Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2008, 08:17 AM

25 posts, read 95,451 times

Advertisements

I am moving to florida within the next few months. I am looking for tips on relocatin to make my move cheaper and go smoothly. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 08:45 AM

26 posts, read 97,949 times
There's a website called moveadvocate.com. What they do is solicit bids from different moving companies on your behalf. There is no charge to you. If you are planning to buy a place where you are moving to, then a realtor can help you in your transition. Big tip - get rid of junk and things you don't want or need. Don't spend money transporting junk and cheap furniture. Sell it. Moving is expensive and moving el cheapo furniture isn't worth it. You'll see when you get the prices for moving vans.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:54 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,440,752 times
I have always gotten my boxes for free. I haunt Walmart and other places while they are restocking the shelves. I also got boxes from central supply at the local hospitals as well. I found a place that normally sells to the trade and bought a HUGE roll of plastic paper with the air bubbles in it. Its alot cheaper that way.

I also found the dumpster where the guy who delivers the newspapers to the town, threw his extras and nabbed them for my breakables. I gathered as many plastic tubs that I could for the breakables.

I was lucky because my brother has a really long trailor that could hold all my furniture. I also made a trip once on my own and pulled a Uhaul myself.

Because we bought a house after we moved here, we had to load the stuff into a storage unit until the house was purchased and closed on. We have a great one just down the road that would take the uhaul AND had the storage places.

Good luck to you, moving is a pain.

Old 05-22-2008, 08:27 AM

986 posts, read 3,551,072 times
I would recommend using POD. We did when we moved and they are fantastic. They drop the pod off, you fill it up at your leisure, they take it away and store it for you, then when your ready for it they deliver it to you and you empty it at your leisure. There is a monthly fee dependent on the size of pod you choose, a delivery and pick up fee etc. We found it cheaper than a storage unit.

Hope this helps

Old 05-23-2008, 07:07 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,440,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfIfan View Post
I would recommend using POD. We did when we moved and they are fantastic. They drop the pod off, you fill it up at your leisure, they take it away and store it for you, then when your ready for it they deliver it to you and you empty it at your leisure. There is a monthly fee dependent on the size of pod you choose, a delivery and pick up fee etc. We found it cheaper than a storage unit.

Hope this helps
The people we bought this house from did that. AND the neighbors across the street did the same thing. I think it sounds like an awesome idea and so much more convenient then many of the other options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida