Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2020, 11:33 AM

2,141 posts, read 1,210,311 times

Advertisements

Mmmmmmmmm a salty red fish :P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2020, 07:58 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,845,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
Lol. Ok. You are really grasping at straws and I'm not going to waste any more time with your nonsense.

Though, tell you what... can you find a reputable dictionary that does NOT consider hacking merely the unauthorized access to a computer or network? You just claimed there is no consensus on the dictionary results Google provides (from Oxford and Merriam-Webster), even though they all define it the same, for which the Florida Statute also does, regardless of whether the Florida Statute uses the term "hacking" instead of "computer crimes"... You can't ACTUALLY be this dense, can you? This is an act, right?
So that also went over your head, I think I get it now. Let me take one last shot. Whatever dictionaries you, or I, find may define a word but they do not define a law. The statute itself and what it describes as unlawful activity is the only definition that matters and I see none that are so vague as simply stating "hacking" is a crime. You may include the Florida statute (the one that never mentions "hacking") for what ever purposes you deem fit even while it does nothing to address my comments.

Old 12-18-2020, 08:04 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,845,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
What did I just read???

LOL
The pertinent part that you don't seem to grasp is that while there may be both state and federal charges for similar actions, each must be addressed separately according to the definition within, not according to the personal opinion of the appropriate definition of any one person.

Perhaps this discussion is best left on the shelf until such time as the subject may or may not be charged with anything and the state is required to support that which exists within the law rather than simply within the opinion of anyone.

Old 12-19-2020, 09:40 AM

18,460 posts, read 8,287,342 times
How the media creates panic > https://img.ifunny.co/images/fe0a9ba...50f74d84_1.jpg

Old 12-19-2020, 10:29 AM

17,206 posts, read 15,412,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
Exactly.

Old 12-19-2020, 10:31 AM

17,206 posts, read 15,412,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Once you understand there is financial gain for higher covid numbers reported, then follow the money.

Again ... dying with Covid-19 is different than dying FROM Covid-19.
Exactly. And this financial gain is quite large too.

Old 12-20-2020, 01:28 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,636,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
So that also went over your head, I think I get it now. Let me take one last shot. Whatever dictionaries you, or I, find may define a word but they do not define a law. The statute itself and what it describes as unlawful activity is the only definition that matters and I see none that are so vague as simply stating "hacking" is a crime. You may include the Florida statute (the one that never mentions "hacking") for what ever purposes you deem fit even while it does nothing to address my comments.

Over MY head? Lol. No.

Florida, in our Statutes doesn't use the term "hacking", as it's not much of a legal term. Instead we call it "computer crimes". It just so happens that the description of computer crimes in the Statute matches up with the well regarded dictionary definition for hacking.

You are playing games because you can't just admit you are wrong. At this point, I'm not going to engage anymore with you.

Old 12-20-2020, 01:34 PM

"Breaching any computer or the networks associated to them is considered hacking and is only a crime if the information contained within or attached to is stolen, or maliciously modified by the perpetrator. However, unauthorized use of another person's email account or other unapproved access of another individual or personal or company computer may lead to a computer hacking charge if the person or entity chooses to file criminal charges.

The state will usually pursue criminal hacking charges of these types under the Florida Computer Crimes Act although computer crimes are hardly ever limited to a particular locality. Because of this probability, many hacking cases are prosecuted by the federal government. Florida's computer related crime laws can be read by following this link.

In Florida a conviction for hacking as well as other cybercrimes are prosecuted as a third degree felony punishable by up to five years in prison as well as a fine of up to $5,000, or both. If the illegal activity creates in excess of $5,000 in damage, Florida state laws increase the offense to a second degree felony penalized by a term of imprisonment of up to fifteen years and a fine in of up to $10,000, or both. This sentence also holds true if the results of the hack hampered or interrupted state governmental operations or public services, or is perpetrated in a scheme to commit fraud or theft. In a case where it can be proved that human life was endangered, the violation is raised to a first degree felony, punishable by a term of up to thirty years in prison and a fine of up to $10,000, or both."

https://www.southflalaw.com/computer...2C%20or%20both.

Old 12-20-2020, 01:35 PM

Florida Computer Crimes Laws
Created by FindLaw's team of legal writers and editors | Last updated February 26, 2018

As a category, "computer crimes" include unlawful acts related to computers, computer systems, and computer networks. The individuals who participate in computer crimes are often known as "hackers." Common hacking activities range from unauthorized use of another person's email account or computer to unauthorized access with an intent to cripple an entire large-scale computer network. The Florida Computer Crimes Act is split into two types of offenses: crimes against intellectual property and crimes against computer users.

https://statelaws.findlaw.com/florid...imes-laws.html

Old 12-20-2020, 05:21 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,417,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
Florida Computer Crimes Laws
Created by FindLaw's team of legal writers and editors | Last updated February 26, 2018

As a category, "computer crimes" include unlawful acts related to computers, computer systems, and computer networks. The individuals who participate in computer crimes are often known as "hackers." Common hacking activities range from unauthorized use of another person's email account or computer to unauthorized access with an intent to cripple an entire large-scale computer network. The Florida Computer Crimes Act is split into two types of offenses: crimes against intellectual property and crimes against computer users.

https://statelaws.findlaw.com/florid...imes-laws.html
According to the news accounts (since again, none of us have access to the ACTUAL accounts at this point yet)...

and using the above as the criteria...

she hasn't violated any hacking laws. Why not? Because she claims she was GIVEN access to the information by people who were authorized to have the information. So - she did not have unauthorized use of another person's e-mail account or computer. And the other possible criteria was intention to cripple the network - which she isn't accused of doing, and no one has suggested otherwise.

People who were authorized to have info, gave her info, or gave her access to info. And, she used that info she was given by people who were authorized to have it.

Now - THEIR bosses might have needed to sign off on the giving of the info. But that doesn't make -her- the criminal. It makes the people giving her the info in violation of work policy.

That's if you choose to go with the "innocent until proven guilty" thing, which is supposedly a big deal in the USA. Or used to be, once.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida