Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2020, 09:07 AM

100 posts, read 78,802 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are thinking about retiring to Florida. We originally wanted to retire to Hawaii, but after much research found it was totally unaffordable. We are currently living in Texas and are downsizing. I have done some limited research and it looks like Cape Coral is a good area with new homes and close to the beach. We are looking for a small home (preferably new) around $200k. A quick internet search pulls up some areas with new homes in that price range (small is OK - 2-3 bedrooms, 1.5 to 2 bathrooms).

I have never even been to Florida, hubby visited when he was a child. But we are both ocean lovers. California is out for the same reason as Hawaii - too expensive. Texas beaches (unless you go further south of Galveston) are just not pretty. I would love your opinion on retiring to this area. Is it safe, affordable? What about sea level/hurricanes, etc. Is it sunny most of the year? Looks like the low temps get around 60 at night in the winter months, which is OK, but we want warm and sunny most of the year. What about medical facilities?

I appreciate anyone's input and if you can offer any other cities relatively close to the beaches (either side of Florida is OK - Gulf or Atlantic) that are affordable and safe for retirees, please chime in! Note: we don't really want a 55+ community like the Villages because I think most of those communities have associated monthly maintenance dues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2020, 09:16 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,514,081 times
There are other states besides Florida you can retire to and enjoy beach and ocean-LA,Alabama,Mississippi,
ALSO Mexico!!
As for TX,what about Corpus Christie,Padre Island.

Old 10-24-2020, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
There are other states besides Florida you can retire to and enjoy beach and ocean-LA,Alabama,Mississippi,
ALSO Mexico!!
As for TX,what about Corpus Christie,Padre Island.
Yes, true. But we are really interested in finding more about Florida. Yes, Corpus and Padre Island are excellent choices for Texas. We really aren't interested in LA, Alabama or Mississippi. Mexico has some great areas, but with everything that is going on in the world right now, we'd rather stay in the US. Costa Rica is also beautiful and affordable, but the for the same reason as Mexico we'd rather not consider.

Old 10-24-2020, 10:56 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,339,603 times
There is a forum for Fort Myers/Cape Coral. You should post there and read all the previous threads about Cape Coral.

Old 10-24-2020, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTraveler View Post
There is a forum for Fort Myers/Cape Coral. You should post there and read all the previous threads about Cape Coral.
Got it - thanks!

Old 10-25-2020, 06:08 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,060,677 times
You need to up that budget if you want a brand new single family home in CC or look for a condo/townhome/coach home.

Do a quick search, not many homes available in CC for the 150-200k range and they are not new homes.

Old 10-25-2020, 08:42 AM

25,887 posts, read 12,918,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
You need to up that budget if you want a brand new single family home in CC or look for a condo/townhome/coach home.

Do a quick search, not many homes available in CC for the 150-200k range and they are not new homes.

I agree with this post. I doubt you'll find a new single family home in Cape Coral for $200,000, or less. Maybe an attached home/duplex, or a townhome...just not single family.

To get a sngle family home in that price range, you'll need to go inland, probably more than 30 minutes to any beach....and it might be on a septic tank, and not city water/sewer.

I was just in Cape Coral 2 weeks ago. I stayed at a historic Inn out on Pine Island, but went through Cape Coral to get to it, & picked up provisions in CC for my stay.

Its a huge boating and fishing area for middle class retirees. Its one of the least expensive places to have a boat lift in your backyard in Florida. It's very Conservative politically, & they are not shy about it, so know that going in.

Much of it seemed very low lying to me, lots of standing water after storms, so check on the flood zoning before buying anything there. You want AE or better...here's a link for you

https://www.mapwise.com/maps/florida/hazards.php

Old 10-25-2020, 09:34 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,060,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I agree with this post. I doubt you'll find a new single family home in Cape Coral for $200,000, or less. Maybe an attached home/duplex, or a townhome...just not single family.

they won’t find a duplex in that range either, but they could purchase one and use the other side as a rental. Right now a 2/2 in CC is going for $1200 and 3/2 is doing for 1300. More is there’s a garage.

To get a sngle family home in that price range, you'll need to go inland, probably more than 30 minutes to any beach....and it might be on a septic tank, and not city water/sewer.

Cape Coral is already more than 30 mins to the beach. They could try North Fort Myers or BFE Cape Coral, but even out in the boonies is getting pricey and you need to know about the assessments as well...how much and /or have they been paid.

I was just in Cape Coral 2 weeks ago. I stayed at a historic Inn out on Pine Island, but went through Cape Coral to get to it, & picked up provisions in CC for my stay.

Cape Coral is huge... did you ever go south of Pine Island Road?

Its a huge boating and fishing area for middle class retirees. Its one of the least expensive places to have a boat lift in your backyard in Florida. It's very Conservative politically, & they are not shy about it, so know that going in.

Actually, it s a mix between families and retirees. And a class brackets live here... rich and poor. It’s growing by leaps and bounds and most are families.

Much of it seemed very low lying to me, lots of standing water after storms, so check on the flood zoning before buying anything there. You want AE or better...here's a link for you

Again, how much of CC did you see? Is there so standing water? Yes, but it doesn’t stand long... it drains very quickly. The only time there’s long standing water is of there’s a heavy heavy downpour. Flood insurance isn’t even required in many parts of the city.

Op: Cape Coral is a large city, but you won’t find a brand new home for 200k. You might find a budget builder but you’re going to get a budget home. Look in Fort Myers for townhomes, condos or coach homes in your price range. Cape has some, but not as many as Fort Myer does and again, they won’t be brand new.

Old 10-25-2020, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post

Thank you. I looked at Zillow and found a few new homes for around 197k+. The builders are Carpenter Homes and Chris Allen Homes. Not sure if they are located in a good or safe area.

Old 10-25-2020, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post

I found some new homes for around 200k - Chris Alan Homes and Carpenter Homes - not sure exactly what part of town they are in. Thirty minutes from a beach isn't bad. Right now in Houston, we have to drive 1.5 hours to Galveston and it's not even a nice beach. We are conservative - so we would fit right in - lol.

Thanks so much for the flooding hazards Map, very helpful!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida