest growth in the state.
Yes, absolutely. It's very noticeable that the majority are quite well off, and HAD to be before settling in the area, because our area isn't cheap. This is one of the things I couldn't quite understand...if these people are from Hurricane Maria...how can they live in Horizon West?

It's truly a beautiful spot to live, and I think that people tend to cluster together with others like them, and everyone is more comfortable. This is one thing that people don't talk about when they mention diversity.

IF I moved to Japan, I'd instantly seek out where other white english speaking families live, and try to make live nearby and be a part of that community. There's nothing depressing about that...it's just human nature to want to be around other people like you. I'd never fault anyone for that.

For our situation here in Horizon West, we just realized that we are in the middle of one of those "bubbles", and would fit better in another bubble.

Hope that makes sense. Thanks for the insights.

Old 05-03-2019, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Okay two things you mention here you need to take note,first you mention making friends and long term potential,this area is probably as transient as it gets.We're 5 minutes from Disney and a lot of people want to move here but yeah it likely is not for life,they probably have deeper roots that takes them back or end up somewhere else when they find out living here is not for them.Second thing that 5% hispanic thing is flawed,you're probably looking at the town of Windermere demographics which is the small area running along main st towards Park ave and heading on 6th ave towards Conroy rd.Basically the much larger Horizons west area which also is part of Winter Garden is Orange county.My address is Windermere,fl but I'm not in the town of Windermere,you dont see Windermere cops where I live,its Orange county.Like I said much of this area is new so old numbers are worthless,but like I said its heavy diverse,asian neighbors,Russian neighbors,middle eastern,everything but theres plenty of whites coming from other areas and yes a lot of hispanics and Brazilians.
You make another great point about it being so transient. We do see plates from everywhere. It makes it hard to feel a sense of belonging, very good point.

Old 05-03-2019, 09:34 AM
aax

Quote:
You make another great point about it being so transient. We do see plates from everywhere. It makes it hard to feel a sense of belonging, very good point.
Horizon West is not a community.

Old 05-03-2019, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Yes, absolutely. It's very noticeable that the majority are quite well off, and HAD to be before settling in the area, because our area isn't cheap. This is one of the things I couldn't quite understand...if these people are from Hurricane Maria...how can they live in Horizon West?

It's truly a beautiful spot to live, and I think that people tend to cluster together with others like them, and everyone is more comfortable. This is one thing that people don't talk about when they mention diversity.

IF I moved to Japan, I'd instantly seek out where other white english speaking families live, and try to make live nearby and be a part of that community. There's nothing depressing about that...it's just human nature to want to be around other people like you. I'd never fault anyone for that.

For our situation here in Horizon West, we just realized that we are in the middle of one of those "bubbles", and would fit better in another bubble.

Hope that makes sense. Thanks for the insights.
With that said I still feel this area is very much mostly white Americans,take a drive to Miami and see the difference,its just that there are pockets in this area of latins moving in but overall even in 50 years this wont be as hispanic as Miami.Most of Miami however is going to be bilingual while these pockets of Venezuelans and Brazilians you see here are not yet comfortable speaking English,they will however have to learn though.All areas are different,in Tampa you have generations of Cubans that came even before Miami had a Cuban influx that have been in Tampa for like a hundred years,the kids and grandkids of those Cubans probably don't even speak spanish for as long as they've been here.

Old 05-03-2019, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aax View Post
Horizon West is not a community.
It's totally not. Very noticeable. Many people are stressed out and on edge. Just not a good vibe, overall. People planning their next move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida