Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 03:42 PM

24 posts, read 137,502 times

Advertisements

My wife and I plan to relocate to Florida sometime in 2008. We have beening reading the forums on this site and are even more confused than when we started planning our relocation. We have 2 children 18 & 13 years old and we are in our late 30's. We are looking for a nice small community to move to. My wife started researching the Fort Meyers area. From what we read it seems the best town mentioned is Port Charlotte. We are from northern Jersey and we are not afraid of the natural disaster threat. Every year we deal with time stopping blizzards, winter thaw flooding and HHH August weather that I'm sure is just as bad as your summer months. I have read complaints about homeowners, hurricane and wind insurance from everyone on this site which pales in comparsion to Jersey's auto insurance, property tax
(we pay $7300 a year for a 75x150 lot with a 1200 sq/ft ranch on it), winter heating bills (which we pay in unison with a ever increasing electric bill). We hope that with the profits we make on the sale of our home, we can afford to by a home and start a small business. We are both in the medical field (not doctors) and have that to fall back on. Will someone please help us decide on a town in the Fort Meyers area with plenty of gulf access.

Old 12-19-2006, 04:29 PM

23 posts, read 89,970 times
Go! Don't pay attention to all these threads. We're looing to move also, hopefully in January. My 2nd interview is in January with a company in Boca. I'm looking at the Boca Raton area. Check out Deerfield and Delray. Those are also my options. Good luck. Go to google map and type in the town. It will show you all the sourround areas. We're looking some very nice homes, ~350K, ~2000sqft, not on the coast but close enough. I can't wait to see sunshine, tropical breeze, and the gulf stream is just a few miles offshore.

Old 12-19-2006, 05:46 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,088,670 times
If your gonna make the move, I suggest you rent for a year. Youll be supprised how hot Florida is comming from a cooler climate! Ive lived in Florida all my life and im still hot and its winter! Instead of heat occasionally in NJ, youll need a/c pratically 24/7 except on rare occasions where a cold front comes. Youll have hurricanes to deal with, ive been in a few. Property taxes and insurance is just as bad. We have floods too! Houses are not cheap in FL either! Youll be trading one problem for another. If you read every thread about FL, youll understand why so many are moving out!

Is there any other state youll consider like Texas or Georgia?

Old 12-19-2006, 06:01 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,195,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
If your gonna make the move, I suggest you rent for a year. Youll be supprised how hot Florida is comming from a cooler climate! Ive lived in Florida all my life and im still hot and its winter! Instead of heat occasionally in NJ, youll need a/c pratically 24/7 except on rare occasions where a cold front comes. Youll have hurricanes to deal with, ive been in a few. Property taxes and insurance is just as bad. We have floods too! Houses are not cheap in FL either! Youll be trading one problem for another. If you read every thread about FL, youll understand why so many are moving out!

Is there any other state youll consider like Texas or Georgia?
Just out of curiosity, when was the last Flood? Aside from low lying areas where that should have been filled before building in the first place or not have built there at all, I don't remember any floods. Even when those areas get flooded it's gone in a few hours.

Old 12-19-2006, 06:54 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,908,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
Just out of curiosity, when was the last Flood? Aside from low lying areas where that should have been filled before building in the first place or not have built there at all, I don't remember any floods. Even when those areas get flooded it's gone in a few hours.
Sheet flow floods alot of areas. South of Tampa is swamp and the ground is muck. Its just filled and built on. Sheet flow has changed in the last 20 years and flood areas that did not flood before.

Old 12-19-2006, 07:14 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,126,024 times
curt
this is one of the reasons I posted this on the general us forums

//www.city-data.com/forum/gener...nderstand.html

I lived in NJ for almost 10 years, I would of loved it if we had only occasional heat in the summer. We would have the a/c full blast along with fans

karla

Old 12-19-2006, 07:16 PM

467 posts, read 1,692,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myfask View Post
curt
this is one of the reasons I posted this on the general us forums

//www.city-data.com/forum/gener...nderstand.html

I lived in NJ for almost 10 years, I would of loved it if we had only occasional heat in the summer. We would have the a/c full blast along with fans

karla
he may be talking about having to use heat occassionally...either way,,,,he is misinformed.

Old 12-19-2006, 07:23 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,126,024 times
heck I remember winters in central NJ where it was so cold sitting in my car with a blanket waiting for it to warm up the amb temp on the car gauge was 7 degrees

Old 12-19-2006, 07:51 PM

44 posts, read 154,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norrisrose2 View Post
My wife and I plan to relocate to Florida sometime in 2008. We have beening reading the forums on this site and are even more confused than when we started planning our relocation. We have 2 children 18 & 13 years old and we are in our late 30's. We are looking for a nice small community to move to. My wife started researching the Fort Meyers area. From what we read it seems the best town mentioned is Port Charlotte. We are from northern Jersey and we are not afraid of the natural disaster threat. Every year we deal with time stopping blizzards, winter thaw flooding and HHH August weather that I'm sure is just as bad as your summer months. I have read complaints about homeowners, hurricane and wind insurance from everyone on this site which pales in comparsion to Jersey's auto insurance, property tax
(we pay $7300 a year for a 75x150 lot with a 1200 sq/ft ranch on it), winter heating bills (which we pay in unison with a ever increasing electric bill). We hope that with the profits we make on the sale of our home, we can afford to by a home and start a small business. We are both in the medical field (not doctors) and have that to fall back on. Will someone please help us decide on a town in the Fort Meyers area with plenty of gulf access.
If you want small town atmosphere, good schools and nice neighborhoods, check out North Port, we are just north of Port Charlotte and south of Sarasota. We like it, lots for kids to do with a skatepark and soon to be bmx park. Soccer, baseball, softball and football. New schools and room to roam. We also have the Estates area which are 3-5 acre lots. Very easy access to 75..

Old 12-19-2006, 08:14 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,088,670 times
I guess ive been misunderstood. I guess heat is a pun. The summers are warm but nothing like Florida. I have been to NJ before(summer camp) and there was no a/c and I would only sweat when doing sports and other activities. It got really cool at night and I was cold even with blanket. I remember the actual temperature being anywhere from 70 to 85 as a high and 50 to 60 as a low. If I moved to NJ today I could go without a/c as the heat is tolerable most of the time.

You might need heat in the winter for those days where a cold front brings temps below freezing. Right now temps are above freezing. I need a/c year round in south Florida, you need heating only during the winter and only when it drops below freezing.

Another point I want to make is Florida isnt a much better alternative to NJ. Yes it can flood and ive seen it with my own eyes. Ive also been thru hurricanes, trust me you dont want them! You might not be happy with Florida shortly after moving there. Look at all the people leaving!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida