Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2022, 07:17 PM

1,094 posts, read 808,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
Well, picking Alabama as the alternative was probably the first mistake haha...

I haven't watched this video yet and only really watch ones that pique my interest. He puts out so much stuff at one time that I'd be spending too much time watching someone drive around. Anyway, in one of his recent videos about Tampa, he did say that he tries to contrast himself from the vast majority of Florida-living YouTube channels, most of whom are real estate agents using YouTube for lead generation. Since I don't watch every video like I would a TV show, I can't judge whether this is truly just his shtick in the YouTube space to distinguish himself, or if we are seeing him struggle with personal issues unbeknownst to him in real time.

A lot of these Florida-living channels tend to only show the prettiest areas and act like everything here is just perfect. Unlike the real estate agents running these channels, who of course, have a personal interest in getting you to act on your interest in possibly moving here, the Southern Life guy shows you the best and the worst areas of the cities he films. When he came to Orlando, he showed Windermere ($$$$) as well as Parramore and Orange Blossom Trail. On another note, he described Altamonte Springs as Hialeah with trees, which I thought was a trash comparison.

Your Orlando real estate agent YouTuber will have 25 videos in a row about Lake Nona, Horizon West, Celebration, Dr. Phillips, Winter Park, and then newer developments in Clermont and Davenport as the "affordable" options.

In fairness, I have seen plenty of "10 Bad Things about [City], Florida" or "5 Bad Things about Florida" videos pop up in my suggestions on YouTube from some of these Florida living channels, but they are small in comparison to the overwhelmingly positive ones these channels produce.
I understand and that's what attracted me to him because he shows the side of Florida nobody talks about, but his negative experience in Naples doesn't speak for every Floridan and his negative experience of Alabama doesn't speak for every Latino, heck I know plenty of young working class people that are thriving in Florida and the South in general despite their race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2022, 07:34 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,748,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker96 View Post
I understand and that's what attracted me to him because he shows the side of Florida nobody talks about, but his negative experience in Naples doesn't speak for every Floridan and his negative experience of Alabama doesn't speak for every Latino, heck I know plenty of young working class people that are thriving in Florida and the South in general despite their race.
I want to comment on the race thing, but I might come back to that later.

Southern Life currently has 44,000 subscribers. YouTube has 2,000,000,000 active users worldwide and 200,000,000 active users in the US. (I originally wrote K, billion, and million, respectively, but changed it to full numbers to accentuate the point.) Like I inferred earlier, he's competing for views against a high number of "Florida Living" real estate agents producing mostly overwhelmingly positive content with the hopes that viewers will call their real estate office if they choose to relocate to that Florida city. The Southern Life YouTube channel is not having a formidable influence on the general population's view of Florida at all.

Old 02-12-2022, 08:39 PM

283 posts, read 289,420 times
Odd theme for a Vlog. I watched a couple of his past videos and he's usually pretty complimentary of certain Florida cities. I think there are some other things going on in his life, nothing related to the state of Florida, that is making him appear like a curmudgeon.

You want to watch videos about Florida, made by a happy, adventurous guy that is content with his life, go search "Tampa Aerial Media" on Youtube.

Old 02-12-2022, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorlyn View Post
Odd theme for a Vlog. I watched a couple of his past videos and he's usually pretty complimentary of certain Florida cities. I think there are some other things going on in his life, nothing related to the state of Florida, that is making him appear like a curmudgeon.

You want to watch videos about Florida, made by a happy, adventurous guy that is content with his life, go search "Tampa Aerial Media" on Youtube.
I saw some of Tampa Aerial Media, he's pretty good. I agree that's it's something going on in his personal life as to why he's always unhappy wherever he lives. The reason I made this post is that I have seen many people who share similar sentiments about Florida thinking Florida was the problem when in most cases it wasn't Florida it was themselves. Floridians complaints about Florida are not different from how New Yorkers complain about New York minus the weather.

Old 02-13-2022, 06:01 AM

9,362 posts, read 14,304,816 times
Quote:
Are You Unhappy With Florida or You Just Unhappy
Here is a trustworthy saying: “you can change your sky, but you can’t change your mind.”

Having said that, it may take some experience and maturity to understand why that is a trustworthy saying.

As a result, it is understandable that a young or otherwise immature human would hurl blame on external circumstances and be unconscious of internal problems, and so leaving a place to gain other experiences may also be worthy of recommendation for a human in such a state of mind.

At a certain point, however, whiners and complainers are no longer worth listening to.

Old 02-13-2022, 09:13 AM

2,580 posts, read 3,748,013 times
While y'all are playing armchair psychologists with Southern Life, here are some con videos about Florida from some of the myriad of Florida real estate agents with YouTube channels. Are they disappointed with their lives here too? How can they do that while simultaneously hoping they can score leads with people interested in living here?

"Worst Things About Living in Florida" by Melanie Loves Tampa Bay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-caEBuLCLsg

"Avoid moving to Florida - unless you can handle these 10 negatives" by Living in Fort Myers Florida - Craig Cuhna
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NANvmH2Qed8

"Bad Things about Sarasota, Florida | Sarasota Real Estate" by Jill Thomas
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRKRkH_0kS0

"WORST Things about Living in Tampa" by Tampa Florida Living
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eVSbIvuDhw

"Bad things about living in florida" by Mathison-Klein Group at Keller Williams Elite Partners III Realty
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1CxtuO6BTk

I know people in new(er) media like to claim they are not like "old" media (ex. the Spotify podcaster situation), but they are more alike than they are willing to admit. You have to do what you have to do to get those views and clicks. Like they say, "if it bleeds, it leads...." That's why we're talking about it here. No one has posted about the thousands of glowingly positive Florida living videos and channels. Notice our posts on C-D get more views than interactions. Many of the readers lurking on the forum are now going to go search for Southern Life, thus increasing his views, subscribers, and ultimately Adsense revenue. What a win for him!

Oh, and look at the description on Southern Life's about page. I swear I didn't read this until this morning, but it confirms EXACTLY what I wrote yesterday. Him not sugarcoating is part of his brand. It's his way of contrasting himself from the others. While not a realtor, he has some sort of relocation consulting service.

https://www.youtube.com/c/FLORIDAHOODVLOGS/about
Quote:
This channel is to HELP people MOVING to the SOUTH. To offer REAL information free from the flattering and sugar coated talk of realtors. Honest Talk about PLACES, TOWNS. Formally "Southern Hood Vlogs" - Formally "Florida Hood Vlogs" This channel keeps evolving and redefining what it is to adapt to the needs of our subscribers. Every once n a while we troll a town.
He then provides an email if you want his consulting service.

Old 02-13-2022, 02:12 PM

I posted a thread about the Youtube channel Florida With Five which have a more positive perspective on Florida but it got taken down for whatever reason. Clickbait is the name of the game when it comes to being a Youtuber, but I just wanted to use his video as a way to show that you can trash Florida and leave it, but if you don't have the right attitude about wherever you are moving to, you won't be happy. In order words, your attitude is what makes the place great or not. I know plenty of people who are happy living in a cold rust-belt city. It's all about perspective.

Old 02-14-2022, 12:49 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,782,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker96 View Post
I posted a thread about the Youtube channel Florida With Five which have a more positive perspective on Florida but it got taken down for whatever reason. Clickbait is the name of the game when it comes to being a Youtuber, but I just wanted to use his video as a way to show that you can trash Florida and leave it, but if you don't have the right attitude about wherever you are moving to, you won't be happy. In order words, your attitude is what makes the place great or not. I know plenty of people who are happy living in a cold rust-belt city. It's all about perspective.
This is true and the people with a bad attitude make an area ... bad when you are ... around them.

Old 02-19-2022, 01:11 PM

30 posts, read 35,434 times
It's a clickbait title- "Top 10" videos are wildly popular still.

Old 02-19-2022, 06:31 PM

18,434 posts, read 8,268,923 times
Naples is absolutely packed with hispanics......it's him....not Naples
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida