Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2019, 02:03 PM

7 posts, read 7,638 times

Advertisements

My husband & I are late 40-something’s and thinking about a move to Florida. Our top priorities & wish list include:

> Safe neighborhood (most important)
> Single family home (1 or 2 story, no preference)
> 2bedroom/2bath (at least)
> A nice sized yard for our 2 labs (.25 acre or more)
> Trees
> Garage
> Within 1 hour to ocean (the closer the better)
> Backyard pool (community pool okay, but prefer backyard)
> Commute Time & Schools are not a concern. Husband is in tech & I have a small home business. We can work from home if needed, and we don’t have kids living at home.
> No preference for/against HOA but prefer neighborhood that looks like MOST residents own & care about the neighborhood & curb-appeal (even if some are renters).

We are active and nowhere near ready for a senior-living-type-neighborhood or anything overly boring. We love to go to outdoor events, music events, local restaurants, parks & walk/bike trails, art shows, farmers markets, quirky festivals, good people-watching hangouts, neighborhood parties, cookouts, etc. We prefer to live in an area that has good walkability scores but if that’s not affordable for our budget, being close enough to drive to is fine.

Our budget is “up to $250K” and our timeframe is flexible so if there are overpriced neighborhoods on the down-swing or up-and-coming (but low crime) neighborhoods worth watching over the next 6-12 months, please include them!

We are very interested in any suggestions or personal recommendations for neighborhoods and/or cities that we should look into (OR avoid)???

Thank you!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2019, 02:10 PM

7,800 posts, read 4,401,311 times
Trees???? Most Florida developers will go into an area and literally chop down nearly every tree because they want to pack as many homes into the tiniest postage stamp lots as they can.

Of course the good news is you may wind up living on a street called "Oak Street" where old oaks used to be and were axed down to make room for the house you may one day live in.

In my case, I was looking at a heavily forested lot and told the contracted to save as many trees as he could and I believe we managed to save nearly all.

Northern Florida has or rather had some amazing forests and trees. They are almost all gone.

New Subdivisions are the worst.

Old 05-27-2019, 02:38 PM

25,743 posts, read 12,824,670 times
North Port would be a general area I'd look at, but I cannot be any more specific than that.

Old 05-27-2019, 02:48 PM

17,206 posts, read 15,404,507 times
At that budget, your best bet would be to buy a plot of land somewhere and get a modular home installed on it. That way you can adjust home size/needs based on what you want within your price range.

My uncle had a 3,500sqft home installed on his property for $199,000. Your 2 bed 2 bath would be considerably smaller than what he has, so it would be a fraction of that cost. Just to give you an idea of costs.

Old 05-27-2019, 03:27 PM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
More established areas will have plenty of trees, unlike as pointed out new build communities where developers plow under all of the mature growth in favor of saplings that may start to offer some shade in about 3-5 years. For bang for the buck I think you might find Palm Coast a good option. Check out the SW side which is quieter/nicest in my opinion and has lots of trees.
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...t/12_zm/0_mmm/

Old 05-28-2019, 10:40 AM

390 posts, read 397,709 times
Some parts of Punta Gorda, SE Cape Coral, and Fort Myers would meet that criteria.

Old 05-28-2019, 12:39 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,636,107 times
This sounds like almost all of Florida.... These places exist everywhere. A 2/2 on a 1/4 acre for $250k or less. You can find this in almost any region of Florida.

Old 05-28-2019, 04:04 PM

7 posts, read 7,638 times
I just included house info to provide a better picture of us & what we’ll ultimately be looking for. I’m really hoping to get some ideas on which cities or neighborhoods to begin our search & which ones would be a good fit for what we’re looking for regarding energy-level, vibe, things to do, low crime, not too far from the ocean, etc. Most neighborhoods (and cities) are known for having certain characteristics or personality (quiet, boring, crazy, artsy, snobby, active outdoor lovers, laidback, college oriented, pet lovers, walkable, loud troublemakers, retirement community, industrial, family friendly, touristy, ....) Not that every neighborhood can only be one type, we’re just looking for suggestions on places that are lively, friendly, have outdoor events that bring the community together, not too quiet or boring but not 24/7 club-goers, known for low crime but affordable, kid friendly but majority is not mostly young families with young kids, mostly active adults that enjoy nature, the ocean, their pets, art, music, wine, hobbies, fitness, and that sort of thing.)

Old 05-28-2019, 08:12 PM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,142,805 times
Tallahassee is a strong bet

Old 05-29-2019, 09:16 AM

390 posts, read 397,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeze2019 View Post
Not that every neighborhood can only be one type, we’re just looking for suggestions on places that are lively, friendly, have outdoor events that bring the community together, not too quiet or boring but not 24/7 club-goers, known for low crime but affordable, kid friendly but majority is not mostly young families with young kids, mostly active adults that enjoy nature, the ocean, their pets, art, music, wine, hobbies, fitness, and that sort of thing.)
Based on this updated info, I'd recommend St. Pete, Gulfport, Punta Gorda, and parts of Tampa (Hyde Park, Downtown, Channel District, etc.). Very walkable areas to get out and do stuff but the problem is going to be the budget part but I suppose is doable in some cases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida