Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2022, 12:40 PM

14 posts, read 15,382 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
We want to eventually become “snow birds”. I want Latin America but my wife is a bit more conservative and wants Florida. So we’ll compromise and go with Florida!

We are basically ready to start exploring with the thought of driving down, exploring certain desirable places then maybe renting a week or more or at time, then after a year or so, renting for most of the winter (if feasible), and then finally buying something if prices are right.

We are 56 years old, and make our income from 4 apartment buildings consisting of 22 units of rental real estate that we own where we live in Central Maine (Waterville / Winslow). We know we’d be much better off financially just renting every winter, even if for only a month or so here and there, but we are attached to “ownership”.

We know it’s expensive, but we really have our hearts set on being right on the ocean and being able to take long walks on the beach. Let’s say St. Pete is about as far north as acceptable and we’re leaning toward gulf coast vs. Atlantic. We may explore Cape Coral, but also Venice and surrounding (Nakomis, Englewood, even Sarasota). LOVE to be Sanibel, Marco Island but most likely too pricey. Open to East Coast if it’s more affordable. (And given our desire for beach front, beach walks, this may end up being our focus anyway once we go thru the elimination phase)

That all being said, I’d love to hear any thoughts you have, especially the “where?” Here is what’s important to us, in order of importance, as best I could.

1. MUST HAVE ON the ocean (as in hearing the surf if we open our window)
2. 2BR / 2BA minimum
3. Must have pool & hot tub on site (bonus for exercise room)
4. Town where it’s somewhat laid back (at least not spring breakish) but NOT deserted. We’d like to be able to get to a few nice restaurants and shopping within, say 10-15 minute drive, or even 2-3 minute walk down the beach. A couple of bars to hear live music, etc.
5. Bonus: Can let friends or family “rent it out” once in a while without HO association having a fit.

Perhaps a list of things we like / dislike would help too.

LOVE: healthy food, long walks, exercise, laying by a quiet poolside reading. Hearing the ocean and gulls. I would like to fish and snorkel once in a while, but one of my favorite things is long walks around 5 in the morning, especially on the beach.

DO NOT LOVE super popular spring break areas. We don't want a place that we have to 'stay away from' certain times of the year. (We love to GO to those places just not live!)

DO NOT LOVE: We don’t play golf, and don’t really appreciate museums, “botanical” gardens, fast food, trendy bars full of twenty somethings. We’d like to be far enough south that there is little chance of “enduring” a 55 degree week during the winter. I’m a guitar player and want to “solo” from time to time, so at least a handful of bars where they play live music would be great.

We’ve got friends with Condo in Venice and they speak highly of it. Also heard good things about Sarasota area … So the areas we’re considering are : Venice, Englewood, Naples, Sarasota, Marco Island, Cape Coral, St. Pete. We LOVE (visiting) KW so bonus points the further south it is for faster travel to KW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2022, 01:18 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,248,521 times
What is your budget?

Old 01-08-2022, 04:42 PM

2,327 posts, read 2,276,900 times
You don’t explicitly say it, but it sounds like you’re looking for a condo?

Old 01-08-2022, 07:32 PM

Here’s some feedback on the places you listed:

Venice- It’s a very good fit for you. The beaches aren’t quite as nice as further north, but downtown Venice is a great bonus.
Englewood- Pretty remote, but it’s also a bit cheaper than other places listed.
Naples- The downtown area is very very expensive so you can eliminate it.
Sarasota- Lido Key would be ideal. It’s expensive, but also worth it.
Marco Island- I’m not sure, haven’t been there in a long time.
Cape Coral- Not on the beach so forget it.
St. Pete- It’s a good fit with way more to do than the other locations. I have a feeling Tierra Verde could be a great spot for you.

Old 01-08-2022, 07:53 PM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Budget really determines a lot.

I’m thinking if you want Latin America meets Florida, you may want to look in South Florida, like Aventura, Boca Raton, etc. It will be a lot busier with a little more “showey”, and prices in that area will be quite high, even higher than Venice and Sarasota.

Old 01-08-2022, 08:02 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,823,637 times
Why not try a different place each year for several years? Maybe throw in South America/Costa Rica once or twice. After a few trips, double back to your favorite and start planning for long-term.

I tried out several Hawaiian Islands and a few spots in Mexico before deciding on Maui. I've been here for 8 years and plan to stay for life.

Old 01-08-2022, 10:41 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,335,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
Here’s some feedback on the places you listed:

Venice- It’s a very good fit for you. The beaches aren’t quite as nice as further north, but downtown Venice is a great bonus.
Englewood- Pretty remote, but it’s also a bit cheaper than other places listed.
Naples- The downtown area is very very expensive so you can eliminate it.
Sarasota- Lido Key would be ideal. It’s expensive, but also worth it.
Marco Island- I’m not sure, haven’t been there in a long time.
Cape Coral- Not on the beach so forget it.
St. Pete- It’s a good fit with way more to do than the other locations. I have a feeling Tierra Verde could be a great spot for you.

I see nothing wrong with the beaches in the Englewood, Venice area.

Old 01-09-2022, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
I see nothing wrong with the beaches in the Englewood, Venice area.
Darker sand south of the Venice inlet… They have more sharks teeth though so that’s a plus.

Old 01-09-2022, 08:05 AM

451 posts, read 455,735 times
Being Mainers , I would think you would prefer the Ocean. In that vein, I would suggest Stuart or Jupiter.

Old 01-09-2022, 11:11 AM

200 posts, read 156,944 times
I'd stay out of SW FL from what you mentioned, it's becoming or already is many of the things you really don't like. I would agree looking into the islands (Carib) or Costa Rica by reading what you like to do...even I'd look at Cabo before deciding on FL, being future snowbirds, not full time residents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida