Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2022, 04:47 AM

4 posts, read 2,840 times

Advertisements

Can a low income apartment complex enforce a 10 PM curfew where the tenant needs to be in their room and not be able to go outside to smoke?
No kids in the complex. And it's not in the lease when signed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2022, 09:09 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clearmike58 View Post
Can a low income apartment complex enforce a 10 PM curfew where the tenant needs to be in their room and not be able to go outside to smoke?
I would say probably not enforceable unless the local municipality has something on the books that would uphold that.

Old 10-26-2022, 12:23 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
Considering the number of people in those kinds of buildings who probably work either swing shifts or overnights, that gets to be very, very iffy.

I could see very strict rules about noise and no loitering within X number of feet of a doorway being reasonable if people who live near the doors are disturbed by loud groups of smokers.

Old 10-26-2022, 04:21 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clearmike58 View Post
The wording of this person's very first post ever on CityData has me curious.

By "low income apartment complex" do you mean "prison?" I ask, because you say the tenant needs to be in their "room" - and can't go outside to smoke. And no kids in the complex. Further curious wording: Not in the least "when signed" - when who signed? And if it wasn't in the lease when you signed, did it magically appear in the lease at a later date? Is the lease up for renewal and the new lease imposes a curfew?

Last I heard, apartment complexes had apartments, also known as units. But never have I heard of an entire whole apartment, even a studio apartment, referred to as a room.

Which low income apartment complex is this? Is it a transition complex for homeless folks and/or drug addicts, who are in the program for rehabilitation and re-introduction to independent living? If so, then they absolutely can, and should, have a curfew. They have strict controls, because the tenants have already proven they lack self-control. This is a way to get them used to a more structured regimen. Up at 6, brush your teeth, go to the bathroom, straighten your room, have breakfast, maybe a meeting, maybe go to a job. Come home and wash up for dinner (or prepare dinner if it's your turn or it's your job while you're a member of this complex), eat dinner, maybe more meetings or other early evening activities. Then quiet reflection/reading time, then bed by 10.

Once you're on your own again, you have learned HOW to adhere to a routine, and have that as a tool to create your own.

I doubt this person will be back, it's probably a troll post. But just in case, my curiosity is sincere.

Old 10-26-2022, 04:55 PM

30,395 posts, read 21,215,773 times
Never heard of such a thing. Can't be done.

Old 10-27-2022, 02:21 AM

This notice was sent to my neighbors phone from the complex
New set of rules here in this complex. ...
Hello Residents,
As of today 10/25/22 the property curfew will now be 10pm everyday. Please be in your units by this time. Courtesy Patrol will enforce this. Thank you for understanding.
Thank you, Management
For clarification: 10pm- no hanging out on either porches, in the common area, or in hallways. Please be in your room. If you are coming home, please head to your unit. Smokers you need to be in your unit by 10pm as well.
Thank you, Management

Old 10-27-2022, 02:23 AM

The apartment complex is Westgate

Old 10-27-2022, 05:28 AM

17,115 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Lol. I don’t think this is enforceable. “No loitering,” perhaps, but I don’t think anyone can prevent you from hanging out on your own porch.

Old 10-27-2022, 05:55 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,464,793 times
It said they have patrols.
Why violate its rule?

Old 10-27-2022, 06:00 AM

5,213 posts, read 3,009,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
The wording of this person's very first post ever on CityData has me curious.

By "low income apartment complex" do you mean "prison?" I ask, because you say the tenant needs to be in their "room" - and can't go outside to smoke. And no kids in the complex. Further curious wording: Not in the least "when signed" - when who signed? And if it wasn't in the lease when you signed, did it magically appear in the lease at a later date? Is the lease up for renewal and the new lease imposes a curfew?

Last I heard, apartment complexes had apartments, also known as units. But never have I heard of an entire whole apartment, even a studio apartment, referred to as a room.

Which low income apartment complex is this? Is it a transition complex for homeless folks and/or drug addicts, who are in the program for rehabilitation and re-introduction to independent living? If so, then they absolutely can, and should, have a curfew. They have strict controls, because the tenants have already proven they lack self-control. This is a way to get them used to a more structured regimen. Up at 6, brush your teeth, go to the bathroom, straighten your room, have breakfast, maybe a meeting, maybe go to a job. Come home and wash up for dinner (or prepare dinner if it's your turn or it's your job while you're a member of this complex), eat dinner, maybe more meetings or other early evening activities. Then quiet reflection/reading time, then bed by 10.

Once you're on your own again, you have learned HOW to adhere to a routine, and have that as a tool to create your own.

I doubt this person will be back, it's probably a troll post. But just in case, my curiosity is sincere.
A prison. That is a big stretch there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida