Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2021, 06:16 PM

2 posts, read 5,222 times

Advertisements

Guys,
Can some one put me out of my misery as I am trying to decide on place to settle in the near future?
Background:
My wife is looking to relocate to South Florida next year. We currently live in Chicago metro and do not have detailed information as what it is like liiving in either of those cities mentioned in the title. We have visited both places several times for a few days last and this year and both of these cities seem nice and appealing with its own flavors.
My wife is a sales professional in food and bev industry and I am in telecom working for large cable operator. I am 56 years old and do feel the age but my wife is 44 and feels like in her 30th. She likes energy and enterteinment with night life as well as outdore activites and fitness. Also she is facinated by latin dance and music. She is more appealed to the city vibes and more attractred to younger crowed. She likes spanish folks and lationo culture.I am more laid back but do not mind occasional trips to clubs and restaurants. I found great passion to gulf beaches and send quality buit again I was not in everywhere on the Atlantic side to make a judgment , althouth Miami beach is exciting but again it is an only a beach I was at on atlantic ocean. One thing is look at everything as a turist and another thing as a resident . This is where I need people's opinion if I were to choose between Doral and Sarasota/Naples that are oppiste sides in South Floroda. What would you suggest/recommend to consider? I love Naples more for it's pristine view and cleanless but my wife loves Doral more because it is more entertaining and younger population. Safety is also a concern beside quality of life in general. Considering demografics and everything else mentioned above, what would you recommend ? Forgot to mention, we have a daughter 19 and she is looking for public college next year (community or simmilar) Social life for her is an importent as an ability to make friends and hang out. Public transit also is a concern as she does not drive yet. Any suggestions would be greartly appreciated. I woud like to hear from folks who knows any or both places as to live and not to visit for a few days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2021, 11:34 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,335,667 times
56 and 44? Naples and Sarasota will feel VERY old compared to the Miami area. Southwest Florida is for older folks. I'm 38 and Southwest FL feels very old to me. I lived in Naples for 10 years when I was a kid before moving back north for 10 years. Naples was older crowd back then but feels even older now.

Manatee County on south to Collier County is the oldest median age area of Florida.

Okay, you're 56 But I mean people like in their mid 60s and higher. Especially during season it will seem a lot older than you. I'm 38 but I don't consider 56 "old."

Your wife being 44 might feel a bit different though being in an older area. Now I don't like Miami because it's very expensive and congested.

Tampa might be another alternative. It's younger there too than SWFL and being from Chicago it will be a large city so everything within a shorter distance.

I'm from St. Louis myself and used to everything being within 20 miles of me which was amazing. Here in Southwest FL I gotta drive 40-50 miles or more for stuff. If you live in Sarasota might have to drive up to Tampa. Being in the Miami area everything will be close by being a major city.

At least with Sarasota, Tampa is still not a super far drive though if you want stuff to do.

Naples might be different. big city is a long long drive to the East Coast or Tampa. And being your wife is only 44 years old I know I wouldn't want to live in Naples, especially if I were single and younger.

If heavy traffic and congestion is no big deal for you being used to Chicago traffic then I'd go with Doral. Otherwise Tampa might be one to consider too.

Your daughter is 19 though which is also a HUGE factor why I wouldn't recommend Southwest FL. When I lived in Naples in high school everyone wanted to move out of southwest FL because they were bored with it and everything being centered around older folks. Many of them no longer live in the region now.

This is why I think Tampa would be a more logical choice for a 19 year old then SWFL. If you're living in Dade County one also might want to know Spanish too. Cost is also a factor too. Not sure how good your job pays working for a cable company, BUT it's very expensive in the Miami area, especially where you mentioned. Unless I had a doctor's salary I wouldn't live around there because it wouldn't be in an area I'd want to live in.

Old 11-02-2021, 08:30 AM

2 posts, read 5,222 times
Excellent feedback. Just what i was looking for!!!!
Thank youvery much.

Old 11-07-2021, 06:54 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
Based on your whole situation I would consider Tampa. Lots of Latino/Spanish vibe there (especially with Ybor City) much younger (and more balanced) ages overall, and fairly easy drive to Sarasota or St. Pete for beaches and even more things to do.

Naples is waaaaay too old and sleepy, your wife would be bored stiff....

Old 11-07-2021, 08:30 AM

361 posts, read 258,659 times
What jumped out in your post was the desire for public transit for your daughter. Getting around on buses in Tampa wouldn't be my idea of fun. I think her quality of life in Florida would be much better if she got her licence before coming here.

Old 11-07-2021, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf coast jon View Post
What jumped out in your post was the desire for public transit for your daughter. Getting around on buses in Tampa wouldn't be my idea of fun. I think her quality of life in Florida would be much better if she got her licence before coming here.
Doesn't seem very safe to me, especially in a major city like Tampa. I wouldn't ride Public Transit in any major city!

Old 11-23-2021, 09:27 PM

5,587 posts, read 8,399,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post

I'm from St. Louis myself and used to everything being within 20 miles of me which was amazing. Here in Southwest FL I gotta drive 40-50 miles or more for stuff. If you live in Sarasota might have to drive up to Tampa. Being in the Miami area everything will be close by being a major city.
Hey, I was just curious as to what "stuff" you're talking about that you have to drive 40-50 miles for. I'm assuming you mean for major concerts or nightlife? Otherwise, I can't think of anything that Sarasota doesn't have nearby.

Anyway, OP, as soon as I read that your wife is 44 and looking for major nightlife, I was going to tell you to cross Sarasota off the list.

Old 11-23-2021, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Hey, I was just curious as to what "stuff" you're talking about that you have to drive 40-50 miles for. I'm assuming you mean for major concerts or nightlife? Otherwise, I can't think of anything that Sarasota doesn't have nearby.

Anyway, OP, as soon as I read that your wife is 44 and looking for major nightlife, I was going to tell you to cross Sarasota off the list.
That too. Major sporting events are in Tampa. I'm in Punta Gorda. For more stuff gotta drive to Ft. Myers, or if you want a big city gotta drive 100 miles to Tampa.

Moving to SWFL from a major city takes getting adjusted to.

The layout of FL in general is very spread out. It has major cities but very suburban.

Like Missouri for example nearly everyone lives in KC, Stl or Springfield.

Stl is basically the engine of Missouri. If you live in the Stl or KC area everything is within 20 miles.

But living in Ft. Myers, Punta Gorda or Naples is a lot different than Sarasota. Big nearby cities or Miami and Tampa. At least with Sarasota Tampa is just an hour away.

When you really think of it, Sarasota is basically an extension of the Tampa area now.

When I lived in naples from 91 to 2002 Sarasota was called Southwest FL a lot. Now I hardly ever see Sarasota being lumped in with Southwest FL anymore.

Even Venice is hardly ever called Southwest Florida. same with North Port too now. Like our local news stations rarely ever do stories in North Port unless it's really major. I believe North Port now gets Tampa news stations too now?

I guess with all the growth Sarasota had it gravitated towards being lumped in with Tampa more?

Old 11-26-2021, 05:57 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,867,759 times
Doral (Miami area) far and away makes more sense than either Sarasota or Naples. Sarasota skews older and while it has some nightlife/things to do pails in comparison to Miami/South Florida. Naples is smaller yet and older too overall. It's a very seasonal town with peak activity Nov-April. It can be very expensive in terms of restaurants or shopping driven by the typically loaded second homeowners there for several months. Doral seems a weird place to land unless basing it on a visit where you hadn't gone anywhere else in the area. Check out places like Weston, Pembroke Pines, Miramar, Coral Gables or South Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida