Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 06:49 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
And Micanopy - about as Old Florida as it gets...
I got in trouble there. I pronounced it "My Can O Pee".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2019, 07:10 AM

467 posts, read 427,777 times
Quote:
In addition to Arcenal's suggestions, I would add Lake Wales, Auburndale, Bartow and Sebring. And the center of Florida overall has a much different feel from the coasts. Even the term "old Florida" can mean different things to different people. I love Lakeland and am actually planning to relocate back there, and that is one of the very reasons I want to do so. The city preserves all of its important old architecture, builds lots of parks, and there are many, many beautiful lakes there. The vegetation is a mix of "tropics meets the old south." It has a bit of a look that is "stuck back in time" (in a good way). Winter Haven is a junior version of Lakeland.
Lakeland sounds like a place I'd love to live in. I'm a big fan of older architecture, and the "tropics meets the old south" is the best of both worlds.

Old 06-20-2019, 09:00 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelTerritory View Post
Lakeland sounds like a place I'd love to live in. I'm a big fan of older architecture, and the "tropics meets the old south" is the best of both worlds.
Make a visit there some time. To me, it is a very underrated town. How can one not love a town whose nickname is "Swan City" (swan is the city mascot, they breed pairs for all over the country) There are swan and butterfly sculptures all over town. The garbage trucks have swans drawn on them! lol Lakeland invested millions to restore their small downtown years ago, and it is charming. Lakeland is also very heavily "treed", which is something that is important to me. And unlike most of Florida, has some rolling topography.

Anyway, it would take too long to describe all that I love about it - these are just a few of the things that my husband and I love.

Here is a link to google page with some nice photos:

https://www.google.com/search?q=down...w=1292&bih=665

Old 06-20-2019, 09:11 AM

17,184 posts, read 15,382,471 times
Quote:
Make a visit there some time. To me, it is a very underrated town. How can one not love a town whose nickname is "Swan City" (swan is the city mascot, they breed pairs for all over the country) There are swan and butterfly sculptures all over town. The garbage trucks have swans drawn on them! lol Lakeland invested millions to restore their small downtown years ago, and it is charming. Lakeland is also very heavily "treed", which is something that is important to me. And unlike most of Florida, has some rolling topography.

Anyway, it would take too long to describe all that I love about it - these are just a few of the things that my husband and I love.
I agree. Lakeland is a gorgeous place. My mom and sister used to live there, and my drives there on Sunday visits were the highlight or my week. They lived in Lakeland Highlands, which is South of Lakeland itself...

Old 06-20-2019, 12:46 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,419,564 times
Yep. Micanopy! I think the Phoenix family still has a big place there.

Old 06-20-2019, 07:08 PM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,141,935 times
Tallahassee

Old 06-21-2019, 04:50 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,142,117 times
Miami Beach has lots of Art Deco. Coral Gables has a unique Florida feel and was an early planned community. As long as you stay in pre-1970 neighborhoods, no matter what city you are in you will have a Florida feel. I suggest 1970 as a cutoff date as the mid-60's were when central AC became an option in houses.

All Florida cities are relatively new. Florida did not grow until the 1930's and trains could bring in folks from the east coast. So there are no old Florida cities.

Old 06-22-2019, 05:16 AM

9,364 posts, read 14,309,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredesch View Post
As long as you stay in pre-1970 neighborhoods, no matter what city you are in you will have a Florida feel. I suggest 1970 as a cutoff date as the mid-60's were when central AC became an option in houses.

... there are no old Florida cities.
As a previous poster mentioned, there is no strict, widely recognized definition of "Old Florida".

But I can relate to what you wrote above ... to me it means relatively small houses with crank windows that working class people could afford, surrounded by fruit trees and sand, no professional landscaping, and have survived many a hurricane over the decades.

Still plenty of those around.

Someone told me that the houses built in the 1950s-1970s are sturdier than those built in the 1980s-1990s.

Old 06-22-2019, 02:30 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,419,564 times
Sounds like my old neighborhood. As developers bought up nearby property code enforcement gradually got stricter ( had to make the neighborhood look like a landscaped northeastern suburb) and people who’d lived there for generations were pretty much harassed and forced out. So sad. It was paradise. We had 5 orange trees, 2 grapefruit trees, lychees, avocados, big oaks, all kinds dof native ground cover and plants. Oh I miss it. And we could walk to the beach.

Old 06-23-2019, 07:36 PM

13,619 posts, read 7,936,616 times
Not sure if any of the bigger cities have really maintained the Old Florida feel at all, though Tallahassee might come closest.

Palatka is what I think of. You have the river, moss-draped live oaks, and somewhat rustic downtown area. Don't forget Ravine Gardens State Park either, right in town.

As for coastal towns, Apalachicola and Fernandina Beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida