Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2022, 10:52 AM

4,475 posts, read 3,843,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
TECO is not third world. Why so much hyperbole? Clearly you are close to hysteria. TECO average 10 momentary outages a year, so you're either lying for cause or just bad at math.
Not hyperbole or hysteria. Do you even live in Tampa?

Ask people who live in South Tampa and Seminole Heights and West Tampa how often their power goes out. Don't ask TECO.

Ask the Public Service Commission how many complaints are filed about frequent power outages in Tampa. Don't ask TECO.

Go on the Next Door app (or other sites) and count how many times outages are reported in Tampa. Don't ask TECO.

Of course you think it's fake news because it doesn't affect you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2022, 10:59 AM

14,961 posts, read 9,794,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Not hyperbole or hysteria. Do you even live in Tampa?

Ask people who live in South Tampa and Seminole Heights how often their power goes out. Don't ask TECO.
Sure it is. Your entire messaging is hyperbole. Forest for the trees.

I don't live in Tampa but I retired from Florida Power & Light and know the inner workings of electric utilities. Tampa has problem with home owners not want to trim trees and easements. Do you realize the cost associated with underground distribution utilities? of course you don't, but you will B&M to the cows come home. The sky is not falling and Florida is a great place to live.

Sarasota requested the conversion... https://wusfnews.wusf.usf.edu/news/2...ricane-outages

Old 07-21-2022, 11:32 AM

17,142 posts, read 15,350,560 times
Quote:

I don't live in Tampa but I retired from Florida Power & Light and know the inner workings of electric utilities. Tampa has problem with home owners not want to trim trees and easements. Do you realize the cost associated with underground distribution utilities? of course you don't, but you will B&M to the cows come home. The sky is not falling and Florida is a great place to live.

Sarasota requested the conversion... https://wusfnews.wusf.usf.edu/news/2...ricane-outages
Right. It's not Tampa exclusive.
A few years back, I had to route a feeder tie from this Kepler feed to New York Ave in Deland near the State College
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.0214...7i16384!8i8192

One lone resident did not want to allow for a pole to be placed on his property, nor did he want to trim the trees. The only cost-effective way to achieve anything was through an ugly road crossing in front of his house. He asked if we could design that tie to be underground. SURE we could. But it would cost a ton, he'd have to bring it up with the city/county, and SOMEONE would have to fund it.
So, overhead it is, with a ton of trees in the way.
New York Ave in that area is Underground, so the feed ties into the underground there. But none of the residents wanted to pay for it, so as it stands, there are giant 3-phase primary poles along that street right now.

Old 07-21-2022, 12:55 PM

Quote:

"Messaging"? I don't have any messaging. Those are your words. "The sky is falling" are also your words, not mine.

I have simply stated the facts that it's hot in Florida, there are frequent power outages in Tampa, and standby generators are selling like hotcakes in my neighborhood. Call Generac. They'll tell you. Or don't. I don't care what you believe or don't believe.

"The sky is not falling" for me; I spend my summers elsewhere. Now, if I'm a California, NY or other transplant planning to live year-round and WFH in certain parts of Florida, I wanna know if I can run 5 miles without being hot and sweaty at 5 a.m. from May to October (you can't), and/or I wanna know if you can depend on the power grid in certain parts of Florida (depends on where you live, right down to the street). So hopefully this information helps someone out there.

Last edited by sinatras; 07-21-2022 at 02:09 PM..

Old 07-21-2022, 02:37 PM

27,169 posts, read 43,867,759 times
Quote:
Try visiting some of the Springs. Sometimes you just have to explore and forget what others 'say'.
https://www.keepersofthesprings.org/florida-springs

and Kayaking
https://www.google.com/search?q=Kyac...afJyLcIwxqAeTM
They have springs in other states as well as kayaking too, and I'm well aware of the "attributes" of Florida's interior geography as a native.

Old 07-21-2022, 03:06 PM

27,169 posts, read 43,867,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Right. It's not Tampa exclusive.
A few years back, I had to route a feeder tie from this Kepler feed to New York Ave in Deland near the State College
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.0214...7i16384!8i8192

One lone resident did not want to allow for a pole to be placed on his property, nor did he want to trim the trees. The only cost-effective way to achieve anything was through an ugly road crossing in front of his house. He asked if we could design that tie to be underground. SURE we could. But it would cost a ton, he'd have to bring it up with the city/county, and SOMEONE would have to fund it.
So, overhead it is, with a ton of trees in the way.
New York Ave in that area is Underground, so the feed ties into the underground there. But none of the residents wanted to pay for it, so as it stands, there are giant 3-phase primary poles along that street right now.
It's a Florida infrastructure issue and growing too fast to accommodate upkeep of exsiting power grids, never mind what is being built out. I live in an area replete with the latest in below ground upgrades and a slew of concrete poles/wire prior to Hurricane Michael. 65 homes (our whole subdivision) in the center of Sanford/Lake Mary were without power for 2.5 days and through incessant complaints of neighbors (we were surrounded by homes who lost power for just several hours) FPL finally got a crew out that determined some switch housed in one of those neighborhood utility boxes had tripped and either wasn't showing itself on a control unit somewhere else or was on someone's long list to check out. The point being after replacing a freezer full of food that we felt secure enough to not worry about because of upgraded systems, there's clearly a problem keeping up/maintaining equipment. The presence of out-of-state power crews (Pike Power out of NC) performing upgrades the past couple of years lends some proof to that.

Old 07-21-2022, 03:30 PM

17,280 posts, read 22,006,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
With the exception of the beaches on the Gulf side, FL is one of the ugliest states in the U.S., IMO.
I'd love to know where else you have traveled!

Ever seen Hoboken NJ? Biloxi MS? Leavenworth KS? Portland?

Old 07-21-2022, 03:33 PM

17,280 posts, read 22,006,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
It's a Florida infrastructure issue and growing too fast to accommodate upkeep of exsiting power grids, never mind what is being built out. I live in an area replete with the latest in below ground upgrades and a slew of concrete poles/wire prior to Hurricane Michael. 65 homes (our whole subdivision) in the center of Sanford/Lake Mary were without power for 2.5 days and through incessant complaints of neighbors (we were surrounded by homes who lost power for just several hours) FPL finally got a crew out that determined some switch housed in one of those neighborhood utility boxes had tripped and either wasn't showing itself on a control unit somewhere else or was on someone's long list to check out. The point being after replacing a freezer full of food that we felt secure enough to not worry about because of upgraded systems, there's clearly a problem keeping up/maintaining equipment. The presence of out-of-state power crews (Pike Power out of NC) performing upgrades the past couple of years lends some proof to that.
https://pikeelectric.com/about/

They aren't an out of state power crew........they are a contractor that fixes power grids for anyone that wants to hire them!

Old 07-21-2022, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
https://pikeelectric.com/about/

They aren't an out of state power crew........they are a contractor that fixes power grids for anyone that wants to hire them!
I don't know anything about Pike Electric, but I've had crews from Ohio, NY and countless other states come down my street and tell me our power infrastructure is "prehistoric". Lines that are dangerously dangling. Transformers that should have been replaced a long time ago, etc.

Speaking of which, there's something I don't miss while I am summering elsewhere: Flickering lights! Happens all up and down the houses in my Tampa neighborhood. Of course if you are of a more mature vintage, you might not even notice. But my 93 year old neighbor with glaucoma does. His comment: "That's what happens when you live in Florida." He kids got him a generator. Nice kids.

Old 07-21-2022, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post

You are lucky. My street was without power for 8 days after Irma, which hit Tampa as a tropical storm. Less than 70 mile an hour winds!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida