Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2022, 06:53 PM

2,614 posts, read 1,208,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincho-toot View Post
The culture in Miami is just too weird. Its a weird vibe. Its the only major metro I am aware where people look down on you because you ...don't buy into the materialistic culture of the place.
I guess you haven't spent a lot of time in NYC or LA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2022, 06:39 AM

30,416 posts, read 21,222,541 times
I am a very unhappy pappy with the weather that has changed so much since i started keeping records in the 1970's. Hot year round and very little rain.

Old 06-05-2022, 06:42 AM

64 posts, read 53,365 times
Don't care for the overcrowding and the calibre of the new transplants. Obnoxious

Old 06-05-2022, 07:18 AM

17,285 posts, read 22,006,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker96 View Post
I just watched a video from Youtuber Southern Life. He was originally Florida Hood Vlogs but changed his name after moving to Alabama. He was unhappy with Florida and came to Alabama. He thought Alabama would solve his problems be he left because he said he encountered racism and death threats. He moved back to Florida last summer and now he's back trashing it. I think he has the grass is greener on the other side syndrome. I'm sure he's not the only person who feels this way. I know plenty of people who aren't happy where they live regardless. A lot of Floridians are unhappy with what the state has turned into. Most people leave and move back to wherever they came from, or go the halfback route like move to NC or TN. For those who left Florida, do you feel that Florida made you unhappy or that you were just an unhappy person?

Met a guy 25 years ago and he had that syndrome........where ever he was from was awesome (suburb of Chicago), where he is sucks for some reason but wherever he is going next is going to be the best.

Fast forward, I just saw him again at a funeral.........NOTHING has changed. He has had 30+ jobs in his post college career, has found no financial success and is still griping about stuff that has no correlation to his issues. Gov. DeSantis is the reason that he would never move back to Florida? Really? The crazy cost of housing has nothing to do with it? The lack of a high paying job for you isn't a bigger part of the equation?

Fact is, many people migrate to Florida to fix their problems. Relocate to Florida and suddenly all of my failures/bad habits will disappear! Can't hack it in Hackensack then move to Flariduh! Main Street, Midwest is holding you back, move to Miami and become a youtuber, buy a yacht and live the dream! Detroit drug habit keeping you down, move to Daytona and the sunshine will take away all your problems!

Most people get here, find out it is way more expensive than they dreamed, no network of friends/family to fall back on, suddenly working 2 jobs to live in a crappy apartment and the beach they thought they were going to go to everyday after work is not happening.

Go down to the Florida Keys and it really becomes a drop off point for the nation's losers! They all think they are going to find Jimmy Buffet grilling "Cheeseburgers in Paradise" yet fail to realize he is a multimillionaire that lives in Palm Beach!

This video is the prequel for people moving to Florida:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ad5paRXNWVg

Old 06-05-2022, 07:23 AM

17,285 posts, read 22,006,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
Like I inferred earlier, he's competing for views against a high number of "Florida Living" real estate agents producing mostly overwhelmingly positive content with the hopes that viewers will call their real estate office if they choose to relocate to that Florida city. The Southern Life YouTube channel is not having a formidable influence on the general population's view of Florida at all.

People search for stuff they want to see, mansions and palm trees!

Nobody is searching for "look at my sh!ttty life in Florida videos"

Old 06-05-2022, 09:15 AM

64 posts, read 53,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
People search for stuff they want to see, mansions and palm trees!

Nobody is searching for "look at my sh!ttty life in Florida videos"
You may be correct, but we're already getting run over with ch itty people already, many were ch itty in their home cities before getting here as well.

Florida is not a panacea for anything, that's why I say the USA has 49 other states - don't NY my Florida, don't CA my Florida.

Old 06-05-2022, 10:25 AM

12 posts, read 9,473 times
FL is best for wealthy people or happy couples. I wouldn't recommend it if you are single, unless you like the club scene.

Old 06-05-2022, 11:39 AM

10,067 posts, read 14,935,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Fact is, many people migrate to Florida to fix their problems. Relocate to Florida and suddenly all of my failures/bad habits will disappear! Can't hack it in Hackensack then move to Flariduh! Main Street, Midwest is holding you back, move to Miami and become a youtuber, buy a yacht and live the dream! Detroit drug habit keeping you down, move to Daytona and the sunshine will take away all your problems!
There are times when moving to another state could work for your benefit if where you are has too much of your type of business and the new place too little or at all, but the latent demand is there. Business failure in one place could spell business success in another doing the same thing.

With that said, running away from problems doesn't always work because your problems runaway with you. It's as if there is a crazy glue keeping you two together and the reason is very simple: to see the creator of the problems simply look at a mirror. You can be next to pines or palms, covered in a coat or in shorts. When you look at the mirror it shows you the origin of all your problems.

Old 06-05-2022, 01:30 PM

2,614 posts, read 1,208,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeirksDentley View Post
Don't care for the overcrowding and the calibre of the new transplants. Obnoxious
Especially the ones from NYC.

HORRIBLE!

Old 06-05-2022, 01:37 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,451,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020's YouTube Vlog View Post
I guess you haven't spent a lot of time in NYC or LA?
Been to LA, not been to NY yet. NY doesn't give me materialistic vibes, maybe Manhattan but not the rest of the city. Actual native New Yorkers tend to be more rough around the edges. LA has a materialistic streak but its got a more alternative streak to it. Its much easier for someone who is into the punk subculture, for example, to find their niche in LA and especially NY, than Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida