Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2022, 12:49 AM

7 posts, read 3,897 times

Advertisements

New member, 30 year old single guy living in Minnesota currently.

Has anyone recently moved from out of state into a single family house, I’m wondering if it’s possible to execute this plan:

-Find house(s) & schedule showings - ideally for 3-5 houses

-Book a flight down there for 5-6 days and tour the houses in 1-2 day time span - has anyone been able to schedule showings or do self-guided tours with the crazy demand?

-Apply for one that I like (I know many of the houses avail are from hedge funds & am aware of the game they’re playing…trying to avoid them, but if someone has experience renting from them please chime in)

-Get the lease signed during the time I’m down there (I’m most cases this timeline is in the hands of the leasing agent)

-Take the signed lease to the DMV (along with my vehicle’s title), become a FL resident, and get my new license plate to bring back to MN. Install on my vehicle and gear up for the move.

Not sure if this is possible given the current state of housing supply. However, I definitely don’t want to sign for a house site-unseen to only arrive after the fact of signing a 12 month lease & the house stinks like mold, neighborhood sucks, etc. And would also like to get the DMV nonsense out of the way while I’m “out of town” instead of having it be something I have to do when I’m trying to get settled into my new home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2022, 06:42 AM

1,277 posts, read 1,090,194 times
What part of Florida and budget? Florida is becoming very overpriced. For example, some homes like a 2/1 are going for $2,500 in Tampa Florida for rent.

Old 04-25-2022, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjairo191 View Post
What part of Florida and budget? Florida is becoming very overpriced. For example, some homes like a 2/1 are going for $2,500 in Tampa Florida for rent.
The Tampa suburbs is where I’m looking. Westchase (not much for rentals there), East Lake, Keystone, Trinity, Oldsmar, L’o’Ls, Lutz, Wesley Chapel & Zephyrhills. The newer the house the better. Budget of $2500-3000/mo. which could be flexible to $3250 for the right home (having a pool) if the landlord is a decent company (not a hedge fund) or is someone local.

Getting closer to 3k there is less competition. My main question is regarding getting the lease, becoming a resident & getting a license plate all done in one trip like stated above.
I’ve read that the DMV does a vin + mileage inspection, if this is the case, I’m assuming I’d have to have my vehicle present in order to reg & plate.

Last edited by Unscripted61; 04-25-2022 at 07:47 AM..

Old 04-25-2022, 10:18 AM

1,848 posts, read 3,727,639 times
If your lease shows a start date in the future, you aren't a resident yet. You will need two forms of documentation showing you are a resident, like utility bills etc. This is to avoid those saying they are moving here, get a license but don't actually move.

And yes you would have to have your vehicle with you to get tags.

Personally, I've never heard of self-guided tours of rentals, unless it is from the owner.

I think you are trying to cram too much into that time frame. Not sure why you feel the need to do it prior to moving.

Old 04-25-2022, 10:30 PM

2,218 posts, read 4,371,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unscripted61 View Post

-Take the signed lease to the DMV (along with my vehicle’s title), become a FL resident, and get my new license plate to bring back to MN. Install on my vehicle and gear up for the move.
No.

https://www.flhsmv.gov/new-resident/

You need two pieces of paperwork proving that you are a resident: the lease is only one.

You need proof of Florida insurance.

Your car needs to be inspected before or at initial registration. In other words, the car must be physically in the state.

Legally you have 30 days to take care of this after taking up residency. And to be honest, the DMV won't care if you are over the 30 days. They won't ask and they won't check.

Old 04-28-2022, 02:04 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,693,411 times
What's the rush to get the license plate changed? Just move down and get it done after you've moved. You'll have time to do that....

Old 04-28-2022, 03:18 PM

8,070 posts, read 4,746,263 times
Quote:
-Find house(s) & schedule showings - ideally for 3-5 houses
Also, I would increase that number...like maybe triple it, because people are snapping up decent houses so quickly. If you come here with five appointments, I would expect all of those to be sold or at least under contract within a week. If you have 15 options, maybe 3-5 will still be available! Have enough options so that your trip won't be a waste of time and money.

Setting so many deadlines will only encourage you to make hasty decisions you might later regret.

Old 04-28-2022, 03:32 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unscripted61 View Post
The Tampa suburbs is where I’m looking. Westchase (not much for rentals there), East Lake, Keystone, Trinity, Oldsmar, L’o’Ls, Lutz, Wesley Chapel & Zephyrhills. The newer the house the better. Budget of $2500-3000/mo. which could be flexible to $3250 for the right home (having a pool) if the landlord is a decent company (not a hedge fund) or is someone local.

Getting closer to 3k there is less competition. My main question is regarding getting the lease, becoming a resident & getting a license plate all done in one trip like stated above.
I’ve read that the DMV does a vin + mileage inspection, if this is the case, I’m assuming I’d have to have my vehicle present in order to reg & plate.
That's a wide swath of real estate, do you have any other criteria besides "new"? Something new in Zephyrhills or Land O Lakes is going to be completely unlike Oldsmar or East Lake for instance which are arguably the best locations of the group for things to do in/around Tampa-St Pete.

Old 04-28-2022, 04:00 PM

26 posts, read 27,169 times
So before you fly down for the showings are you going to be pre approved? Just curious because I am in a similar situation. I'm looking at renting but I have to get my Fla. drivers license first ( required for employment) and in order to get approved for a rental I have to show my income.

Last edited by digidaze; 04-28-2022 at 04:02 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 05-05-2022, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
Also, I would increase that number...like maybe triple it, because people are snapping up decent houses so quickly. If you come here with five appointments, I would expect all of those to be sold or at least under contract within a week. If you have 15 options, maybe 3-5 will still be available! Have enough options so that your trip won't be a waste of time and money.

Setting so many deadlines will only encourage you to make hasty decisions you might later regret.
I’m looking at renting, not buying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida