Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2021, 12:36 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,342,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Within 40 years we will see water temps above 94f.

You also have to remember the water temps at the beach reporting stations are at the surface in very shallow waters.

Like Florida bay last year I saw temps hitting 94 degrees but at the surface in like 1 foot of water and near the surface.

Like go in the Caribbean Sea. That parts with some of the highest ocean heat content in the World and in August that water might only be 85 degrees but it extends down really deep. Those waters of 90 degrees are due to land heating and right at the surface at the beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2021, 05:02 PM

30,433 posts, read 21,255,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
You also have to remember the water temps at the beach reporting stations are at the surface in very shallow waters.

Like Florida bay last year I saw temps hitting 94 degrees but at the surface in like 1 foot of water and near the surface.

Like go in the Caribbean Sea. That parts with some of the highest ocean heat content in the World and in August that water might only be 85 degrees but it extends down really deep. Those waters of 90 degrees are due to land heating and right at the surface at the beach.
I fished offshore for over 30 years. Have to run over 100 miles west of Tarpon springs to get in over 450ft. Nothing like the fished out southeast coast where you go 3 miles offshore and be in 160 to 1500 ft.

Old 05-26-2021, 08:43 PM

Quote:
I fished offshore for over 30 years. Have to run over 100 miles west of Tarpon springs to get in over 450ft. Nothing like the fished out southeast coast where you go 3 miles offshore and be in 160 to 1500 ft.

Yep. Like in the winter the Gulf is actually warmer further offshore than it is at the coast a lot of times when you're near the loop current.

Right now our water temp profile looks more winter like. Cooler waters on the shelf and the loop current is warm. That's due to the cool nights we are having and wind direction. That will change over the next few days.

This year our waters are running cooler than normal compared to this time last year in the Gulf. A lot cooler. Could also explain the delayed start to rainy season with less humidity and more stability due to the cooler gulf.

Old 05-27-2021, 12:32 PM

521 posts, read 870,209 times
Quote:
Yep. Like in the winter the Gulf is actually warmer further offshore than it is at the coast a lot of times when you're near the loop current.

Right now our water temp profile looks more winter like. Cooler waters on the shelf and the loop current is warm. That's due to the cool nights we are having and wind direction. That will change over the next few days.

This year our waters are running cooler than normal compared to this time last year in the Gulf. A lot cooler. Could also explain the delayed start to rainy season with less humidity and more stability due to the cooler gulf.
and delay red tide!

Old 05-27-2021, 03:52 PM

2,531 posts, read 1,863,511 times
Would love to have intense thunderstorms on a daily basis with 70 mph wind.

Old 05-27-2021, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
Would love to have intense thunderstorms on a daily basis with 70 mph wind.
Me also. Nothing like we used to have in the 1970's when it comes to rain in the summer since we went to a west flow over 30 years ago. I see almost no rain in the summer anymore. No more cold weather vs the 1980's. It is changing so fast to much warmer and less and less rain.

Old 05-28-2021, 04:08 PM

10,951 posts, read 3,695,520 times
Well...Memorial Day and Weekend are here, and the Rains in Fl OFTEN mess up this Holiday Weekend...It looks from all Weather Reports out there that this year will not be a different one, it seems that the rains arrive on Sunday thru the End of the Holiday and further into the entire 1st week of June.

I hope is TRUE !!! I am not goinn anywhere and if it Rains from Sunday on Down, we are all quite happy here.

Old 05-28-2021, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huasho View Post
Well...Memorial Day and Weekend are here, and the Rains in Fl OFTEN mess up this Holiday Weekend...It looks from all Weather Reports out there that this year will not be a different one, it seems that the rains arrive on Sunday thru the End of the Holiday and further into the entire 1st week of June.

I hope is TRUE !!! I am not goinn anywhere and if it Rains from Sunday on Down, we are all quite happy here.
I would love a stuck TS and get 12" of rain in a day ray.

Old 05-28-2021, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Me also. Nothing like we used to have in the 1970's when it comes to rain in the summer since we went to a west flow over 30 years ago. I see almost no rain in the summer anymore. No more cold weather vs the 1980's. It is changing so fast to much warmer and less and less rain.

I lived in Naples for 10 years before moving back to St. Louis. I moved back to FL 6 years ago.

The early 90s we'd get big time thunderstorms in the summer in Naples. I mean pretty intense lots of wind, rain and lightning. Then around 2000 it seemed to really dry out. Inland would get more storms.

Old 05-29-2021, 04:19 AM

Quote:
I lived in Naples for 10 years before moving back to St. Louis. I moved back to FL 6 years ago.

The early 90s we'd get big time thunderstorms in the summer in Naples. I mean pretty intense lots of wind, rain and lightning. Then around 2000 it seemed to really dry out. Inland would get more storms.
As the years went on past the 1980's the axis of the high has been south of the Tampa area giving us a west flow. Way south down around Naples the axis was still north of you guys so you and south FL get much more of a east flow vs Tampa north. Since i moved right on the gulf from Tampa in 04 i have had summer after summer that is dry while just 2 to 20 miles inland has had 5 times the rain i get. Not even 10" total last summer from June thru Sept.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida