Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 09:25 AM

3 posts, read 5,647 times

Advertisements

I've been trying to access the above wersite recommended by SoFlGal and keep receiving the message that it has been temporarily removed. I am then redirected to the site of FL Gov. Rick Scott. Does amyone know anything about this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 06:21 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTmigrant View Post
I've been trying to access the above wersite recommended by SoFlGal and keep receiving the message that it has been temporarily removed. I am then redirected to the site of FL Gov. Rick Scott. Does amyone know anything about this?
The FL Gov discretely got the site removed. It was never announced....just gone, like you are experiencing.

A local newspaper did some research on it. The gov does most of his business verbally, because he doesn't want official record of what he does, since his emails are public record. Anyway, his office SAYS that he simply transferred the responsibility of the Insurance Web Site to another team. And it was "temporarily down" since the new team hasn't taken ownership yet. This was at least 6 months ago that all this occurred.

In reality, the Gov supports businesses over Floridians. He got rid of the web site and it likely will not come back. He is the boss and nobody can make him put it back. His office is stretching the truth by saying that it was a simple reorganization and only down temporarily. I saw through that lie when I read the news article many months ago.

Here is a news article from June 2011 about it.
http://www.heraldtribune.com/article...ICLE/110629791

Old 05-28-2012, 06:47 AM

1 posts, read 3,350 times
Default eay formula

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennySquirrel View Post
Is the Homeowners Insurance still outrageous? Say I want to buy a $250,000 home. Can you give me an idea of what it will cost to get into the home and what the Insurnace rates will be? Isn't there inpact fees? etc?

Thanks!
If your house was built before 2002 you can plan around a .01% rate ($2500).. If post 2002, .005% rate ($1250)..

Tim Shaw Insurance

Old 05-28-2012, 03:14 PM

227 posts, read 856,483 times
Try this website for homeowners insurance comparison. Challenge My Rate

Old 05-29-2012, 06:41 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,176,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueridgerider View Post
I just tried that and saw the company I have, but the quote was almost $500 less than what I am paying. It asked if you wanted replacement of contents but never asked how much or if you wanted sink hole or how much liability etc.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:56 AM

569 posts, read 1,059,154 times
Does that site include things like wind and flood insurance? Also, does anyone know where I could get maps of the different zones for flood and wind and an estimate of how much they would affect a home, condo, etc.? I found the FEMA site for the FIRM, but all the links to view the maps seem broken.

I understand there's a lot of variability depending the construction, age, and other factors, but I want to get a rough idea of the cost of different areas. When determining the viability of a long-term home investment in FL, this seems like one of the more difficult things to get a grasp on. It seems like a bad idea to buy a $180k place that I'll pay off in 10 years if I'm going to continue to spend $8,000 as a mandatory yearly cost, whereas $1200 / year isn't nearly as impactful. (I just pulled those numbers out of thin air)

Old 06-01-2012, 03:44 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,648,553 times
Buy a home built after 2004 and your rates will stay considerably lower. Each area can be so variable, especially if it is a coastal county so you just need to get quotes on a home by home basis.
Just to give you an idea, I pay $758 for $306K in coverage. That is with the catastrophic sinkhole coverage not the comprehensive.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:13 AM

569 posts, read 1,059,154 times
thanks for the info. Unfortunately, that makes house hunting really difficult if I need to get an individual quote for every single house or condo I even want to consider looking at

Old 06-01-2012, 07:44 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times
The county planning office typically has all the good GIS software that lets them (and you) know flood zone status on a parcel by parcel basis.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:37 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueridgerider View Post
That is incredibly bogus. As mentioned, far too many variables to correctly quote. Age, location, square footage, zone, sliding glass doors, specialized windows, fireplaces, attached garage, age of heating system, plumbing, roof, customization, construction materials, insurance score, credit score, claims history...need I go on?

That's just a way to get you to be put on a pestering list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida