Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2019, 11:32 AM

814 posts, read 2,044,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLonelyGoatherd View Post
Enigma homeowners is extortion in Florida these days!

bigh110 wow 3 policies? I can't imagine what that costs! I remember someone my husband worked with said that he paid $800 a month for his house in Clearwater. It was a big house worth a couple of million. I thought maybe he was exaggerating but I guess not!

LKJ1988 going bare? Do you mean bare minimum coverage or bare as in just having no policy?

it's really looking like they are just not going to have coverage at all. Our main concern was a hurricane but with the state of the house, they can't get the wind driven rain coverage.
it was just under 650 month for all 3 policies for the windstorm policy limit was set at 121,000 not enough to rebuild. i did some research when i bought my home and i found out you only have to insure your house windstorm policy for the value of the mortgage. citizen windstorm was the highest it was $3980 a year for 121k in coverage for that one policy. my house is a 1967 modular home on a canal bought it in 2010 its about 40 inches off the ground. I put 47% down payment and the monthly mortgage payment including all taxes and insurance went from $911 in march 2010 to 1513 a month in March of 2016 due mostly to insurance increases. taxes increased about $450 over 9 years. best day ever when i paid the house off and canceled my windstorm and flood policies!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2019, 11:50 AM

3,218 posts, read 2,436,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLonelyGoatherd View Post
Thank you all for your help!

That is a good point about a house being a teardown. Theirs definitely would be. But what about personal belongings? Can you get a policy for just the inside of your house? Kind of like renter's insurance but for a homeowner? Maybe they can just insure their belongings?

It's been lapsed for a couple of years. They said they were getting other insurance but they never did. They get angry at us trying to intervene. But the thing is, if they lose their house, we are the only people who will be able to help them. So we do have a right to intervene in my opinion. We don't have near enough money to replace all of their things and find them a place to live. It would bankrupt us. What do people do with no insurance? I guess FEMA rebuilds the house? It's all very frustrating.
I am not so sure that a company would insure the contents if the outside isn't insured; however, how much it needs to be insured for is the question. I would recommend contacting a local insurance agent. You can do this over the phone and get a quote on cost. It may not be as bad as you think, especially if they don't live in a flood area. All you can do is to get them a quote and then let them decide to insure or not. If they choose no, then let them know you are limited in the ability to help them if something happens. You shouldn't have to replace all their things nor do a rebuild or repair. Sale of the property as a tear down afterwards should be able to go to replacing and finding somewhere to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida