Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 02:19 PM

396 posts, read 421,917 times

Advertisements

We are looking to get homeowner's insurance for my inlaws who are seniors. They had a policy for the past 30 years. They let it lapse. Then they told us they had a new policy. But they don't.

So we are now looking to get them a homeowner's insurance policy. I was told that Citizens would be the only place that can help them but the reviews are awful! People said they weren't paying out claims?

their house was built in the 1950s I believe. It's not in good shape to be honest. It is located in Tampa. Does anyone have any suggestions?

If we knew they were going to let the other policy lapse, we would have taken over payments for them. Now I'm afraid they are stuck in a house that can't be insured.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2019, 02:29 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,269,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLonelyGoatherd View Post
We are looking to get homeowner's insurance for my inlaws who are seniors. They had a policy for the past 30 years. They let it lapse. Then they told us they had a new policy. But they don't.

So we are now looking to get them a homeowner's insurance policy. I was told that Citizens would be the only place that can help them but the reviews are awful! People said they weren't paying out claims?

their house was built in the 1950s I believe. It's not in good shape to be honest. It is located in Tampa. Does anyone have any suggestions?

If we knew they were going to let the other policy lapse, we would have taken over payments for them. Now I'm afraid they are stuck in a house that can't be insured.
The best thing you can do is find yourself a recommended insurance agent. I once got quotes from 4 different agents--all for Citizens and all different premium amounts. Citizens is fine if you can get it--Rick Scott tried to have everyone dumped from Citizens a few years ago-was forcing homeowners into less desirable companies--I don't know if they are still taking new policies.

Just make sure to shop around--the estimates can be all over the place. Some companies charge whatever they can get.

https://www.reviews.com/homeowners-insurance/florida/

Last edited by Enigma777; 08-12-2019 at 03:06 PM..

Old 08-12-2019, 02:39 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,494,081 times
Citizen's isn't bad.

Old 08-12-2019, 03:06 PM

25,751 posts, read 12,832,402 times
I suggest using an Independent Insurance Broker who has access to 20+ insurance company's policy's.

Also, you need to ask explicity, and have it in writing that whatever policy yoy buy covers "wind driven rain".

In Florida, some companies do not cover it in theri standard policy, and only sell it as an add-on.

I was told by our local Insurance Broker that Olympus Insurance Company covers wind driven rain, so we went with them.

Old 08-12-2019, 04:05 PM

17,537 posts, read 39,147,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLonelyGoatherd View Post

That's a shame. It can be next to impossible to insure an old house that needs work - ask me how I know! You may have to bring some things up to date. Letting a policy lapse is the worst thing anyone could ever do.

Old 08-12-2019, 04:06 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,636,928 times
Why are you asking here? Call an insurance agent.

Old 08-12-2019, 04:36 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,143,939 times
We have Florida Peninsula and they were responsive and fair when we lost our roof in hurricane Matthew. An insurance broker can provide multiple options and let you know which is best for your situation.

Old 08-13-2019, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
Why are you asking here? Call an insurance agent.
I live in California and they live in Florida. I'm trying to find out information so I can give them. Insurance agents aren't always up front about things that aren't covered in policies. Look at all of the reviews from people regarding Citizen's insurance who thought they had coverage because that is what their agent told them. Only to find out that they weren't covered because of some loophole.
I like getting information from the public first. Then we can give my inlaws some knowledge for them to make the call.

Yes they never should have let that policy lapse. We didn't know they were going to do that. It's very frustrating dealing with parents, especially seniors sometimes.

Old 08-13-2019, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I suggest using an Independent Insurance Broker who has access to 20+ insurance company's policy's.

Also, you need to ask explicity, and have it in writing that whatever policy yoy buy covers "wind driven rain".

In Florida, some companies do not cover it in theri standard policy, and only sell it as an add-on.

I was told by our local Insurance Broker that Olympus Insurance Company covers wind driven rain, so we went with them.

Thank you. That's great info. I was just reading earlier the same thing about "wind driven rain". Our biggest concern is a hurricane which would fall under that category. This is why I want to ask people first. Because most people aren't going to think to ask for add ons when speaking to an agent. They think their policy covers any damage.

Old 08-13-2019, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
That's a shame. It can be next to impossible to insure an old house that needs work - ask me how I know! You may have to bring some things up to date. Letting a policy lapse is the worst thing anyone could ever do.
I know. Huge mistake on their part. We were trying to get them to just sell. Any house in their neighborhood that sells is razed and rebuilt. But they refuse to move.
We just never knew they'd let the policy lapse. But we are at the point where the roles are reversing between the parents and the kids and we are going to have to start asking questions like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida